Palmer

Default Building a router table....need suggestions.

I'm building a router table and the main working surface area is 21.5" deep
by 36" wide. My question is this: Where is the best place to locate the
adapter plate? Should it be in the exact center or is it better to have it
set about 2/3 away from the front? Just didn't know if there were any pros
or cons to either.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Screamn1

Leon

"Palmer" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm building a router table and the main working surface area is 21.5"
deep by 36" wide. My question is this: Where is the best place to locate
the adapter plate? Should it be in the exact center or is it better to
have it set about 2/3 away from the front? Just didn't know if there were
any pros or cons to either.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Screamn1

I prefer closer to the front. I do not like leaning over. That said, I use
a Bench Dog Router table and the bit is about 9" form the front edge of the
table. If you need more room you can always turn the fence around and work
from the other side.

DJ Delorie

"Palmer" writes:
My question is this: Where is the best place to locate the adapter
plate?

Here's what I did, although my table's a bit bigger (I sized it to the
Incra jig's requirements):

http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/router/
Bob

Whatever you do, be sure to leave enough room to slide the fence all
the back to clear the adaptor plate so you remove the router from the
table. I made the mistake of locating mine too far back and I have to
remove the fence to get the router out. Of course, that mistake will
be corrected on version 3.6253 of my home built quickie router table.
I just tend to want to build stuff with the table rather than do more
work on the table.

Bob Davis
houston, Texas

Palmer

Thanks for the replies......
If I use center of my table...I'll have 11" on either side so I think I'll
just move it towards the back a bit giving myself at least 12" in front of
the bit which shouldn't be a strain on the ole back having to reach.
Thanks again
"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whatever you do, be sure to leave enough room to slide the fence all
the back to clear the adaptor plate so you remove the router from the
table. I made the mistake of locating mine too far back and I have to
remove the fence to get the router out. Of course, that mistake will
be corrected on version 3.6253 of my home built quickie router table.
I just tend to want to build stuff with the table rather than do more
work on the table.

Bob Davis
houston, Texas

Edwin Pawlowski

"Palmer" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm building a router table and the main working surface area is 21.5"
deep by 36" wide. My question is this: Where is the best place to locate
the adapter plate? Should it be in the exact center or is it better to
have it set about 2/3 away from the front? Just didn't know if there were
any pros or cons to either.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Screamn1

Towards the front.

If you put it in the center, you have to lean over every time even for thin
strips of wood. The back section is of little value aside from holding the
fence.

If you place it towards the front, it is easy to reach when putting a thing
strip through. Now, you have a wide panel to rout. Just work from the
opposite side and you have a nice wide platform to hold the big panel
steady.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Don Dando

I presume that you will fabricate a fence to guide the wood past the router
bits. If that is the case the closer towards the rear of the table you
place the router the more surface you have to support large pieces of wood.
Yet on the other hand, if you expect to mostly use router bits with ball
bearing on them then you might want to consider placing the router in the
center of the table especially if you will be routing irregular shaped
items.

I suppose you could make two removable tops to facilitate either need.

That's my "cut" on it !

Don Dando

almer" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm building a router table and the main working surface area is 21.5"

deep
by 36" wide. My question is this: Where is the best place to locate the
adapter plate? Should it be in the exact center or is it better to have it
set about 2/3 away from the front? Just didn't know if there were any pros
or cons to either.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Screamn1

John McCoy

"Palmer" wrote in
ink.net:

I'm building a router table and the main working surface area is 21.5"
deep by 36" wide. My question is this: Where is the best place to
locate the adapter plate? Should it be in the exact center or is it
better to have it set about 2/3 away from the front? Just didn't know
if there were any pros or cons to either.

Mine is towards the front...bit center is ~8" from the edge. On the
very rare occasions I need more support for a wide piece, I just turn
the fence around & work from the back of the table.

John
John Carlson

My table is 24" deep and I have it set so the router bit is 8" from
the front. 90% of the time, that 8" depth is more than enough to work
with, and having the work close to you is convenient. On the rare
occasions when I need more depth I simply work from the back of the
table and from that side I've got 16" to the bit.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:16:35 GMT, "Palmer"
wrote:

I'm building a router table and the main working surface area is 21.5" deep
by 36" wide. My question is this: Where is the best place to locate the
adapter plate? Should it be in the exact center or is it better to have it
set about 2/3 away from the front? Just didn't know if there were any pros
or cons to either.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Screamn1

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net

router table top - design questions Chris Carruth Woodworking 4 August 3rd 04 08:21 AM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
router and router table question cornytheclown Woodworking 6 February 19th 04 07:51 PM
How to level rousseau router table insert John Carney Woodworking 1 December 31st 03 06:18 AM
Router table Alexander Galkin Woodworking 2 November 13th 03 01:18 PM