Charles A. Sherwood

Default scroll saw for metal work

I am starting a clock project made almost entirely of brass plate.
Specifically I am building W.R. Smith's Lyre clock.
I need to saw out patterns in 3/16 brass for the main plates,
80 thou brass for the dial and 60 thou brass for the other parts
such as gear spokes.

I tried roughing out the main 3/16 plates with my 4x6 band saw in
vertical mode and quickly discovered the small throat really limits
the work envelope. It also does not allow me to do inside cuts.

Mr. Smith shows roughing out the plates with a table jig saw and
finishing up with a die filer and belt sander.

I believe a jig saw would not work well on thin stock but work work
well on the thick stock. I am wondering if a good scroll saw would
work on the 3/16 plate.

A bit of web research tells me the top of line scroll saws are
Hegner and Excaliber. Middle of the road in Dewalt and everything
else is lumped together.

So will a good scroll saw cut the 3/16 brass plate in a timely manner?
Do I need a jig saw and a scroll saw?

Looking for advise!!
thanks
chuck

JMartin957

[...]

Scroll saw would work fine. Pretty expensive purchase just for one clock,
though.

For larger internal cuts, you can always cut and silver solder the bandsaw
blade.

Think I'd go with a jeweler's saw, though.

John Martin
Grant Erwin

Some die filers can chuck a piece of bandsaw blade. Of course, this
can pierce solid stock. If you plan to get a die filer to finish
this project, look for one with an overarm saw support. These chuck
the blade at the bottom and also at the top. The top arm is spring-
loaded to keep the blade under tension. You can just cut up pieces
of bandsaw blade stock (maybe 4" long) and grind off the tooth set
on the sides of the ends so the blade will sit solidly in the chuck.

To me, this is all theoretical. But I'm working on getting my die
filer up and running and I've already got some pieces of blade stock
with which I intend to test this out. The die filer literature I've
read mentions this capability. Of course, for any given width of blade,
there is a smallest radius you can cut with it. To do fine scroll work
you'd need a very small blade, perhaps like jeweler's saw blades. Those
are sold in packs of 12 and as soon as you start trying to use them you
realize why! (They break very easily indeed!)

Grant Erwin
still working on my die filer Web page, few more weeks maybe

JMartin957 wrote:

[...]

Rick Cook

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote:

[...]

The short answer is you can do very good work on even thin brass with a
scroll saw of the right kind with the right setup.

For my work in silver, brass and other soft metals, I spent a couple of
hundred bucks at MicroMark for a specialized Microlux variable-speed
scroll saw that handles metal, plastics, etc. It's really for thinner
stock, but with the appropriate blade and slow feeds, it should handle
3/16 brass.

You can do the same sort of thing, although perhaps not as well, with a
conventional scroll saw. The good ones have enough power to handle 3/16
brass easily.

There are two keys to making this work. The first is that the saw should
have a variable speed control. The second is the blades.

Don't bother with the blades you get from the saw company. Go to a
jeweler's supply store (or order on-line from someplace like Rio Grande)
and get a gross or two of jeweler's saw blades of the appropriate gauge.
These are plain-end blades about 6" long that will fit any scroll saw that
takes plain end blades. The blades are cheap, but you can't buy them in
quantities of less than a dozen and even the experts break them
constantly. Expect to break a lot of blades and don't worry about it.

The usual method of scroll sawing very thin stock is to put something
heavier over the top of it, like 1/8 plywood, and set the presser foot
firmly on the material.

Good luck. It sounds like an interesting project.

--RC

ken

(Charles A. Sherwood) wrote in message ...
[...]

I do things like this all day and my advice is use the jewelers saw.
Its very accurate, cheap and you can get in tight. I have a sabre saw
turned upside down and bolted to bottom of a table that sorta works. I
use it sometimes for piercings when welding a bandsaw blade it to much
trouble. We also use 1/16 bandsaw blades that will do very tight
curves and die filers which are great if you have one.
Mark

I tried my 1700rpm scrollsaw, and it moves far too fast
for use with a jeweler's saw blade. It's a 13-inch
Delta, which would otherwise be just fine. I'll try a
router speed control on it later, see if I can control it.
/mark

ken wrote:

[...]

Wild Bill

I think the variable speed feature mentioned in another reply, would be a
key feature for this type of work. The scroll (or jigsaw as it's known)
wouldn't neccessarily have to be a top-of-the-line model, any older cast
iron tabletop jigsaw should be more than adequate.
Step pulleys can accomplish speed selection for powering with an AC
induction motor.. I don't care much for high RPM brush-type universal
motors, but they can be adjusted with inexpensive speed controls or a big
variac.
A foot switch might be a very handy feature too.

I dunno if cutting dry is the general practice, but I'd think that a
wax-type cutting lube would be more appropriate, since a liquid would likely
be slippery and possibly create a situation where it would be too easy to
slip and get fingers cut.

Keeping the stock firmly pressed downward against the saw table surface is
an important factor in efficiently cutting your stock. Back-up material is
generally called for, when cutting thin stock. This could be hardboard or
luan ply, and works well when the metal is glued to the back-up material
(for less vertical reaction).

The table insert that surrounds the blade (I forget what it's called) should
have a fairly close fit to the shape of the blade, and be securely mounted
to the table.. not just a loose-fitting drop-in insert.

Very thin stock might be problematic on the jigsaw, and hand sawing might be
required. Maybe someone can describe the old method used to cut intricate
precision fit inlays in wood.. I forget what that's called too.. but I
watched a program about how it's done. There was a fairly long training
program to learn the skill to become artist-level in the procedure.

The worker sat at the saw fixture with his heel on the lever that secures
the work in the vise, and the heel pressure was let up to release the vise
for frequent movement of the work, to change the direction of cutting.
The saw was in a fixture similar to a linear sliding rod, and the work was
held perpendicular to the blade cut.

WB

[...]

Rick Cook

Wild Bill wrote:

I think the variable speed feature mentioned in another reply, would be a
key feature for this type of work.

It's pretty much a must. But most of the decent scroll saws these days have the
feature.

It's also important to get the right gauge blade. Jeweler's saw blades run from
about 6-0 to 8 or so. You want a blade that will keep 2-3 teeth in the work at
all times. Most of what the saw suppliers and hardware stores will try to sell
you are too coarse for this kind of work.

The scroll (or jigsaw as it's known)
wouldn't neccessarily have to be a top-of-the-line model, any older cast
iron tabletop jigsaw should be more than adequate.
Step pulleys can accomplish speed selection for powering with an AC
induction motor.. I don't care much for high RPM brush-type universal
motors, but they can be adjusted with inexpensive speed controls or a big
variac.
A foot switch might be a very handy feature too.

A foot switch doesn't matter all that much because of the way you feed the
stock. (To stop cutting, stop advancing the material.)

I dunno if cutting dry is the general practice, but I'd think that a
wax-type cutting lube would be more appropriate, since a liquid would likely
be slippery and possibly create a situation where it would be too easy to
slip and get fingers cut.

Beeswax. Buy it by the cake at any fabric store.

(other good stuff snipped

--RC

Gerald Miller

On 16 Sep 2004 16:22:31 GMT, (JMartin957) wrote:

[...]

I would't hesitate to tackle this with my little 12" overarm jigsaw -
not counting the used lumber for the stand, I have at least three
dollars tied up in this machine. Use a fairly coarse toothed jewelers
blade with lots of tension on it.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada