Malcolm Webb

Default Hidden Doors

I have seen a reference in this group to Hidden Doors and have looked at
the website of hiddendoors.com

Does anyone know of a similar company in the UK?

Or has anyone made a hidden door from scratch and know the location of
detailed plans, free or otherwise.

My search of Google comes up with nothing other than links to
hiddendoors.com

Many thanks in advance.

Malcolm Webb

Patrick R. Kane

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:57 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Malcolm Webb) wrote:

I have seen a reference in this group to Hidden Doors and have looked at
the website of hiddendoors.com

Does anyone know of a similar company in the UK?

Or has anyone made a hidden door from scratch and know the location of
detailed plans, free or otherwise.

I posted this in this newsgroup in mid-Jan...

[before pressing send, I did a Google and found this link, which shows
a plan for a pivot bookcase pretty much like I was going to build
http://www.garymkatz.com/Charts/pivot-bookcase.htm ]

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:10:01 -0700, s wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:50:51 -0700,
s wrote:
I built one a few years back. I used skateboard trucks for the wheels
because the floor was a bit bumpy. it worked well. I'll post pictures
to ABPW

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the skateboard
tracks (vice using casters).

I used soss hinges. the big ones are expensive (IIRC about $50 each)
but they worked a charm.
http://www.soss.com/

I thought that was what I saw in the picture.

My solution isn't much cheaper. I was looking at center-hung pivot
hinges (like the swinging doors to restaurant kitchens), which are
$100 to $150/set.

http://www.usbuildersupply.com/Rixson/ch_pivot_sets.htm or
http://www.mckinneyhinge.com/subcata...?subcat_id=211

Instead of centering the hinge on the "door", I'd move it to the front
edge of the cabinet, hiding the hardware behind a 3/4" trim board.
With this setup, I could get less than 1/16" gap all around the case.

Thanks for the additional info.

FYI, one more link on "invisible hinges"
http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_...t=599&OrderID=
PDQ

"Patrick R. Kane" pat.kane wrote in message =
| On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:57 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
| (Malcolm Webb) wrote:
|=20
| [before pressing send, I did a Google and found this link, which shows
| a plan for a pivot bookcase pretty much like I was going to build

http://www.garymkatz.com/Charts/pivot-bookcase.htm ]
|=20

I snipped out the rest.

There is a lot more at this site. Thanks for the address.
--=20

PDQ
--
=20

Advice needed on putting poly on wood interior doors Shawn Home Repair 15 January 17th 05 05:26 AM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors? Ron Home Repair 5 March 20th 04 06:52 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM
Kitchen cabents using Mills Pride boxes and custom made doors / drawer fronts David Jensen Woodworking 9 August 6th 03 04:15 AM