Grant Erwin

Some die filers can chuck a piece of bandsaw blade. Of course, this
can pierce solid stock. If you plan to get a die filer to finish
this project, look for one with an overarm saw support. These chuck
the blade at the bottom and also at the top. The top arm is spring-
loaded to keep the blade under tension. You can just cut up pieces
of bandsaw blade stock (maybe 4" long) and grind off the tooth set
on the sides of the ends so the blade will sit solidly in the chuck.

To me, this is all theoretical. But I'm working on getting my die
filer up and running and I've already got some pieces of blade stock
with which I intend to test this out. The die filer literature I've
read mentions this capability. Of course, for any given width of blade,
there is a smallest radius you can cut with it. To do fine scroll work
you'd need a very small blade, perhaps like jeweler's saw blades. Those
are sold in packs of 12 and as soon as you start trying to use them you
realize why! (They break very easily indeed!)

Grant Erwin
still working on my die filer Web page, few more weeks maybe

JMartin957 wrote:

I am starting a clock project made almost entirely of brass plate.
Specifically I am building W.R. Smith's Lyre clock.
I need to saw out patterns in 3/16 brass for the main plates,
80 thou brass for the dial and 60 thou brass for the other parts
such as gear spokes.

I tried roughing out the main 3/16 plates with my 4x6 band saw in
vertical mode and quickly discovered the small throat really limits
the work envelope. It also does not allow me to do inside cuts.

Mr. Smith shows roughing out the plates with a table jig saw and
finishing up with a die filer and belt sander.

I believe a jig saw would not work well on thin stock but work work
well on the thick stock. I am wondering if a good scroll saw would
work on the 3/16 plate.

A bit of web research tells me the top of line scroll saws are
Hegner and Excaliber. Middle of the road in Dewalt and everything
else is lumped together.

So will a good scroll saw cut the 3/16 brass plate in a timely manner?
Do I need a jig saw and a scroll saw?

Looking for advise!!
thanks
chuck

Scroll saw would work fine. Pretty expensive purchase just for one clock,
though.

For larger internal cuts, you can always cut and silver solder the bandsaw
blade.

Think I'd go with a jeweler's saw, though.

John Martin