On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:26:49 GMT, "toller" wrote:

the side panel is solid butternut with the grain running
the same direction as the top, people see it as a crossgrain problem because
aprons normally have grain running the opposite direction.

Bookcases always have side with vertical grain, and that is how I built
this; rather than like a table.
It may be unconventional, but if it works for bookcases, why wouldn't it
work for this?

bookcases tend to get moved around less than tables. if this one gets
a lot of front to back racking forces it may have a tendency to split
the side panels.

The front has some cross grain to the sides, but since since
nothing is wider than 1", that can't matter; and the back will be plywood.

I will post a picture of it when I am done.