toller

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"toller" wrote in message

Primarily the sides are holding the legs together, though the top could
probably adequate also. Was my 1,2, 3 ambiguous?

Aren't I seeing a support in there also, running between the front leg and
the back leg? (Under the shelf).

Yes, that is the famous support that I was asking about at the very
beginning of the thread. It is a cross grain walnut support I put in after
deciding the parallel grain butternut support was inadequate.
Someone pointed out correctly that I was confused and even at 12", a
crossgrain support was not safe. So I backed out the screws attaching it,
to accomodate a little movement.
Then the thread started getting bizarre.
It is the only crossgrain element in the entire table. According to my
charts, the movement between the butternut shelf and the walnut support will
be no more than 1/16" over 12". So slightly loose screws ought to be enough
to handle that. Or so I believe.

toller

"Swingman" wrote in message
"toller" wrote in message

If I am missing something, I would sincerely appreciate having it pointed
out. I probably won't glue because it will be messy and I don't think it

is
necessary, but I can't see why it would hurt.

We seem to be chasing our tail here ... If you say so.

There is not enough detail in the picture to tell the grain direction on
what are generally the tables "aprons" upon which the table top rests.
What
appears to be an "apron" in the photo may indeed be a solid piece of wood
spanning the structure under the table top. (Indeed, I hope that is the
case
if you are planning on glue as your method of table top fastening.)

The problem with giving any satisfactory advice, besides inadequate detail
in the photos and confusing descriptions, is that your table appears to
not
use generally accepted table construction methods.

I think I have figured out the communications problem. No matter how many
times I say that the side panel is solid butternut with the grain running
the same direction as the top, people see it as a crossgrain problem because
aprons normally have grain running the opposite direction.

Bookcases always have side with vertical grain, and that is how I built
this; rather than like a table.
It may be unconventional, but if it works for bookcases, why wouldn't it
work for this? The front has some cross grain to the sides, but since since
nothing is wider than 1", that can't matter; and the back will be plywood.

I will post a picture of it when I am done.

Swingman

"toller" wrote in message

I think I have figured out the communications problem. No matter how many
times I say that the side panel is solid butternut with the grain running
the same direction as the top, people see it as a crossgrain problem

because
aprons normally have grain running the opposite direction.

Nope ... didn't even worry about that in my replies. My points, IIRC, were
limited to supporting the shelf, any cross-grain situation at that point
considering the wide shelf, and attaching the top.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:20:58 GMT, "toller" wrote:
If the grain runs the same as the top on all 4 sides (and
all the wood is butternut, bought at the same time, and stored together for
several weeks); what is going to move? It is no different than a glued up
board, or any other matched grain joint, is it?

If I am missing something, I would sincerely appreciate having it pointed
out. I probably won't glue because it will be messy and I don't think it is
necessary, but I can't see why it would hurt.

you're right about the relative movement in this piece. where the
shelf sits on it's supports is the only significant long grain to end
grain joint. it's easily dealt with by loosely fastening the shelf
down and providing room at the legs for movement.

it's not how I'd build the piece, but it should work.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:26:49 GMT, "toller" wrote:

the side panel is solid butternut with the grain running
the same direction as the top, people see it as a crossgrain problem because
aprons normally have grain running the opposite direction.

Bookcases always have side with vertical grain, and that is how I built
this; rather than like a table.
It may be unconventional, but if it works for bookcases, why wouldn't it
work for this?

bookcases tend to get moved around less than tables. if this one gets
a lot of front to back racking forces it may have a tendency to split
the side panels.

The front has some cross grain to the sides, but since since
nothing is wider than 1", that can't matter; and the back will be plywood.

I will post a picture of it when I am done.

toller

bookcases tend to get moved around less than tables. if this one gets
a lot of front to back racking forces it may have a tendency to split
the side panels.

That makes sense, thanks.
She really just wants this to look pretty and have some pictures and flowers
on it. I doubt she will even use the drawers.

Patriarch

"toller" wrote in
:

bookcases tend to get moved around less than tables. if this one gets
a lot of front to back racking forces it may have a tendency to split
the side panels.

That makes sense, thanks.
She really just wants this to look pretty and have some pictures and
flowers on it. I doubt she will even use the drawers.

I've learned not to predict how things will actually get used. Well built,
furniture lasts for many decades. Unless it is too ugly to bear looking
at, it will be passed around to family, friends, neighbors, folks who pick
stuff up on the curb on trash day, etc.

Build it to last, or you might as well go to Ikea.

Sorry for the rant. I feel better now. Didn't mean to rain on your
parade, either. Folks have been pretty helpful in trying to explain &
understand what you're trying to do here. That isn't the easiest thing to
do in a text group. And it's how understanding is passed on. That's a
very good thing.

Patriarch

### micro-FAQ on wood # 014 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 July 10th 04 01:38 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 007 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 April 14th 04 07:47 PM
How Much Wood Are You Willing to “Waste” (Long) charlie b Woodworking 7 March 4th 04 06:05 PM
wood filler question Bruce Woodworking 2 February 16th 04 02:05 PM
### everything you always wanted to know about wood (aka "micro-FAQ on wood") P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 December 22nd 03 05:09 PM