George

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
. 125.201...
I love it when the "conservatives" all try to outdo each other in the
race to look most sanctimonious.

They should know better than to try and compete with sanctimonious moral
relativists who preach tolerance only for their point of view.

Doug Miller

In article . 201, Nate Perkins wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
om:

Just curious: do the ellipses in the transcript indicate pauses in
Falwell's speaking, or places where some of his words have been
omitted?

(shrug) You have a point?

Just wondering if that's a complete transcript, or if it's been edited.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article 01, Nate Perkins wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
om:

In article . 201,
Nate Perkins wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
.com:

Just curious: do the ellipses in the transcript indicate pauses in
Falwell's speaking, or places where some of his words have been
omitted?

(shrug) You have a point?

Just wondering if that's a complete transcript, or if it's been
edited.

That's the second time you've suggested it's a misrepresentation of what
was said. So I challenge you to demonstrate it. Good luck.

That's completely untrue, as is shown above. I have never suggested that it's
a misrepresentation. What I wrote is clear enough to anyone with a working
understanding of the English language, but since you seem to have difficulty
with that, I'll attempt to clarify:

In the transcript you cited, there are ellipses ( "..." ) at several points in
the quotation ascribed to Falwell. Ellipses, when quoting a speaker, are
generally used for one of two purposes: to indicate omitted words, or to
indicate pauses in speech. I'm just curious which of the two it is in this
case. If you don't know, why don't you just say so?

--
Regards,

Mark & Juanita wrote:
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 06:31:59 GMT, Nate Perkins

wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

But that junkie Rush is ok, eh ?

Another example of the "tolerant, open-minded" left, eh?

Someone
who
becomes addicted to pain killers as a result of having them

prescribed
for severe backpain is somewhat different than someone who was out
searching for the next and best high, don't ya think? But, since

this
gives you something to beat on and impugn with, impugn away. Says
more about the shallowness of the so-called open-mindedness of the
left than anything else.

Let's see ... as long as we are indulging in shallowness and

pointing
out the failings of the guys on the right:

- Leading moralist "Book of Virtues" writer Bill Bennett has secret
gambling addiction

- Leading "Fair and Balanced" host Bill O'Reilly harasses his

coworkers
with sex phone calls and wierd "loofah" fetishes

- Leading political "moral" leader Newt Gingrich fined $300K for

ethics
violations, thrice married, served first wife with divorce papers

while
she was in hospital recovering from cancer surgery

- Leading conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh advocates zero

tolerance
for drug offenders, only to find he has a secret drug addiction

himself

So your point here is? That in order to advocate for improvements

in
society one must be perfect? Thus, no-one should point out any

failings
nor needs for improvement since everyone has flaws and failings?

Thus,
nothing should be wrong since someone who is in a place of authority

has
committed such acts. Or is it only OK for those on the left to

advocate
for improvements in society since to the left, morals are all

relative, so
only they have the "moral" high ground to dictate how the rest of

society
should function?

In several cases above, you have your facts wrong anyway.

- Noted "patriotic" author and commentator Ann Coulter declares "The

myth of 'McCarthyism' is the greatest Orwellian fraud of our

times."

Somewhat different tangent from the above statements. Or are you
indicating that expressing an opinion based upon historical facts

(i.e.
some of the Kremlin archives implicating many of those being pursued

by
McCarthy as sympathizers, to be kind, of the communist regime) is

somehow
the equivalent to moral weaknesses or failings?

Are you suggesting that blacklisting 'communist sympathizers'
whatever those are, is anything BUT un-American?

Unless you think that McCarthy had access to those alleged Kremlin
records, what is the point in the first place? What was McCarthy's
basis for his accusations?

- Prominent conservative religious figures Jerry Falwell and Pat
Robertson, two days after the 9/11 attacks, declared that the

attacks
were God's retribution against the US for allowing the ACLU,
abortionists, feminists, and gays.

The comments you make above are taken somewhat out of context.

Pat Robertson is one of the most obvious con artists I've ever
seen ply his trade--no better than Yuri Geller.

Doug Miller wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
om:

Just curious: do the ellipses in the transcript indicate pauses

in
Falwell's speaking, or places where some of his words have been
omitted?

Just wondering if that's a complete transcript, or if it's been
edited.

In the transcript you cited, there are ellipses ( "..." ) at several

points in
the quotation ascribed to Falwell. Ellipses, when quoting a speaker,

are
generally used for one of two purposes: to indicate omitted words, or

indicate pauses in speech. I'm just curious which of the two it is in

this
case...

So am I so I wrote them and asked. Dunno if they'll respond, but
if they do I'll post their answer--in alt.politics.

Regardless, clearly it was intollerant religious 'fundamentalists,'
not secularists, who were responsible for the attacks on teh WTC
and Pentagon.

Ironically the term 'fundamentalist' is typically used today in
reference to those who respect anything BUT the fundamentals of
their religion.

--
Ptfffth!

FF

Doug Miller

In article 01, Nate Perkins wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
om:

In article 01, Nate
Perkins wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
.com:

In article . 201,
Nate Perkins wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
gy.com:

[...]

Why do you keep asking if it has been edited?

Because, as I've _already_said_twice_, the transcript contains marks that are
often used to indicate the omission of words in quoted material. Is that what
they're used for here?

Why do you keep dodging the question? If you don't know, say so.

Obviously you are trying
to imply that it has been misrepresented by editing out some context.

To anyone with a working understanding of the English language, it is
obvious that I am *asking* if some context has been edited out.

--
Regards,

GregP

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:42:55 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

Here's what William F. Buckley had to say about (what he calls)
Falwell's "ignorant misapplication of Christian thought":

http://www.nationalreview.com/buckle...ey091801.shtml

I love it when the "conservatives" all try to outdo each other in the
race to look most sanctimonious.

Buckley is a conservative. Guys like Falwell and Limbaugh are
fascists who would do us in if they had the power to do so.
Nate Perkins

(Doug Miller) wrote in
m:

In article 01, Nate
Perkins wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
. com:

In article 01,
Nate Perkins wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
y.com:

In article . 201,
Nate Perkins wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
igy.com:

[...]

If you want to claim that context has been edited out, then you'll have
to show that. It's not my job to do Google searches for you.

Doug Miller

In article , GregP wrote:

Buckley is a conservative. Guys like Falwell and Limbaugh are
fascists who would do us in if they had the power to do so.

Got a project for ya, Greg.
1) Look up the dictionary definition of "fascist".
2) Explain how it applies to Falwell and Limbaugh.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article . 201, Nate Perkins wrote:

[...]