toller

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"toller" wrote in message

Primarily the sides are holding the legs together, though the top could
probably adequate also. Was my 1,2, 3 ambiguous?

Aren't I seeing a support in there also, running between the front leg and
the back leg? (Under the shelf).

Yes, that is the famous support that I was asking about at the very
beginning of the thread. It is a cross grain walnut support I put in after
deciding the parallel grain butternut support was inadequate.
Someone pointed out correctly that I was confused and even at 12", a
crossgrain support was not safe. So I backed out the screws attaching it,
to accomodate a little movement.
Then the thread started getting bizarre.
It is the only crossgrain element in the entire table. According to my
charts, the movement between the butternut shelf and the walnut support will
be no more than 1/16" over 12". So slightly loose screws ought to be enough
to handle that. Or so I believe.