Jade Dragon

Default Sony Vega 32" won't start

We have a 32" Sony Vega which is out of warranty. Less than one week
after the warranty expired we had a problem with the "red
screen/blue-purple screen". An authorized Sony repairman fixed the
problem. Less than a year later, after being unplugged prior to the
start of a storm, the tv stopped turning on. On occasion, we try to
turn it on, and sometimes it does start, and runs properly for awhile.
It seems that each time it is unplugged, the problem returns. Having
read the related posts, I discovered the flashing red light is giving
an error code. When trying to turn the tv on, we are getting the relay
start up noise, which is usually very loud if the tv is going to start,
and softer if it is not going to start. Then the red light blinks 7
times. Does anyone have any information about what that error is?

James Sweet

"Jade Dragon" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a 32" Sony Vega which is out of warranty. Less than one week
after the warranty expired we had a problem with the "red
screen/blue-purple screen". An authorized Sony repairman fixed the
problem. Less than a year later, after being unplugged prior to the
start of a storm, the tv stopped turning on. On occasion, we try to
turn it on, and sometimes it does start, and runs properly for awhile.
It seems that each time it is unplugged, the problem returns. Having
read the related posts, I discovered the flashing red light is giving
an error code. When trying to turn the tv on, we are getting the relay
start up noise, which is usually very loud if the tv is going to start,
and softer if it is not going to start. Then the red light blinks 7
times. Does anyone have any information about what that error is?

It's probably a solder joint or capacitor in the power supply, I'm not sure
what sort of info you're looking for exactly though, if you're familiar with
repairing TV's then you should already have some ideas of what to look for,
otherwise there's really not much you can do yourself other than break it
more.

Andy C

[...]

Agreed. Sounds like an electrolytic capacitor in the PSU to me. Not only do
you risk damaging your TV further by atempting a repair if you don't know
what you're doing, but you also stand a good chance of damaging yourself...

Jeff Wiseman

Jade Dragon wrote:

We have a 32" Sony Vega which is out of warranty. Less than one week
after the warranty expired we had a problem with the "red
screen/blue-purple screen". An authorized Sony repairman fixed the
problem. Less than a year later, after being unplugged prior to the
start of a storm, the tv stopped turning on. On occasion, we try to
turn it on, and sometimes it does start, and runs properly for awhile.
It seems that each time it is unplugged, the problem returns. Having
read the related posts, I discovered the flashing red light is giving
an error code. When trying to turn the tv on, we are getting the relay
start up noise, which is usually very loud if the tv is going to start,
and softer if it is not going to start. Then the red light blinks 7
times. Does anyone have any information about what that error is?

Don't know about the error code but I had a 4 and 1/2 year old
36XBR250 that would turn itself on after being turned off until
the standby circuitry had warmed up (i.e., the set had been
plugged in for an hour or so). It would go for months working
just fine (i.e., when turned on or off) until the set was
unplgged for a while. Then the trouble started again when it was
plugged back in. It had to be plugged in for a while before it
could be turned off and stay off. Over time though, it would
start randomly turning itself on (maybe 2 or 3 times a week).

The trigger circuit from both the on-set power switch and the IR
receiver comes through the main processor chip on the main board
and then is flat-cabled to another board with the relays that
control the degaussing stuff, etc. (I had the service manual so I
could trace this on the schematics). Sony said that this problem
is usually the main processor board. Unfortunately, the Circuit
City tech (I had an extended warrantee on the set) spent 3 months
with Sony trying to find a replacement board or even a new
processor chip. Sony couldn't find one! So CC replace my set with
a 34XBR960.

Can't really help other than tell you it sounds like a similar
problem to the "bad processeor board" that Sony informed me of.

- Jeff