Fly4CAP

Default Crown molding on a non-standars ceiling angle

I wasnt to install crown throughout my house. Most will be
straightforward, but there are three walls from which the ceiling makes
an angle greater than 90*. They are both ends of the master bedroom
and one end of the living room, where the ceiling first goes up from
the 8' wall to level off at 9' in the BR and 10' in the LR. I'm not
sure how I would make the inside corners match with the adjacent
molding, or if it can even be done. I'm a reasonably competent
carpenter, and have access to far more competency than my own, along
with all the tools and equipment I may need. Thanks for the help.

Mike

On 29 Jan 2005 13:11:11 -0800, "Fly4CAP"
wrote:

an angle greater than 90*. They are both ends of the master bedroom
and one end of the living room, where the ceiling first goes up from
the 8' wall to level off at 9' in the BR and 10' in the LR. I'm not
sure how I would make the inside corners match with the adjacent
molding, or if it can even be done. I'm a reasonably competent

Crown molding is designed to fit along a 90* corner. It's very
difficult to run it otherwise and have it look like something.
It sounds to me like maybe you have a coffer or something similar that
runs into the walls at the end of the room..?? Something like this
crude drawing....???

____________
/ \
___/ \___
l l
l l
l l
l l

It may be easier to run a flat molding of some type that runs along
the wall and turns into the coffer then across the ceiling and back
down the other side. If you have a little flat lower ceiling before
the angle starts (like in the drawing) it should be fairly straight
forward. You could use a fancy base board turned upside down or
perhaps a chair rail or maybe make something with a decorative edge
on only the bottom. You could either run the flat molding all the way
around the room or just run it in the coffers and then go back to the
crown molding just along the walls where you do have a 90* angle. The
crown would just die into the flat molding that you used on the ends.
If the flat molding has much detail it will be difficult to run the
crown into it but IMO that will easier than running crown on a ceiling
that is not 90*.

If this isn't anywhere near your situation...just ignore this entire
message. :-)

Mike O.