BUB 209

Default Bandsaw Conversion

A friend of mine wants to sell me an 18" Craftsman bandsaw for 200.00. It's a
metal-cutting only bandsaw, and has never been used. It's got a gearbox which
he says can be jiggered with to get the proper speed out of it for cutting
wood,
so I've got some research to do, don't even know the blade size yet. Just
wondering if anybody here has had experience with this sort of thing.
Ron Moore

This is an easy conversion, from what you describe. If it is indeed a
gearbox-driven, metal-cutting bandsaw for $200, go to the
rec.craft.metalworking ng and trade it for a wood cutting bandsaw and
probably get money difference as well. There are many more wood
versions available than metal, at the hobbiest cost level. This should
be a VERY easy conversion. Where are you located?
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

BUB 209 wrote:
A friend of mine wants to sell me an 18" Craftsman bandsaw for 200.00. It's a
metal-cutting only bandsaw, and has never been used. It's got a gearbox which
he says can be jiggered with to get the proper speed out of it for cutting
wood,
so I've got some research to do, don't even know the blade size yet. Just
wondering if anybody here has had experience with this sort of thing.

Dave W

Craftsman used to sell a 14 inch metal and wood cutting bandsaw. It was
based on the Delta 14. The gearbox was used for metal cutting and was
bypassed (throwing a lever and installing a direct drive belt) for wood
cutting. I sure wish I had one of these. You are not located in Maine are
you?
Dave
"BUB 209" wrote in message
A friend of mine wants to sell me an 18" Craftsman bandsaw for 200.00.
It's a
metal-cutting only bandsaw, and has never been used. It's got a gearbox
which
he says can be jiggered with to get the proper speed out of it for cutting
wood,
so I've got some research to do, don't even know the blade size yet. Just
wondering if anybody here has had experience with this sort of thing.

TeamCasa

Is this the three wheel version?
If its a full size 18" two wheel model, snap it up, it can be converted
easily to slice wood.

Dave

"BUB 209" wrote in message
A friend of mine wants to sell me an 18" Craftsman bandsaw for 200.00.
It's a
metal-cutting only bandsaw, and has never been used. It's got a gearbox
which
he says can be jiggered with to get the proper speed out of it for cutting
wood,
so I've got some research to do, don't even know the blade size yet. Just
wondering if anybody here has had experience with this sort of thing.

Stephen Young

Dave W wrote:
Craftsman used to sell a 14 inch metal and wood cutting bandsaw. It was
based on the Delta 14. The gearbox was used for metal cutting and was
bypassed (throwing a lever and installing a direct drive belt) for wood
cutting. I sure wish I had one of these. You are not located in Maine are
you?
Dave

I got this Delta saw on eBay last year - excellent tool. I replaced the
original Delta ac motor with a 1 hp dc unit & control. Heaven.
Roger Shoaf

Subject: Bandsaw Conversion
From: s

does it look like this:

Here's an update on my post. The
bandsaw is a Dayton model 6Y942.

Before you tesr that apart look here

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...mId=1611787038

According to this you have a 4 speed model that will cut wood (high Speed is
2800 or 3000 FPM

Bring the machine home and then ask grainger for a manual. Also on this
page you will find the motor and the blades.

Grainger is also pretty good about selling parts for their stuff.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Suffolk Machinery 1-800-234-SAWS with dimension and what you want to
do.

On 08 Jan 2005 13:19:40 GMT, (BUB 209) wrote:

For one, I am having no
luck finding a wood selection of quality
133" blades online

rlb40

Just wondering about the additional saws that are available for
400-600. Are they the same model - 6Y942? Where are you/your friend
located? Do they have the 4 speeds as advertised on the Grainger
site?
Also, have you gotten yours working to a good level? Thanks

Russell