AAvK

Default Veritas low angle block plane

I just got mine, and this plane is really well made and designed! It is heavy
and prescision machined to no fault. Everything is nice and thick. Do I
detect mini magnets screwed into the sides? The keep the blade centered
right at the mouth.

I have a block of soft wood and tried it out, don't know what the wood is
but looks like a medium dark red mahogany.

I set the blade two hairs out and the mouth four hairs open. This plane
jointed the wood of previous inaccuracies left by a fettled and sharpened
Bailey #5! In any case, I am superlatively impressed by the quality and
can only say, the price is entirely worth it! Buying more in the future!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK

Welcome to the club! Love my 3 Veritas planes.
David

Thanks. Which ones do you have?

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Edwin Pawlowski

"AAvK" wrote in message

I set the blade two hairs out and the mouth four hairs open. This plane
jointed the wood of previous inaccuracies left by a fettled and sharpened
Bailey #5! In any case, I am superlatively impressed by the quality and
can only say, the price is entirely worth it! Buying more in the future!

Last week I wanted to put a nice edge on about 8 feet of edging. I was
trying to decide on a roundover bit or a bevel bit on the router. Then I
spotted the LV plane and put a nice edge with a few passes of the plane. It
is just so sweet to glide along making a thin swirl of wood shaving. Much
quieter and cleaner than using a router.

Enjoy the plane. Every shop should have one.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 03:58:35 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"AAvK" wrote in message

I set the blade two hairs out and the mouth four hairs open. This plane
jointed the wood of previous inaccuracies left by a fettled and sharpened
Bailey #5! In any case, I am superlatively impressed by the quality and
can only say, the price is entirely worth it! Buying more in the future!

Last week I wanted to put a nice edge on about 8 feet of edging. I was
trying to decide on a roundover bit or a bevel bit on the router. Then I
spotted the LV plane and put a nice edge with a few passes of the plane. It
is just so sweet to glide along making a thin swirl of wood shaving. Much
quieter and cleaner than using a router.

Yep, I find myself going tail-less more and more also. A low-angle block
plane to break the edges instead of using a sander or router. I may
actually have made the break-through to using a smoothing plane, a scraper
plane, and a scraper instead of the ROS for final finish prep. It's
actually faster and quieter than stepping through 5 grits of sandpaper.
The only part that is giving me some grief is the transition from rail to
stile -- trying to keep that joint area smooth for each of the grain
directions is giving me a bit of a problem.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Lowell Holmes

"AAvK" wrote in message

I just got mine, and this plane is really well made and designed! It is
heavy
and prescision machined to no fault. Everything is nice and thick. Do I
detect mini magnets screwed into the sides? The keep the blade centered
right at the mouth.

I have a block of soft wood and tried it out, don't know what the wood is
but looks like a medium dark red mahogany.

I set the blade two hairs out and the mouth four hairs open. This plane
jointed the wood of previous inaccuracies left by a fettled and sharpened
Bailey #5! In any case, I am superlatively impressed by the quality and
can only say, the price is entirely worth it! Buying more in the future!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
http://www.e-sword.net/

I have two of their planes, a wheel marking gage, and a spokeshave. Their
latest tool I have is a less than $20 tool, the 3 in 1 marking gauge. If
you haven't paid attention to it, you should. :-)

Swingman

"AAvK" wrote in message

Bailey #5! In any case, I am superlatively impressed by the quality and
can only say, the price is entirely worth it! Buying more in the future!

Great plane for tweaking drawers and cabinet doors. I've been so impressed
with mine that I won't take it out of the shop ... anything that needs
tweaking comes to it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

AAvK

Last week I wanted to put a nice edge on about 8 feet of edging. I was
trying to decide on a roundover bit or a bevel bit on the router. Then I spotted the LV plane and put a nice edge with a few
passes of the plane. It is just so sweet to glide along making a thin swirl of wood shaving. Much quieter and cleaner than using
a router.
Enjoy the plane. Every shop should have one.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I definitely picked-up on that pleasure when I tried mine out for the first time.
Just awesome quality!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK

I have two of their planes, a wheel marking gage, and a spokeshave. Their
latest tool I have is a less than $20 tool, the 3 in 1 marking gauge. If you haven't paid attention to it, you should. :-)

