Searcher

Default Is this a gloat

I just got my grandfathers old Stanley No. 5
Anyone tell me some info on this plane?

Searcher1

BillyBob

"Searcher" wrote in message
I just got my grandfathers old Stanley No. 5
Anyone tell me some info on this plane?

Sorry, no gloat. There's gazillions of them. Read about it here
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num5

Bob

Dave in Fairfax

BillyBob wrote:
Sorry, no gloat. There's gazillions of them. Read about it here
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num5

Disagree. Anytime that you can get something that's been in the
family passed down to you with emotional context it's a gloat.
Show us a picture and describe it, and it's blade, a bit better it
may be more than just what it appears. At the very least the age
could be interesting. Your GD may not have bought it new.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Searcher

Ok, well, maybe next time. But its still a nice looker, I'll put er on the
shelf.

Rich
AKA Searcher1

"BillyBob" wrote in message
news

"Searcher" wrote in message
I just got my grandfathers old Stanley No. 5
Anyone tell me some info on this plane?

Sorry, no gloat. There's gazillions of them. Read about it here
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num5

Bob

Searcher

Well, it's got a bit of rust on it, the edges are straight and smooth, the
bottome is grooved. All adjustments seem to move freely but the handle is
broken but intact

Searcher1

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
BillyBob wrote:
Sorry, no gloat. There's gazillions of them. Read about it here
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num5

Disagree. Anytime that you can get something that's been in the
family passed down to you with emotional context it's a gloat.
Show us a picture and describe it, and it's blade, a bit better it
may be more than just what it appears. At the very least the age
could be interesting. Your GD may not have bought it new.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

BillyBob

BillyBob wrote:
Sorry, no gloat. There's gazillions of them. Read about it here
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num5

Disagree. Anytime that you can get something that's been in the
family passed down to you with emotional context it's a gloat.

Sorry, I wasn't demeaning emotional or family value. When someone uses
"gloat" in this conference, I think of it being defined in terms of monetary
value. Emotional and family value is worth far more than money, if its your
own family. Gloat is a bad term to be used with anything that is a family
heirloom or momento.

Bob

BillyBob

"Searcher" wrote in message
Oh, hey wait a minute, I think this ones corrogated, WOuld that be grooves
on the bottom?

Searcher1

It would be a 5C. The "C" stands for corrugated. In theory, it helps to
alleviate friction in planing.

Bob

Searcher

I didn't take it in a demeaning way, no worries....BB! Being relativley new
to WW and with all the talk of old Stanleys from time to time I thought this
might be something special aside from the fact that it was my GF's.

Searcher1

ink.net...

BillyBob wrote:
Sorry, no gloat. There's gazillions of them. Read about it here
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num5

Disagree. Anytime that you can get something that's been in the
family passed down to you with emotional context it's a gloat.

Sorry, I wasn't demeaning emotional or family value. When someone uses
"gloat" in this conference, I think of it being defined in terms of
monetary
value. Emotional and family value is worth far more than money, if its
your
own family. Gloat is a bad term to be used with anything that is a family
heirloom or momento.

Bob

BillyBob

"Searcher" wrote in message
I didn't take it in a demeaning way, no worries....BB! Being relativley

new
to WW and with all the talk of old Stanleys from time to time I thought

this
might be something special aside from the fact that it was my GF's.

Old Stanley's are a cost effective way to get a good quality plane for your
shop. They generally sell for $50-$150 on ebay. There are a few special
rare models, but most of them follow a kind of supply-demand ebb and flow.
They are also subject to the occasional ebay buyer psychosis, which runs the
price up. A common Stanley plane in excellent condition with intact decals
seems to drive a feeding frenzy, even if the plane was made in 1960. A No.
8 seems to always bring $80 or more, even if its a piece of crap. I guess
there are not as many of them around.

Bob

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:51:25 GMT, "Searcher"
wrote:

I just got my grandfathers old Stanley No. 5
Anyone tell me some info on this plane?

Searcher1

in terms of cash value, not really, unless it's not what it sounds
like.

in terms of sentimental value, absolutely, unless you had to lose your
grampa to get it.

in terms of where that plane can lead you, craftsmanshipwise,
absolutely.
Owen Lawrence

Oh, hey wait a minute, I think this ones corrogated, WOuld that be
grooves
on the bottom?

It would be a 5C. The "C" stands for corrugated. In theory, it helps to
alleviate friction in planing.

A number of Christmases ago my father gave me a Stanley plane. It was my
first ever plane, and I'm surprised that I use it ten times more than I ever
expected to. (I now have three planes and enjoy them all.) But this one is
a Stanley plane marked as product 12-205, and inside the manual, under the
same column as 5/5C, it's marked H1205. The dimensions are all the same as
5/5C. Anybody know what's the difference?

