Andy Jeffries

Default My first gloat - but how much of a gloat?

Hi all,

Having read with interest everyones' gloats on here, I finally have one
of my own!

My friend's mum asked if I wanted a drill the other day. One of the
offices where she worked closed "a while ago" and it hadn't been used
since, but sitting in her caretaker's office.

I went to pick it up and found it was a drill press, made by Naerok.
She clarified that she got it about "3 or 4 years ago" and it hadn't
been touched since. It looks very similar to:

http://www.fairfieldauctions.co.uk/maclean/pics/075.jpg

I've never owned a bench drill before but it seems OK to my very amateur
skills. But can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it good? How old
is it? Does it qualify as a gloat (as I got it free)? Any routine
maintenance I should do?

More details:

Naerok HDY 13D
1/2"
0.37kW
450-3000
Spindle: MT2J 2-1/2

Cheers,

Andy
Rob Ritch

Check the runout. If that is good than I would say that there is some
major sucking going on over there

Andy Jeffries

Rob Ritch wrote:
Check the runout.

Just to prove my newbieness, what?!!! :-) Is this something I can check
easily or do I have to find a specification for the machine...

If that is good than I would say that there is some
major sucking going on over there

I'll see...

Cheers,

Andy
Joe C.

Andy,

Just remember, every non-newbie was once a newbie.

Anyway, for lack of a better explanation, runout is the amount of 'wobble'
you get when you run a bit in the chuck. A quick and dirty check would be
to spin the chuck by hand (with a bit in it) while holding a square to the
table. A better way to check it would be to use a multigauge which would
measure the runout in thousandths of an inch.

At any rate, congrats on the score and...

You suck.

Joe

"Andy Jeffries" wrote in message
. ..
Rob Ritch wrote:
Check the runout.

Just to prove my newbieness, what?!!! :-) Is this something I can check
easily or do I have to find a specification for the machine...

If that is good than I would say that there is some
major sucking going on over there

I'll see...

Cheers,

Andy

Roger Shoaf

[...]

Free is good. Looks like it is one of those import jobs sold under a
hundred names. These do OK for average stuff.

As far as maintenance goes, make sure you clean up any rust on the post,
Give the motor a couple of drops of oil and check the action on the quill.

It should work fine but if the quill is stiff you might have to disassemble,
clean out any dried out grease and re-lube.

Check the fan belt(s), then make some holes.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

George E. Cawthon

Andy Jeffries wrote:
Rob Ritch wrote:

Check the runout.

Just to prove my newbieness, what?!!! :-) Is this something I can check
easily or do I have to find a specification for the machine...

If that is good than I would say that there is some

major sucking going on over there

I'll see...

Cheers,

Andy

Runout is more commonly known as wobble. Chuck a straight
drill (1/4" or so) in it and turn it on. If the runout is
really bad you'll see it. Or, move the table up so that
most of the bit is in the center hole and you can lay
something on the table (like a combination square) with an
edge just touching the smooth part of the drill bit. Turn
the head by hand and see how much the bit varies from just
touching. More accurate, set up the edge so that it is
0.010 from bit (use a feeler gauge) turn it a few degrees,
measure, and repeat every 30 degrees until you are back to
the starting point. How much is ok? Others will tell you.
My cheapo HD unit has less than .002 runout, even when
measured 2 inches below the chuck.
rllipham

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:36:19 +0000, Andy Jeffries wrote:

Does it qualify as a gloat (as I got it free)?

Anything free with a power cord or handle is a gloat. You had both a
handle and cord.
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:41:01 GMT, George E. Cawthon wrote:

Runout is more commonly known as wobble.

Technically, runout is a specific type of wobble.
Vic Baron

[...]

Wonder if it's a coincidence that Naerok spelled backwards is Korean - in
any case

you suck!

Silvan

Andy Jeffries wrote:

been touched since. It looks very similar to:

http://www.fairfieldauctions.co.uk/maclean/pics/075.jpg

I give it a Gloatability Quotient of 7.3. You suck!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Lobby Dosser

"Vic Baron" wrote:

snip

Wonder if it's a coincidence that Naerok spelled backwards is Korean -

Good Catch!

Alan Edwards

Wonder if it's a coincidence that Naerok spelled

backwards is Korean -

That reminds of the Lufwa jig saw I used to have. I Always thought it might
be German or something - now I wonder...