Oh zhees I had seen that in the latest catalog and forgot about it, I coulda had
them toss one in the box easily! Oh well, next time.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK

Great plane for tweaking drawers and cabinet doors. I've been so impressed
with mine that I won't take it out of the shop ... anything that needs
tweaking comes to it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I get it... the plane gives you this special feeling that it is precious! But I will
take it to adult ed. and use it, and show it off... he he

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK

I bought a Lee Nielson low angle many years ago and it does the bulk of hand
planing in my shop.
max

Nice for you I bet. But for me, the Veritas is at the level of only saving up for one.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Ba r r y

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:07:29 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:

I am superlatively impressed by the quality and
can only say, the price is entirely worth it! Buying more in the future!

Me too. I now have the LA block, medium shoulder, large shoulder,
bullnose / chisel, cabinet scraper, and curved spoke shave. My
shoulder planes and the block are true workhorses and a joy to own.

I've got some old Stanley's like a #4 and some #5's with Hock irons,
but don't use them enough to justify replacing them with Veritas. I
used the #4 to put a final smoothing on some glue-ups yesterday, and
it still sings to me. I rarely use the #5's, doing most of what I'd
use them for with machines.

Barry
Ba r r y

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:02:56 GMT, "Lowell Holmes"
wrote:

I have two of their planes, a wheel marking gage, and a spokeshave. Their
latest tool I have is a less than $20 tool, the 3 in 1 marking gauge. If
you haven't paid attention to it, you should. :-)

Try the Saddle Square, it's surprisingly useful. I keep it in the
apron, 'cause the marks are rarely where they meet the blade. G

Barry
David

The medium shoulder plane, low angle smoother, and the scraper plane.
The scraper plane is AWESOME. In fact, all of them are fabulous tools
that work beautifully. Once I got ONE Veritas plane, I knew I'd be
getting more. Lucky for me, I got them as gifts!

Dave

AAvK wrote:
Welcome to the club! Love my 3 Veritas planes.
David

Thanks. Which ones do you have?

Silvan

David wrote:

getting more. Lucky for me, I got them as gifts!

You suck.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
David

Hey, you gotta tell 'em what you want for Christmas when the family
asks! Otherwise you'll be getting ties, slippers, and junk.

Dave

Silvan wrote:

David wrote:

getting more. Lucky for me, I got them as gifts!

You suck.

This Christmas my wife and I presented my parents with the Lee Valley
Christmas catalog with the items we wanted circled -- red for me,
green for her.

We are both very satisfied with what we got.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
AAvK

The medium shoulder plane, low angle smoother, and the scraper plane.
The scraper plane is AWESOME. In fact, all of them are fabulous tools that work beautifully. Once I got ONE Veritas plane, I
knew I'd be getting more. Lucky for me, I got them as gifts!

Dave

Oh... you lucky blessed DOG!

Alex

Conan the Librarian

Lowell Holmes wrote:

I have two of their planes, a wheel marking gage, and a spokeshave. Their
latest tool I have is a less than $20 tool, the 3 in 1 marking gauge. If
you haven't paid attention to it, you should. :-)

Yeah, I've got that one on order (plus that file/rasp holder
thingie). :-)

I've got a "few" of their tools ... like the low-angle block,
low-angle spokeshave, three wheel marking gages (hey, that way I can
leave them set up for repeat marking during a long project), their #80
clone, low-angle smoother, #151 spokeshave, scraper plane, marking
knife, dovetail marking gages, sharpening jig, etc., etc.

IMHO, they are all (with the exception of the sharpening jig)
outstanding tools and excellent values.

Chuck Vance (no affiliation ... other than the one a drug addict
has with his dealer)

thos

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:01:46 -0600, Conan the Librarian
wrote:

I've got a "few" of their tools ... like the low-angle block,
low-angle spokeshave, three wheel marking gages (hey, that way I can
leave them set up for repeat marking during a long project), their #80
clone, low-angle smoother, #151 spokeshave, scraper plane, marking
knife, dovetail marking gages, sharpening jig, etc., etc.

IMHO, they are all (with the exception of the sharpening jig)
outstanding tools and excellent values.

Chuck, what was it that you did not like about the sharpening jig?

thos

Geoff

If you are having difficulty with varying grain patterns, then you need
to use a high-angle frog. I love my LN planes, but I find that I need
to use the 50degree frog often to avoid tearing out tiny pits of wood.

