Larry Bud

Default Make your own "Y" dust collector Adapter fittings

When I built my dust collection system last year, I decided to make my
own fittings because they are so expensive. I bought a sheet metal
unfolding CAD program for some bucks, but it was still less than buying
premade fittings...

So I made up a bunch of templates for myself and was considering
selling them as a package on e-bay for something really reasonable
(like $20 for a bunch of different fittings). Think this might fly?
Here's a sample of a fitting (this one is 4x4x4) that you guys can try
out for a while.

http://www.areddy.net/wood/4x4x4.pdf
http://www.areddy.net/wood/Wye_Cover_Page.pdf

Let me know what you think!

Larry Bud

Larry Bud wrote:
When I built my dust collection system last year, I decided to make

my
own fittings because they are so expensive. I bought a sheet metal
unfolding CAD program for some bucks, but it was still less than

buying
premade fittings...

So I made up a bunch of templates for myself and was considering
selling them as a package on e-bay for something really reasonable
(like $20 for a bunch of different fittings). Think this might fly?
Here's a sample of a fitting (this one is 4x4x4) that you guys can

try
out for a while.

http://www.areddy.net/wood/4x4x4.pdf
http://www.areddy.net/wood/Wye_Cover_Page.pdf

Let me know what you think!

Oh crap, wrong links

http://www.areddy.net/wood/misc/4x4x4.pdf
http://www.areddy.net/wood/misc/Wye_Cover_Page.pdf

Larry Bud wrote:
When I built my dust collection system last year, I decided to make

my
own fittings because they are so expensive. I bought a sheet metal
unfolding CAD program for some bucks, but it was still less than

buying
premade fittings...

So I made up a bunch of templates for myself and was considering
selling them as a package on e-bay for something really reasonable
(like $20 for a bunch of different fittings). Think this might fly?
Here's a sample of a fitting (this one is 4x4x4) that you guys can

try
out for a while.

http://www.areddy.net/wood/4x4x4.pdf
http://www.areddy.net/wood/Wye_Cover_Page.pdf

Let me know what you think!

Getting "page cannot be found". Got another way to get to it?

Joe User

Larry Bud wrote:

Let me know what you think!

The math isn't working out for me. Instead of $5.99 for a 4" plastic Y
from Woodcraft (or wherever), I pay you $20 for plans so I can spend $6
on materials to make one. With that $0.01 difference, I have to make
2000 fittings to break even. I start saving a whopping $0.01 each
fitting when I make fitting number 2001.

That's even if I don't factor in trips to the emergency room because of
the sheet metal cuts. (:

I'd say more like $2 for a PDF file, or $5 or $7 for a set of paper
drawings, is more in line with what I'd pay.

-j

Larry Bud

Joe User wrote:
Larry Bud wrote:

Let me know what you think!

The math isn't working out for me. Instead of $5.99 for a 4" plastic

from Woodcraft (or wherever), I pay you $20 for plans so I can spend

$6
on materials to make one.

Granted, for plastic it may not make sense, but if you're using metal,
it would be cost effective just making 1 or 2 Ys. IF you need special
sizes it may make sense as well, such as a 6x6x4.

alexy

Joe User wrote:

Larry Bud wrote:

Let me know what you think!

The math isn't working out for me. Instead of $5.99 for a 4" plastic Y
from Woodcraft (or wherever), I pay you $20 for plans so I can spend $6
on materials to make one. With that $0.01 difference, I have to make
2000 fittings to break even. I start saving a whopping $0.01 each
fitting when I make fitting number 2001.

I'll say your math isn't working out! Lose $.01 on each one, but make
it up on volume? I think the metal wyes this would replace are more
expensive. But also I suspect smoother for better airflow than what I
would cobble together with tape.

That's even if I don't factor in trips to the emergency room because of
the sheet metal cuts. (:

I'd say more like $2 for a PDF file, or $5 or $7 for a set of paper
drawings, is more in line with what I'd pay.

Is that because you think it is okay to break even after "only" 200
fittings (if your example were modified to make the woodcraft price
$6.01)? g

alexy

"Larry Bud" wrote:

Joe User wrote:
Larry Bud wrote:

Let me know what you think!

The math isn't working out for me. Instead of $5.99 for a 4" plastic

from Woodcraft (or wherever), I pay you $20 for plans so I can spend

$6
on materials to make one.

Granted, for plastic it may not make sense, but if you're using metal,
it would be cost effective just making 1 or 2 Ys. IF you need special
sizes it may make sense as well, such as a 6x6x4.

Yes, I think the odd size is the real value. I have a main duct of 5",
but want to Y into it with 4" runs to individual tools. Is this just a
butt fit? Is the tape the only mechanical link between the pieces, and
how smooth is the joint versus a soldered joint?

Larry Bud

Yes, I think the odd size is the real value. I have a main duct of
5",
but want to Y into it with 4" runs to individual tools. Is this just

butt fit? Is the tape the only mechanical link between the pieces,

and
how smooth is the joint versus a soldered joint?

It is just a butt fit, but I've had GREAT success with both aluminum
tape and some padded aluminum tape. I haven't had any fall apart.

I need to take some photos of my shop so you can see what they look
like, and some of the things I've done.

Frank Stutzman

Joe User wrote:
Larry Bud wrote:

Let me know what you think!

The math isn't working out for me. Instead of $5.99 for a 4" plastic Y
from Woodcraft (or wherever), I pay you $20 for plans so I can spend $6
on materials to make one. With that $0.01 difference, I have to make
2000 fittings to break even. I start saving a whopping $0.01 each
fitting when I make fitting number 2001.

I only took a quick look at the pdfs. Didn't see dimentions on them, so I
suspect that you scale them to the size you need.

If thats the case, I don't see the value here if you are using 4" PVC.
However, I'm looking at using 6" PVC and those fittings are *expensive*.
A bit more than $20 apiece for a 6x6x4 wye is the best price I can find.
I'm going to consider this.

--
Frank Stutzman

Larry Bud

Frank Stutzman wrote:
Joe User wrote:
Larry Bud wrote:

Let me know what you think!

The math isn't working out for me. Instead of $5.99 for a 4"

plastic Y
from Woodcraft (or wherever), I pay you $20 for plans so I can

spend $6
on materials to make one. With that $0.01 difference, I have to

make
2000 fittings to break even. I start saving a whopping $0.01 each
fitting when I make fitting number 2001.

I only took a quick look at the pdfs. Didn't see dimentions on them,

so I
suspect that you scale them to the size you need.

No, you don't. The scale is not linear if you were to try to scale the
4x4x4 to 6x6x6 for example. The one I posted is for a 4x4x4 Y.

If thats the case, I don't see the value here if you are using 4"

PVC.
However, I'm looking at using 6" PVC and those fittings are

*expensive*.
A bit more than $20 apiece for a 6x6x4 wye is the best price I can

find.
I'm going to consider this.

I do have 6x6x4 drawing made up as well. I made all the combos between
4 and 8 inch (skipped 7").

Take a look at the documentation link I posted as well... I probably
should expand on the documentation and post of photos of me making one
of these.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
MAKE THOUSANDS OF POUNDS IN 20-60 DAYS. PLEASE LOOK AND READ. THIS IS NOT A SCAM Yomi41 UK diy 1 September 22nd 04 11:58 AM
Need Fan Curve of JET 1.5HP 1100 Dust Collector Jay Chan Woodworking 21 March 22nd 04 08:31 PM