Robert McClenon

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:49:41 -0800, Steve Knight
wrote:

no one moderator could do the job anyway. it would take several dedicated
people. ok who has several hours a day to spend on wreck.wood??

Moderating a newsgroup as active as the Wreck is normally done
primarily by a robot and secondarily by humans who write scripts for
the robot and make sure that it is running.

Posting messages claiming that a group as active as the Wreck is about
to be moderated is done by a subspecies known as a troll.

- - Bob McClenon

Robert McClenon

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:42:41 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

This is a forgery, people. Bob McCLenon does not post through Google

Wait, there will be more under a variety of names. We've seen this
before.

Including a false Dave Balderstone.

What the troll did was to illustrate that a large number of
rec.woodworking posters are not familiar with what a troll is and how
to respond to it (typically by ignoring it).

- - Bob McClenon

LRod

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:20:18 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Uh, there was a serious attempt to create a moderated group a while back,
led by one nutcake. Went to a vote, he won the vote, then it turned out
that there were so many irregularities in the voting that the Powers That
Be decreed that another vote be taken, which he lost.

Your history is a little off. There was no second vote. After the PTB
decreed the vote invalid, the original creator of the RFD withdrew his
second proposal.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Bob Schmall

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On 12 Jan 2005 22:14:32 -0800, "
wrote:

The NAN moderators have lifted the ban on accepting proposals to
convert unmoderated groups to moderated groups. I will be submitting a
proposal (RFD) to make rec.woodworking a candidate for moderation,
after a passing vote (CFV). Please look for the RFD. It will be posted
here.

Thanks, and feedback welcome.

Comin' to ya on a Usenet road
Bull**** I got a truck load
And when you get it you got nuthin'
So don't worry cause I'm coming

I'm a troll man
I'm a troll man
I'm a troll man
I'm a troll man

(apologies to sam and dave and jake and elwood)

Tommy:
Can you do "Rubber Biscuits?" (Obww) Something along the line of, "If it
(the troll) don't bounce back...you go hungry."

Bob

J. Clarke

wrote:

This is a forgery, people. Bob McCLenon does not post through Google

Wait, there will be more under a variety of names. We've seen this
before.

Including a false Dave Balderstone.

What the troll did was to illustrate that a large number of
rec.woodworking posters are not familiar with what a troll is and how
to respond to it (typically by ignoring it).

Not so--note that nearly all are ignoring the racial epithet trolling now
going on. The moderation thing, on the other hand, is a hot button for the
group.

- - Bob McClenon

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Dave Balderstone

wrote:

This is a forgery, people. Bob McCLenon does not post through Google

Wait, there will be more under a variety of names. We've seen this
before.

Including a false Dave Balderstone.

What the troll did was to illustrate that a large number of
rec.woodworking posters are not familiar with what a troll is and how
to respond to it (typically by ignoring it).

- - Bob McClenon

Unfortunately, rec.woodworking is something of a smorgasborg for trolls
for exactly that reason.

The apppearance of the "false Dave Balderstone" as I predicted
demonstrates that the troll is actively following this newsgroup and
feeding off the responses.

djb

TWS

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:20:18 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

This could be the same guy and if everybody ignores him then he might win
his vote by default and become the moderator, which in his case will be
semantically equivalent to "dictator".

Since newsgroups are the only true democracy there isn't much chance
of anyone becoming a dictator. People just wouldn't participate in
'his' newsgroup and would simply move somewhere else. A PITA for sure
but not really a dictator. Fortunately this jerk is a TROLL and isn't
likely to do anything but stir up this otherwise 'bored' group ;-)
TWS
Maverick

I do find myself going to the yahoo woodworking group more and more. They
seem to police it a little better and the trolls are almost non-existant and
the racial and other belligerant type stuff just doesn't get on there.

Maverick

Maverick

If anyone wants a moderated group without all the spam, racial junk and
trolls, this is a pretty good one.

Doug Miller

In article , "J. Clarke" wrote:

Not so--note that nearly all are ignoring the racial epithet trolling now
going on. The moderation thing, on the other hand, is a hot button for the
group.

Anyone who's using my filter file with Nfilter is not seeing that
racial-epithet trolling at all. Which might account for lack of response to
it. I didn't even know it was there until I visited Google Groups to search
for more information about the other troll threads in hopes of finding
something to filter against.