Also, I rounded the corners of the blades and now leave no irritating
edge marks.

wrote:

I've got a "few" of their tools ... like the low-angle block,
low-angle spokeshave, three wheel marking gages (hey, that way I can
leave them set up for repeat marking during a long project), their #80
clone, low-angle smoother, #151 spokeshave, scraper plane, marking
knife, dovetail marking gages, sharpening jig, etc., etc.

IMHO, they are all (with the exception of the sharpening jig)
outstanding tools and excellent values.

Chuck, what was it that you did not like about the sharpening jig?

thos

I'm not Chuck, but I'll step in and say that the way the blade is held down
is a problem.
A brass screw holds the blade in place, but there is nothing to prevent the
blade from twisting side to side except for friction. And when it twists
counter-clockwise (when viewed from above) then it loosens the screw and can
slip.
They really need to fix that.

-j

Patriarch

Conan the Librarian wrote in
:
snip
I've got a "few" of their tools ... like the low-angle block,
low-angle spokeshave, three wheel marking gages (hey, that way I can
leave them set up for repeat marking during a long project), their #80
clone, low-angle smoother, #151 spokeshave, scraper plane, marking
knife, dovetail marking gages, sharpening jig, etc., etc.

Yabbut, we all _know_ you're addicted. In fact, you've been accused,
rightly, of pushing otherwise Normal folk over the quiet edge...

Patriarch,
up to two dozen handplanes, three shaves, a bunch of chisels and mallets,
maybe a dozen handsaws and, evidently, just getting started.

Yes, Rob's elves make nice tools.

Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:01:46 -0600, Conan the Librarian
wrote:

... snip
I've got a "few" of their tools ... like the low-angle block,
low-angle spokeshave, three wheel marking gages (hey, that way I can
leave them set up for repeat marking during a long project), their #80
clone, low-angle smoother, #151 spokeshave, scraper plane, marking
knife, dovetail marking gages, sharpening jig, etc., etc.

IMHO, they are all (with the exception of the sharpening jig)
outstanding tools and excellent values.

Second the comment on the sharpening jig, what were they thinking? OTOH,
the other sharpening jig that Lee Valley sells (the one that tightens on
the object being sharpened so it does not skew) is first rate.

Chuck Vance (no affiliation ... other than the one a drug addict
has with his dealer)

Yep.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

B a r r y

thos wrote:

Chuck, what was it that you did not like about the sharpening jig?

thos

I'm not Chuck, but I don't like the way the Veritas sharpening jig holds
small and/or narrow chisels and irons.

THIS is my all time favorite:
http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=105910&itemType=PRODUC T&iMainCat=10000&iSubCat=10049&iProductID=105910

Barry

George

wrote:

[...]

You can fix it. I have these pieces of plastic I use to fill out the width
for my blades.

If they do it, I imagine it'll look like the lateral limiters on their
planes.

Luigi Zanasi

On Tuesday 01 Feb 2005 6:50 pm, Daniel H scribbled:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Second the comment on the sharpening jig, what were they thinking?
OTOH,
the other sharpening jig that Lee Valley sells (the one that tightens
on the object being sharpened so it does not skew) is first rate.

(I personally haven't had any problem keeping my chisel bevels square
using the Veritas jig. It may take 2-5 seconds more of checking and
tightening, but I've not had any squareness problems yet.)

Same here. It has never rotated on me that I can remember. The trick is
to hold the square against the chisel as you finish tightening the
screw.

My only problem with the jig (sorry, guide) is that it doesn't work for
butt chisels. That's why I recently got the other "clamp on the sides"
jig, Robin.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email
Robin Lee

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:01:46 -0600, Conan the Librarian
wrote:

(snip)

IMHO, they are all (with the exception of the sharpening jig)
outstanding tools and excellent values.

Second the comment on the sharpening jig, what were they thinking?

OTOH,
the other sharpening jig that Lee Valley sells (the one that tightens on
the object being sharpened so it does not skew) is first rate.

Chuck Vance (no affiliation ... other than the one a drug addict
has with his dealer)

Yep.

(snip)

Oh well -

I actually disagree with both Mark and Chuck - but that;s what keeps
multiple vendors/manufacturers in existence!

Truth is - the best is whatever works for you....no one jig of anyone's will
handle all sharpening...

