Don D.

Default scroll bending paterns

Keith
Thank you for the web site on the manuals. I got a 9 page manual on the
scroll bender, It did not have the ornamental idea booklet. I just down
loaded it to print.

I have not opened the compact bender box as of yet.. I am saving this post
just incase.

I did notice that Shop Outfitters has markings and letters on their scroll
die. just wondering if that is needed for most others or is it just a Shop
Outfitter thing they do to help with their idea book.
I did notice that Shop Outfitters has a pattern template
http://www.shopoutfitters.com/OrnamentalIron.html
I think that they work with the letters on the scroll die..
I may look into this book also.
Thanks again
Don D.

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
m...
What I would also like is some patterns to work with to get the hang of
it.

I don't know of any patterns but there are several examples in the book
that comes with the scrolling attachment. In case you didn't get a copy
you can download it from their site:

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...6999/36621.PDF

I also would like to make a portable scroll base so I don't need to be at

the compact bender al the time, just pull up a chair and work from the
bench.

There was a time, not too long ago, when Shop Outfitters' bender and
scrolling attachment were nearly identical to the ones sold by Harbor
Freight. They've come a long way since then. When they sold the similar
units they also sold a base for the scroller that didn't require the
bender. It was just a piece of square tubing, probably 2" by maybe 12"
long that had a series of holes drilled all the way through two sides of
it to match the size and spacing of the holes on the bender. It also had
"ears" on it so that you could bolt it to a bench but you wouldn't even
need those if you clamp it in a vise.

Sorry, one mo Do most scroll attachments have letters on them or is it

just shop outfitters that I looked at? If most do, does anyone have the
layout I can see to lay out the letters onto mine el-cheepo?

I'm not sure I follow you here but I assume you're asking about the bent
letters that used to be on the Shop Outfitters home page. The current
book that's included with the Harbor Freight bender includes complete
instructions on how to make those same letters. You may have gotten an
older version of their manual which was pure crap but the one available on
their site is much better. It includes better pictures of the bender and
at the end it has a few example brackets, etc. and then it shows how to
bend the letters.

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...1999/31980.PDF

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Don D." wrote in message
I bought a (Excuse the cheap word) Harbor Freight compact bender and a
scroll attachment to see what I think as a starter tool instead of
dropping
over $500.00 in one and find out I do not like it. When I get better and
USE
it more I will buy a brand name set and more attachments.
What I would also like is some patterns to work with to get the hang of
it.
I also would like to make a portable scroll base so I don't need to be at
the compact bender al the time, just pull up a chair and work from the
bench.
Sorry, one mo Do most scroll attachments have letters on them or is it
just shop outfitters that I looked at? If most do, does anyone have the
layout I can see to lay out the letters onto mine el-cheepo? If and when
can make some money with this I will buy a shop outfitter or who ever
most
of you all recommend.

OT: I have to find something else more off my feet that can give me a
living and thought this may be good to do. I am an amputee and being on
my
so-called feet is breaking me down as time goes on, so I am tiring to
change
fields to take a load off. I just got into Mig and O/A welding and like
make things with my hands so I thought I would give it a try along with
wood
working..
I hope you all may help me change fields

Don D.

Keith Marshall

I did notice that Shop Outfitters has markings and letters on their scroll
die. just wondering if that is needed for most others or is it just a Shop
Outfitter thing they do to help with their idea book.

So THAT'S what you meant! :-D Sorry, I didn't realize that's what you were
talking about but now I see it in their pictures. I'm not sure what they're
for. They're probably just reference marks so that you can consistently
duplicate scrolls but it kind of looks like there are holes next to the
marks so maybe you drop a pin in them to stop you at a certain point?

"Don D." wrote in message
[...]
when I