Jay Pique

Default Best rub or spray on rust protection?

I need something to keep the rust at bay on my squares, planes and
other tools. I've heard that used motor oil on a rag works about as
good as anything, but I'd rather not have to clean it off and reapply
it every time I use the tool.

Suggestions? Carmelio Oil?

JP
********
Oiled.

David

I've never seen any rust form on any tool I've coated with Boeshield
T-9. It eventually dries to a non-oily state. I use Johnson's wax for
TS, planer, etc tables.

David

Jay Pique wrote:

I need something to keep the rust at bay on my squares, planes and
other tools. I've heard that used motor oil on a rag works about as
good as anything, but I'd rather not have to clean it off and reapply
it every time I use the tool.

Suggestions? Carmelio Oil?

JP
********
Oiled.

firstjois

Jay Pique wrote:
I need something to keep the rust at bay on my squares, planes and
other tools. I've heard that used motor oil on a rag works about as
good as anything, but I'd rather not have to clean it off and reapply
it every time I use the tool.

Suggestions? Carmelio Oil?

JP
********
Oiled.

One of the guys here posted that he kept a fan running sometimes or all the
time and that prevented rust in the workshop. I re-did the slope of the
yard and dirt against the basement around the shop area -trying to cut back
onthe moisture getting into the basement.

Josie

Phisherman

Wax works, but here you need to reapply it occasionally. I use a rag
dampened with kerosene to wipe rust-prone tools. It will even remove
light rust.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Talc as Rust Protection RonB Woodworking 136 November 2nd 04 12:15 PM
Talc as Rust Protection RonB Woodturning 55 October 24th 04 09:00 PM
Rust protection Tomas Wilhelmsson Metalworking 5 April 12th 04 10:49 PM
Question about rust Mike in Mystic Woodworking 46 January 27th 04 04:03 AM