For general interest/comments - I'll recycle a post I made on a BB on the
same subject (below)...

Cheers -

Rob

.....OK, since you asked, I'll give you my complete unvarnished
opinion...with digressions, and small rants...

I've used that guide for more than 15 years, and have few issues with it -
and maintaining the squareness isn't one.

One of the best (and worst) things to happen in the woodworking industry
over the past 20 years, has been the general increase in availability (and
the decrease in price) of accurate measuring tools - primarily as a result
of increased trade with China. 20 years ago, few woodworkers would have had
a micrometer, dial indicator, dial caliper, or even a passing interest in
measurement or tolerances of most tools. There were just good products, not
so good products, and bad products.

Today - the average consumer in our industry is an order of magnitude more
educated about, and familiar with, the principles of measurement and
tolerances - and is far more demanding (which is a GOOD thing!). However,
there is an element of shifting consumer focus from the performance of
tools, to the tolerances of tools...

Getting back to the honing guide (and the key word is GUIDE - not fixture,
or jig) - it's main purpose is to accurately and repeatably set and maintain
an angle. I have never had a problem squaring a chisel or plane blade by
eye, nor have I ever found it necessary to do more than that... Why?-..there
can be more error introduced by the surface of a stone, or by applying
pressure differentially at the edge of the blade while sharpening...and in
any event, why get hung up over a fraction of a degree on a chisel??

Every honing guide on the market now has some sort of quirk, "problem" or
strength. The vise type guide will clamp securely, but not necessarily
square, nor evenly. Ours can set and hold an angle, but is prone to
rotation...but ultimately, you can produce an edge you can shave with, with
either jig...

Having said all that, we do have a new honing guide headed for product
(target spring release) - it's much closer to "fixture" performance, than
"guide" performance... I'll say right now that it'll be/do the following...

1) it will square tools precisely (and repeatably) in the jig
2) it will have more capacity
3) it will use a different registration/clamping system
4) it will clamp rock solid
5) it will be more expensive
6) it will have a utility patent

Sounds good eh?

About the only thing I didn't say is that it'd make your tools sharper -
cause it won't. Nor will there be a pressing need to replace your current
guide with the new one - unless you want to, or have the need for the
increased capacity (ie, a #8 plane blade). I know I'll be able to get the
same level of performance out of either guide - though the "accuracy" of the
new one will be better, with a bit less effort.

17 (or 18 years ago) when we came out with our current guide - it was
revolutionary, afforded unheard of accuracy, repeatability, and all for a
good price. For many woodworkers - it enabled them to sharpen well for the
first time... So what's changed over the last 17 years, requiring a new
honing guide?? We, collectively, as consumers have!

Not that that's a bad thing, it's what drives progress, and design....

AAvK

Oh well -
I actually disagree with both Mark and Chuck - but that;s what keeps
multiple vendors/manufacturers in existence! [snip, but I'll read it all]

Mr. Lee,

This L-A-B-P you make is seriously NICE work! It is completely the way a plane
should be. Last night I was planing braces (side stretchers) for my first woodworking
bench. Just Douglas fir 4x4's with tenons, using the SB #5 first and then the L-A-B-P
for final smoothing, it completes the job and makes the surfaces flat and jointable in a
working fashion that is easy and accurate, super sweet to use. Great work on the design!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Chuck, what was it that you did not like about the sharpening jig?

thos

I'm not Chuck, but I'll step in and say that the way the blade is held

down
is a problem.
A brass screw holds the blade in place, but there is nothing to prevent

the
blade from twisting side to side except for friction. And when it twists
counter-clockwise (when viewed from above) then it loosens the screw and

can
slip.
They really need to fix that.

You can fix it. I have these pieces of plastic I use to fill out the

width
for my blades.

Sure you can fix it. But it doesn't keep it from being a design flaw that
you have to work around or keep bits of plastic handy to remedy. It really
is better if they fix it.

-j

Robin.

The problem isn't that the edge isn't square to the side of the plane blade.
The problem is that the hold down mechanism allows the blade to twist in the
guide. The "rotation" problem you acknowledge in your post. There are a
couple of easy solutions to this. I'm glad you have taken the opportunity to
address this with your new guide.

-j

--
'
"Robin Lee" wrote in message
.. .

