fletch

Default oversized scroll saw?

I am trying to find a saw that will cut through 4 1/4" of wood with no
more than 1/16" cutting gap. A band saw will not be able to make the
tight turns needed.
Do you have any suggestions?

John

Of course a bandsaw with a 1/16in wide blade will make ANY tight turn
you need. Never scroll saw that would handle that thickness. Put
that teeny-tiney 1/6th or 1/8th blade on the bandsaw and you should be
go to go

John

On 10 Jan 2005 18:39:30 -0800, "fletch" wrote:

I am trying to find a saw that will cut through 4 1/4" of wood with no
more than 1/16" cutting gap. A band saw will not be able to make the
tight turns needed.
Do you have any suggestions?

Roger Shoaf

"fletch" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to find a saw that will cut through 4 1/4" of wood with no
more than 1/16" cutting gap. A band saw will not be able to make the
tight turns needed.
Do you have any suggestions?

Find someone that does abrasive jet cutting in your area and farm it out.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

George

"fletch" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to find a saw that will cut through 4 1/4" of wood with no
more than 1/16" cutting gap. A band saw will not be able to make the
tight turns needed.
Do you have any suggestions?

As John said, 1/8" bandsaw blade ought to make the grade unless you're
trying to do insides. With small blade, have a couple sets of guide
blocks - phenolic or wood - available to steady the blade.

Joe Gorman

fletch wrote:
I am trying to find a saw that will cut through 4 1/4" of wood with no
more than 1/16" cutting gap. A band saw will not be able to make the
tight turns needed.
Do you have any suggestions?

Fine Woodworking Sept 1980, #24
p 60: Building a walking beam saw; poor man's bandsaw has almost
unlimited capacity. author: White
It's also in one of their paperback books but I can't find it on
their website now.
Joe

fletch

So with a 1/16th bandsaw blade I can make a 90 degree cut through 4
1/4" of solid wood?
Do I need a special band saw? Where can I get such small blades and
how often do they snap?

John

Lenox makes 1/16th bandsaw blades, do a Google Search on "1/16th
BandSaw Lenox" should turn up a source or 2 vbg!!

Most woodworking BIG catalogs and places like Highland Hardware will
make custom blades for just about any bandsaw

And yes, if you force them, they will snap, but with a little care you
should get a goodly amount of use out of them

And lastly, they will cut just as SHARP a turn (approaching a true
90degree) as any jig saw/scroll saw will. And you can usually come at
the corner from 2 directions to get a TRUE 90degree intersection

John