--
Regards,

TWS

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:01:35 -0800, Gino wrote:

Since newsgroups are the only true democracy

LOL!
Tons closer to anarchy then any democracy I've experienced.

I guess I have to concede on that one. There certainly is no 'rule'
here.
TWS
ted harris

In typed:
I have a *very* good
feeling that the vote will pass, and that I will become the moderator
of rec.woodworking by next month. I suggest you start being a little
nicer to me if you want me to pay attention to your ideas during the
RFD process.

Bob McClenon

Thanks for the laugh! hahahahhohohohohohahahahaha!
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

J. Clarke

wrote:

This could be the same guy and if everybody ignores him then he might win
his vote by default and become the moderator, which in his case will be
semantically equivalent to "dictator".

Since newsgroups are the only true democracy there isn't much chance
of anyone becoming a dictator. People just wouldn't participate in
'his' newsgroup and would simply move somewhere else. A PITA for sure
but not really a dictator.

Dictator of a one-man country is still dictator.

Fortunately this jerk is a TROLL and isn't
likely to do anything but stir up this otherwise 'bored' group ;-)

Are you sure he's not the same guy who brought it to a vote a couple of
months back?

TWS

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
TWS

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:57:40 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Are you sure he's not the same guy who brought it to a vote a couple of
months back?

Nah, that guy at least made a pretense at being objective. This guy
has no subtlety and his only purpose is to **** us all off. Troll of
the worst kind.

TWS
Robert McClenon

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:14:54 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I suspect that the NAN had to impose a ban because of people like you.

" wrote in
message oups.com...
The NAN moderators have lifted the ban on accepting proposals to
convert unmoderated groups to moderated groups. I will be submitting a
proposal (RFD) to make rec.woodworking a candidate for moderation,
after a passing vote (CFV). Please look for the RFD. It will be posted
here.

Thanks, and feedback welcome.

No. The NAN had to impose a ban because moderation in place does not
work. The way to deal with trolls is to ignore them.
Robert McClenon

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:44:53 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

The NAN moderators have lifted the ban on accepting proposals to
convert unmoderated groups to moderated groups. I will be submitting a
proposal (RFD) to make rec.woodworking a candidate for moderation,
after a passing vote (CFV). Please look for the RFD. It will be posted
here.

Thanks, and feedback welcome.

Another control freak heard from. Or are you just a troll?

Didn't we just go through this not two months ago? It fell on its ass, just
like this will.

It was a troll.
Prometheus

On 12 Jan 2005 23:45:32 -0800, "
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

I seriously doubt you are going to welcome the feedback
you get regarding this.

You will have your opportunity to vote.

Along with the Stromboli clan, no doubt.

This house is a mess; time to clean it up. I will submit the RFD within
24 hours. Voting will start about 21 days later. I have a *very* good
feeling that the vote will pass, and that I will become the moderator
of rec.woodworking by next month. I suggest you start being a little
nicer to me if you want me to pay attention to your ideas during the
RFD process.

**** off. Dumbass.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Dave Balderstone

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Why in the world do you want to do this?

It's the same troll. Over and over again. It's not Bob McClenon.

--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green
Rob Stokes

Ayup.... 'sides..everyone knows *I'm* in line to be the next moderator g!

Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Why in the world do you want to do this?

It's the same troll. Over and over again. It's not Bob McClenon.

--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green

Robert McClenon

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 20:32:43 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Why in the world do you want to do this?

It's the same troll. Over and over again. It's not Bob McClenon.

Sort of. Not exactly over and over again. The troll posted on 12
January, and is getting a late reply to the same troll post. In this
case, the problem is not the troll, but people responding to the troll
after the troll has moved on to doing damage somewhere else.

- - Bob McClenon

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 03:29:44 GMT, Robert McClenon
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 20:32:43 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Why in the world do you want to do this?

It's the same troll. Over and over again. It's not Bob McClenon.

Sort of. Not exactly over and over again. The troll posted on 12
January, and is getting a late reply to the same troll post. In this
case, the problem is not the troll, but people responding to the troll
after the troll has moved on to doing damage somewhere else.

- - Bob McClenon

I think a news-server somewhere burped and pulled up some old postings.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody