Default Poor customer service/relations Vega

Just got off the phone with customer service for Vega tools...
I bought one of their 50" fences for my saw 3 or 4 years ago.
Well I am going to build a stand and want to build the extension wing
and an outfeed table for it. I know that in the instructions they had
a plan for these items. Try as I may I can not find the directions.
You can not download the directions off the web.
So I called them up a few weeks ago....The person on the phone seemed
to be a little off, Seemed as if I were bothering him. He finally said
he would put one in the mail. I haven't seen it yet so I called them
back today. I guess it wasn't just a bad day for this guy, as today
again it seemed as if I were bothering him....Was asking him what was
best material for table melamie or mdf...his statement was that it is
in the directions and I would get them soon enough. The mail hadn't
gone out yet and he would put it in todays mail....It was again that he
couldn't get off the phone quick enough. Gets you PO'd that a company
with a product I consider to be good would have such poor customer
relations....
Any one else with experiences? Drives you crazy....

Cubby

I can't say I've ever called Vega about something but I did email them
when I was considering the purchase of their fence. They responded
very quickly. After receiving the fence, it had some poor machining
on the fence mechanism. I emailed them about it and never heard from
them.....hmmmmmm.

Unisaw A100

Any one else with experiences? Drives you crazy....

Once upon a time they had an entire line of woodworking
machines and it was pretty solid stuff. They dropped most
of it and now concentrate on lathes and fences. Trouble is
there are people out there with their other machines and
when they call to ask for a owner's manual they are told "we
don't have anything".

I realize it's not the company's responsibility to continue
to back a discontinued machine but this kind of indifference
would make me think twice about buying a lathe (or anything
else) from them.

UA100

I am more then happy with their product(fence) enough so I recommended
it for my buddies wife to buy it for him for Christmas, I guess it is
just the indifference on with the replies and the nonchalance with
thier customer service!
It isn't if you are buying no frills inexpensive products where you
don't expect the service, but you expect a little more when you drop
$250 on their tools. Defiantly makes you think when it is time to buy
that next tool....
Toby

Unisaw A100 wrote:
Any one else with experiences? Drives you crazy....

Once upon a time they had an entire line of woodworking
machines and it was pretty solid stuff. They dropped most
of it and now concentrate on lathes and fences. Trouble is
there are people out there with their other machines and
when they call to ask for a owner's manual they are told "we
don't have anything".

I realize it's not the company's responsibility to continue
to back a discontinued machine but this kind of indifference
would make me think twice about buying a lathe (or anything
else) from them.

UA100

hylourgos

I have had the occasion to speak w/ Richard several times recently
because I acquired an '80s 8" Vega jointer. It's a fine machine w/ a
hefty Baldor motor, but mine was missing the fence. He had one milled
special for me and I got it just yesterday. It took about a month from
the time I first ordered it, but that included the Xmas season too.

My impression is that he's a one-man show on the CS and tech side, so
that's why he may have seemed busy. In my discussions with him he said
that their building had burned down a few years back so they have
almost no literature on any of the older stuff.

There were delays in getting information and, ultimately, the fence,
but it wasn't what I consider unreasonable. You should plan on being
patient with Vega if you want to ask for any unusual service, but my
impression is that they try to do a good job.

H.

Sony Vega 32" won't start Jade Dragon Electronics Repair 3 January 10th 05 05:58 PM
Vega fence or Accusquare? Ron R. Woodworking 9 December 13th 04 12:51 PM
Vega 2400 bowl lathe Rick Woodturning 0 November 12th 04 04:16 PM
Delta (34-444) and Vega Fence Setup Matt Aversano Woodworking 1 December 5th 03 03:56 AM
Aligning a Vega utility 50 fence Alan W Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 05:21 PM