Daniel H

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Second the comment on the sharpening jig, what were they thinking? OTOH,
the other sharpening jig that Lee Valley sells (the one that tightens on
the object being sharpened so it does not skew) is first rate.

Are the clamping sides on the other sharpening jig (I assume it's
60M07.01 you're referring to) parallel?

My Hirsch 26mm firmer is 26mm wide at the end, but is a hair over 25mm
wide right before the thin neck. I think chisels are usually made with
a slight tapering in to prevent the tool from getting stuck when cutting
deep narrow holes, and thus might not clamp into a vise-like guide
"perfectly" square, unless the smaller clamping section of the vise-like
guide is also tapered to match.

(I personally haven't had any problem keeping my chisel bevels square
using the Veritas jig. It may take 2-5 seconds more of checking and
tightening, but I've not had any squareness problems yet.)