Default Anyone actually using a Rigid BS1400?

I got some HD gift cards and I saw this unit for $299 at HD. Just
wondered if anyone had any practical experience with this particular
saw. And yeah... I know that there are better saws . Who actually
makes this saw for Rigid?
tzipple

I played with one. It was OK. A bit light and loud. More vibration that
I like. It has only a 3/4hp motor, which is pretty small for a real 14"
saw. Cutting smaller stuff would be fine. Resawing 8" maple would be
possible, I imagine, but slow.

On a budget, I would wait and get the Grizzley 14" for $125 more. You
only buy this kind of tool once every 10-20 years if you buy well.
Personally, I hate tools that are OK... too good to replace, not good
enough to enjoy and use easily for all of my needs. This is one of those
tools. OK, but not good enough to enjoy using. The Griz is closer to
being a tool that I would want to use for a deacde or two.

wrote:
I got some HD gift cards and I saw this unit for $299 at HD. Just
wondered if anyone had any practical experience with this particular
saw. And yeah... I know that there are better saws . Who actually
makes this saw for Rigid?

Charlie Self

tzipple responds:

I played with one. It was OK. A bit light and loud. More vibration that
I like. It has only a 3/4hp motor, which is pretty small for a real 14"
saw. Cutting smaller stuff would be fine. Resawing 8" maple would be
possible, I imagine, but slow.

I haven't played with this particular saw, but given that the Delta 14" is the
standard for that size saw, consider the fact that offer it in a 3/4 HP
version, AND in a 1/2 HP version.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000

I wanted to use up my $150 in HD credit and figured it migt be worth a
shot. I don't see myself doing much in the way of resawing, and
frankly, I could probably get by with a 12" unit. I just don't want
something with an aluminum table and _no_ power, so I figured stay
away from those smaller bench-top units from Ryobi, Craftsman, or even
Delta.

Probably better off waiting for a used saw to come along.

wrote:
I got some HD gift cards and I saw this unit for $299 at HD. Just
wondered if anyone had any practical experience with this particular
saw. And yeah... I know that there are better saws . Who actually
makes this saw for Rigid?

I was considering this bandsaw until I found an old used Craftsman at a
garage sale. Also, they seemed to have disappeared from my local HD,
probably can be special ordered. The last one on the floor was marked
down to $349 from $399. Now you say they're down to $299? I was going
to put it on my HD card so no payments for 6 months. I did this with
the Ridgid 6" jointer, which BTW has worked great for me. I also have
the Ridgid 3650 table saw and am happy with it also. My only concern
with buying Ridgid tools is the availability of buying accessories for
them. With the bandsaw I was considering the addition of riser blocks
at some point and read here on this NG that they want some outrageous
amount of $ for them. Then I also read that someone tried out the
Grizzly blocks and they bolt right on, just a different color- who
cares? I wasn't too concerned about the 3/4 hp vs. 1 hp as I wasn't
planning on resawing for eight hours a day, only an occasional use. As
for buying used, it can be the way to go if you happen to find the
right tool. The Craftsman I bought is a 12" model that was mounted on a
rolling cart. The motor is only rated at 1/4 hp but it has done
everything I've asked of it so far. It was only $25 buy I had to
replace the tires, blade, and added cool blocks which added about $70
to the price. It then required a couple hours of tinkering and tuning
to get it to an acceptable working condition. Only complaint is only
about 5" of resawing capability. Again, if you buy used make sure you
can find parts in case you need to replace something.

Dale

DIYGUY

What are you going to use it for? Resawing 10" stock might not be its'
strongest suit, but it will work fine on 6" stock. It actually took
home a FWW award about a year or more ago as a good value. I think you
are spot on when you consider the price/performance. If you are into
lots of bandsaw work it might not be the best match. As a good tool to
use now and again for things like cutting open jewel boxes, odd pattern
cutting, tenons and so forth I am confident you will not regret it.
Yeah, the riser block and fence options are pricey. If you need those
things it puts you into Jet territory. If not, I would give it a go...

wrote:

I got some HD gift cards and I saw this unit for $299 at HD. Just
wondered if anyone had any practical experience with this particular
saw. And yeah... I know that there are better saws . Who actually
makes this saw for Rigid?

sparky5

I have one with the 6" riser block, and it is a pretty decent saw.
Blade changes are a little bit of a pain, but I don't do that very often.
Blade tracking is good. I have been going to get a set of Carter Guides for
it and that will improve it even more. (I just found out they make guides
for Ridgid.) I sawed 1/8"x 6" cocobolo veneers with it consistantly.
I built a larger table for it from some plans I got at
www.plansnow.com which has a regular fence, one for resawing and a
built in circle cutting jig and I have had good luck with all of it. I do
want a larger saw for heavier resawing but for basic bandsaw work it is
pretty good buy for $300. (Build your own fence etc., the parts from ridgid
are pretty high and the homebuilt one I have has a lot more functionality.

--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods

mhburton at tbird-hardwoods dot com

Rigid foam question JackRabbit Home Repair 6 January 14th 05 09:41 PM
Table Saw RIGID - recomendations? Ephraim Glueck Woodworking 3 March 17th 04 03:38 AM
Rigid MSUV mel Woodworking 3 March 5th 04 12:08 AM
Home Depot and Rigid Rich Woodworking 7 October 28th 03 04:14 AM
RIGID Defunct? Steve McDonald Woodworking 4 September 9th 03 05:27 AM