DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best rub or spray on rust protection? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/86741-best-rub-spray-rust-protection.html)

Jay Pique January 17th 05 01:32 AM

Best rub or spray on rust protection?

I need something to keep the rust at bay on my squares, planes and
other tools. I've heard that used motor oil on a rag works about as
good as anything, but I'd rather not have to clean it off and reapply
it every time I use the tool.

Suggestions? Carmelio Oil?

JP
********
Oiled.

David January 17th 05 02:34 AM

I've never seen any rust form on any tool I've coated with Boeshield
T-9. It eventually dries to a non-oily state. I use Johnson's wax for
TS, planer, etc tables.

David

firstjois January 17th 05 08:24 AM

Jay Pique wrote:
I need something to keep the rust at bay on my squares, planes and
other tools. I've heard that used motor oil on a rag works about as
good as anything, but I'd rather not have to clean it off and reapply
it every time I use the tool.

Suggestions? Carmelio Oil?

JP
********
Oiled.

One of the guys here posted that he kept a fan running sometimes or all the
time and that prevented rust in the workshop. I re-did the slope of the
yard and dirt against the basement around the shop area -trying to cut back
onthe moisture getting into the basement.

Josie

Phisherman January 17th 05 05:42 PM

Wax works, but here you need to reapply it occasionally. I use a rag
dampened with kerosene to wipe rust-prone tools. It will even remove
light rust.