Nick Degidio

Default Sources for Hardwood

All,

Could anyone suggest sources for hardwood (white oak, ash, cherry). Looking
for ~300 bd/ft, rough, FAS. I live in NM, but would not mind driving (day
trip) to CO, AZ, TX etc....

thanks,

-nick

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Not sure where in NM you are but there are a couple or so places in
Albuquerque. Paxtons (which is now
called OrePac), DJ Hardwoods, and Albuquerque Hardwoods or something like
that. Each has their
own particulars in the way of stock and you have to pick through the stuff
to find really nice stuff, usually.

There's another place in Southern Colo that appears to just be the cat's
meow but for the life of me,
their name escapes me. I'll track it down eventually. I was thinking of
making a trip up there this spring/summer
to possibly load up on some stuff.

Cheers,
cc

"Nick Degidio" wrote in message
All,

Could anyone suggest sources for hardwood (white oak, ash, cherry).
Looking
for ~300 bd/ft, rough, FAS. I live in NM, but would not mind driving (day
trip) to CO, AZ, TX etc....

thanks,

-nick

Bruce

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:56:51 -0700, James \Cubby\ Culbertson wrote
(in article ):

Not sure where in NM you are but there are a couple or so places in
Albuquerque. Paxtons (which is now
called OrePac),

Great selection of the exotics, but verrrryyyyy pricy. They wanted $150 for a
sheet of 3/4 white oak plywood.

DJ Hardwoods, and Albuquerque Hardwoods

Abq hardwoods is my current fav. they have the standard stuff like red and
white oak, cherry, maple, walnut, etc. and plywoods. Prices are fair. good
prices on the 1/2" russian birch ply, $18 5x5 sheet.

-Bruce

[...]

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I agree, Abq. Hardwoods gets my nod as well and yes, the AWWA discount is
great.
Pays for itself in no time. OrePac is nice only for the fact that they
carry a lot of different
varieties. But you are right, pretty pricey although their prices actually
came down
when OrePac bought them.
Cheers,
cc

"Bruce" wrote in message ...
Oh yeah. If you join Abq woodworkers assn. you get a good discount (10%?)
which at $30 is worth it.

-Bruce

Abq hardwoods is my current fav. they have the standard stuff like red
and
white oak, cherry, maple, walnut, etc. and plywoods. Prices are fair.
good
prices on the 1/2" russian birch ply, $18 5x5 sheet.

-Bruce

Nick Degidio

Thanks. I will check Abq Hardwoods. I'm a newbie in this area, and would
really like to know of reputable sources in the south west. I came from the
east coast and had many choices.

My last purchase was at Paxtons (200 bd/ft ash,) and they did not stock in
the rough. The machining was awful, as I now have spend many hours
sanding/scraping lumber. I like taking the time up front to prepare stock,
and have invested in a large jointer an planer to do the job.

Again thanks for any info about woodworking in the area.

-nick

"Bruce" wrote in message

Oh yeah. If you join Abq woodworkers assn. you get a good discount

(10%?)
which at $30 is worth it.

-Bruce

Abq hardwoods is my current fav. they have the standard stuff like red
and
white oak, cherry, maple, walnut, etc. and plywoods. Prices are fair.
good
prices on the 1/2" russian birch ply, $18 5x5 sheet.

-Bruce

patrick conroy

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

There's another place in Southern Colo that appears to just be the cat's
meow but for the life of me,

http://www.cswoods.com/home.html

These guys?

Nick Degidio

Excellent!

I took a visit to CSWOOD's web, then called. Have what I'm looking for. If I
take the back-way, Taos to Questsa to Walsenburg, the drive is gorgous, and
worth the trip (and my honey really loves these day trips.)

Thank you for taking the time!

-nick

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Yesss!

Have you ever been? Wondering if it's worth the 4+ hour drive up there.
Cheers,
cc

"patrick conroy" wrote in message

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

There's another place in Southern Colo that appears to just be the

cat's
meow but for the life of me,

http://www.cswoods.com/home.html

These guys?

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

My family has a place in Angelfire NM so I suppose the quickest way would be
head up there for a weekend and make a day trip up through Raton. Please
let me know
how their wood turns out. I prolly wouldn't head up for another few months
but would
like to save a trip if it's not worth it.

I assume you're heading up from ABQ? That's a LONG day trip!
[...]

Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM
Stellite Sources Gunner Metalworking 7 May 20th 04 10:29 PM
Sources of info to retrieve data off failing (failed) hard drives. Stellijer Electronics Repair 43 December 18th 03 07:01 PM
Building custom kitchen - need sources for cabinet without doorsor shelves Matt Mason Home Repair 12 July 17th 03 05:06 AM
OT Why do all terrorists seem to drive Nissans? Don Thompson Metalworking 11 July 15th 03 08:50 AM