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:01:46 -0600, Conan the Librarian

wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Daniel H

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Second the comment on the sharpening jig, what were they thinking? OTOH,
the other sharpening jig that Lee Valley sells (the one that tightens on
the object being sharpened so it does not skew) is first rate.

Are the clamping sides on the other sharpening jig (I assume it's
60M07.01 you're referring to) parallel?

My Hirsch 26mm firmer is 26mm wide at the end, but is a hair over 25mm
wide right before the thin neck. I think chisels are usually made with
a slight tapering in to prevent the tool from getting stuck when cutting
deep narrow holes, and thus might not clamp into a vise-like guide
"perfectly" square, unless the smaller clamping section of the vise-like
guide is also tapered to match.

(I personally haven't had any problem keeping my chisel bevels square
using the Veritas jig. It may take 2-5 seconds more of checking and
tightening, but I've not had any squareness problems yet.)

Conan The Librarian

Robin Lee wrote:

Oh well -

I actually disagree with both Mark and Chuck - but that;s what keeps
multiple vendors/manufacturers in existence!

Hey, I wouldn't expect you guys at LV to be right all the time. ;-)

Truth is - the best is whatever works for you....no one jig of

anyone's will
handle all sharpening...

[snip of part of a great response that I somehow missed before]

Every honing guide on the market now has some sort of quirk,

"problem" or
strength. The vise type guide will clamp securely, but not

necessarily
square, nor evenly. Ours can set and hold an angle, but is prone to
rotation...but ultimately, you can produce an edge you can shave

with, with
either jig...

Absolutely. In fact, the last time this subject came up, I think
the consensus was that the "perfect" guide (sorry about using "jig"
before ;-) would have most of the features that your current design
does (like the microbevel setting and wide roller).

It would just get rid of that faulty screw blade-holding mechanism.
;-)

My problem is that in order to torque it down enough to avoid
risking having the iron shift during use, I usually wind up skewing the
iron just slightly (the last turn does it, and if I tap the iron back
into position, then I'm back where I started as it loosens things
ever-so-slightly).

It's really mostly a matter of repeatability to me. (Repeatability,
plus the fact that I set my bevel-up smoothers with such a fine shaving
aperture that if the iron is slightly skewed, it really does affect
performance.)

For jacks and such, it's really not a big deal.

Having said all that, we do have a new honing guide headed for

product
(target spring release) - it's much closer to "fixture" performance,

than
"guide" performance... I'll say right now that it'll be/do the

following...

1) it will square tools precisely (and repeatably) in the jig
2) it will have more capacity
3) it will use a different registration/clamping system
4) it will clamp rock solid
5) it will be more expensive
6) it will have a utility patent

Sounds good eh?

Yeah, but you forgot: 7) it won't cost an arm and a leg

:-)

[...]

And the above is why you guys are so good at what you do. You
actually *listen* to what Joe Average says and act on it.
Chuck Vance

Conan The Librarian

Patriarch wrote:

Yabbut, we all _know_ you're addicted. In fact, you've been accused,

rightly, of pushing otherwise Normal folk over the quiet edge...

I like to think of it as giving them a gentle nudge onto that
gradual Neanderslope ... with roller skates and a jetpack.

Patriarch,
up to two dozen handplanes, three shaves, a bunch of chisels and

mallets,
maybe a dozen handsaws and, evidently, just getting started.

From the looks of things, you didn't need much pushing. :-)

Chuck Vance

B a r r y

Conan The Librarian wrote:

And the above is why you guys are so good at what you do. You
actually *listen* to what Joe Average says and act on it.
Chuck Vance

Imagine that. G

Barry

Robin Lee

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message
oups.com...

(snip)

And the above is why you guys are so good at what you do. You
actually *listen* to what Joe Average says and act on it.
Chuck Vance

.... and that's 'cause we deal with people who are reasonable!

Cheers -

Rob
(the new one will still not be great for tall narrow chisels.... you just
can't ever get it all into one package....)

AAvK

My only problem with the jig (sorry, guide) is that it doesn't work for
butt chisels. That's why I recently got the other "clamp on the sides"
jig, Robin.

Yeah but the vise type doesn't clamp on super thick chisels either. I know
cause I have a thich old Sears chisel, won't work at all. Need both.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

David

But, but, but, is it going to fit the scraper plane blade, Robin? Huh? Huh?

Dave