Joe C.

Default Router Bit quality

I'm going to be looking at making some router bit purchases in the near
future. I would like to get "lifetime" bits rather than ones on the lower
end of the scale that I'll be unhappy with.

How would everyone rate/rank the quality of various well-known bit-makers?
ie, cmt, whiteside, woodcraft, pricecutter(.com), freud, etc....(This list
is by _no_ means meant to be complete).

Thanks in advance!

Joe C.

Joe,
Whiteside is number 1 in my book. Highest quality and I know Bill
Whiteside and his family. They are great people and run a top notch
facility. I have been to the factory several times and I am very
impressed with the operation and the people of Whiteside. You can not
buy a better bit anywhere. I like the fact that they are made in
America by Americans.
Mike from American Sycamore

Ba r r y

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:08:25 GMT, "Joe C."
wrote:

How would everyone rate/rank the quality of various well-known bit-makers?
ie, cmt, whiteside, woodcraft, pricecutter(.com), freud, etc....(This list
is by _no_ means meant to be complete).

I'm a HUGE fan of Whiteside bits.

Try these guys for good service and prices:
http://www.ballewtools.com/

No connection to either company beyond customer satisfaction.

CMT and Freud have been good for me too, they're my second choice for
good bits.

Barry
toller

I just read a magazine article (a couple years old) that compared router
bits from about a dozen manufacturers. They found no correlation between
price, reputation, and quality.

Accordingly, I buy from whomever I happen to be ordering from around the
time I need a bit, without worrying too much about the brand.

They didn't test any junk brands; presumably there is a good correlation
there.

Leon

"Joe C." wrote in message
I'm going to be looking at making some router bit purchases in the near
future. I would like to get "lifetime" bits rather than ones on the lower
end of the scale that I'll be unhappy with.

If you ever find that lifetime router bit, let us all know. I have bits
that I have had for 15+ years but if you use a bit much you will simply wear
it out.

Good Brands, CMT, Whiteside, Amana, Freud.

patrick conroy

"toller" wrote in message
news

I just read a magazine article (a couple years old) that compared router
bits from about a dozen manufacturers. They found no correlation between
price, reputation, and quality.

Maybe the same magazine that did the TiteBond III testing?
Or Consumer Reports.

I'd admit that "brand spanking new" bits hot out'a the bubble wrap probably
yield similar results - the low cost bits often wear out faster.

Whiteside, Infinity, CMT have been the most used in my shop.
I've bought a couple of MLCS (and one Katana) and have been pleased.

Woodcrafter

How would everyone rate/rank the quality of various well-known bit-makers?
ie, cmt, whiteside, woodcraft, pricecutter(.com), freud, etc....(This list
is by _no_ means meant to be complete).

I use CMT and Infinity. Both are good quality bits.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

#1. Whiteside from routerbits.com.

IMO Whiteside is good value, but slightly under Amana for top
quality--of course, you pay... The Whiteside bits I've had don't
seem honed quite as sharp and somewhat more brittle (prone to small
chipping). That said, they're still one of the best overall values of
"bang/buck".

#1. Whiteside from routerbits.com.

Roger Haar

HI

I am wondering if anyone makes extra long T shank
(Bosch style) jig saw blades? This weekend I
needed to cut off some 4X4 post and used my jig
saw. Power was no a problem but the outer reach of
the cut just got through the post. Not getting all
the way through is a good way to break a blade,
especially if holding things stable is difficult.

I have been through HD and Lowes and seen the
same blades that on a good day, just cut through a
4X4. Does anyone make longer blades with a T
shank?

Thanks
Roger
Doug Miller

In article , Roger Haar wrote:

I am wondering if anyone makes extra long T shank
(Bosch style) jig saw blades? This weekend I
needed to cut off some 4X4 post and used my jig
saw.

Dunno about the blades you're looking for... but you could use a reciprocating
saw (Sawzall) as an alternative. I have a blade for my recipro saw that will
cut through a 6x6 with ease.

--
Regards,

toller

"patrick conroy" wrote in message

"toller" wrote in message
news

I just read a magazine article (a couple years old) that compared router
bits from about a dozen manufacturers. They found no correlation between
price, reputation, and quality.

Maybe the same magazine that did the TiteBond III testing?
Or Consumer Reports.

I'd admit that "brand spanking new" bits hot out'a the bubble wrap
probably yield similar results - the low cost bits often wear out faster.

I did a google search and found it again; Fine Woodworking. We like Fine
Woodworking, don't we?
They found your Whiteside to be the best, but not much better than some that
were significantly cheaper.
The expensive PC and Jesada were terrible.
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00045.asp