Patrick R. Kane

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:57 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Malcolm Webb) wrote:

I have seen a reference in this group to Hidden Doors and have looked at
the website of hiddendoors.com

Does anyone know of a similar company in the UK?

Or has anyone made a hidden door from scratch and know the location of
detailed plans, free or otherwise.

I posted this in this newsgroup in mid-Jan...

[before pressing send, I did a Google and found this link, which shows
a plan for a pivot bookcase pretty much like I was going to build
http://www.garymkatz.com/Charts/pivot-bookcase.htm ]

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:10:01 -0700, s wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:50:51 -0700,
s wrote:
I built one a few years back. I used skateboard trucks for the wheels
because the floor was a bit bumpy. it worked well. I'll post pictures
to ABPW

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the skateboard
tracks (vice using casters).

I used soss hinges. the big ones are expensive (IIRC about $50 each)
but they worked a charm.
http://www.soss.com/

I thought that was what I saw in the picture.

My solution isn't much cheaper. I was looking at center-hung pivot
hinges (like the swinging doors to restaurant kitchens), which are
$100 to $150/set.

http://www.usbuildersupply.com/Rixson/ch_pivot_sets.htm or
http://www.mckinneyhinge.com/subcata...?subcat_id=211

Instead of centering the hinge on the "door", I'd move it to the front
edge of the cabinet, hiding the hardware behind a 3/4" trim board.
With this setup, I could get less than 1/16" gap all around the case.

Thanks for the additional info.

FYI, one more link on "invisible hinges"
http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_...t=599&OrderID=