- Owen -

Silvan

BillyBob wrote:

Disagree. Anytime that you can get something that's been in the
family passed down to you with emotional context it's a gloat.

Sorry, I wasn't demeaning emotional or family value. When someone uses
"gloat" in this conference, I think of it being defined in terms of

Conference. Wow, you just showed your age, or your roots, or both.

own family. Gloat is a bad term to be used with anything that is a family
heirloom or momento.

I disagree with you, and agree with Dave. Wholeheartedly. There are a
bazillion #5s on eBay, but only one #5 inherited from Grandpa.

Gloats aren't always about money.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Searcher wrote:

Ok, well, maybe next time. But its still a nice looker, I'll put er on the
shelf.

On the shelf? Do you have a #5 already? Sharpen it up and make some
shavings with it. It's what your grandpa would have done.

They're not exquisite rare collectibles, but they *are* incredibly useful
little critters. I have two of them, and use both of them regularly.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Patriarch

"Searcher" wrote in

Well, it's got a bit of rust on it, the edges are straight and smooth,
the bottome is grooved. All adjustments seem to move freely but the
handle is broken but intact

So what you have is a 5C, for corrugated.

check out Patrick Leach's site: www.supertool.com , for more than you ever
wanted to know about vintage Stanley hand tools.

Personal opinion: Old tools have a soul, a part of their former owners.
Keep yours alive. Use it.

Patriarch

AAvK

I just got my grandfathers old Stanley No. 5
Anyone tell me some info on this plane?
Searcher1

Many congrats! I think it is a good gloat really, especially if it came from
family. I would be extremely happy about that, nice tool for free. No wood
workers in my family so I bought a sweet #5 non c type 12 on eBay for
$10+s/h, just needed a cleaning and a sharpening, not all done yet.

I used the "scary sharp" method which works awesome. It is thick glass
(junk shop) with multiple successions of different grades of AO sandpaper
until finely honed. The SP back is lightly sprayed with 3m super 77, then onto
the glass, using a blade honing guide. If inteested in typing your plane, click
this link:
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/sta...flowchart.html
you could also study-up on tuning the plane, many older users never did
this or knew about it. These days it is all over the 'net on how to do it, here
is a good example, actually the best:
http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingp...planeindex.htm
http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingp...g/fettling.htm
Have great luck in your woodwork!

Alex

Dave Jackson

I have a no.5 i bought at a flea market on our honey moon coupla years ago
for $30. Since we had a "level 3" snow emergency here Thursday, work was
cancelled, so i finally had time to restore the old plane. I sanded the
base from 60 to 600grit (which took hours!), sanded the sides to 320 then
polished, buffed, sharpened, painted and cleaned the whole thing. It looks
and works like brand new! I discovered the chip breaker has "Stanley"
markings and a patent date as "Dec 24 1867", the brass knob said "Bailey's"
and "patented 1858" which is an earlier date than anything I've recently
discovered googling. The adjusting lever also says "Stanley". This thing
turned out so nice, i don't know if i can bring myself to put it back into
service. Right now, it is sitting on a shelf on my desk looking all shiny
and new. Good thing I have another one just like it but with no maker
markings, i think i'll tune that one up and keep it in the shop to use!
Good gloat, tune it up and make some shavings, grampa would be
roud! --dave

ink.net...

BillyBob wrote:
Sorry, no gloat. There's gazillions of them. Read about it here
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num5

Disagree. Anytime that you can get something that's been in the
family passed down to you with emotional context it's a gloat.

Sorry, I wasn't demeaning emotional or family value. When someone uses
"gloat" in this conference, I think of it being defined in terms of
monetary
value. Emotional and family value is worth far more than money, if its
your
own family. Gloat is a bad term to be used with anything that is a family
heirloom or momento.

Bob

Dave Jackson

Thanks for the link!
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/sta...flowchart.html

I just determined that I have a "Type 2" made 1869-1872. I've decided to
"retire" this plane into my small collection of antique tools which are more
for display (but can be used.) It just looks to good to keep in the shop
now! --dave

"AAvK" wrote in message

[...]

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 01:44:58 GMT, "BillyBob"
calmly ranted:

"Searcher" wrote in message
Oh, hey wait a minute, I think this ones corrogated, WOuld that be grooves
on the bottom?

Searcher1

It would be a 5C. The "C" stands for corrugated. In theory, it helps to
alleviate friction in planing.

In reality, it impairs angled use of said plane.
I much prefer flatbottoms, TYVM.

* * Humorous T-shirts Online
* Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
* * http://www.diversify.com

Well, it's got a bit of rust on it, the edges are straight and smooth,
the bottome is grooved. All adjustments seem to move freely but the
handle is broken but intact

I think st james bay tool has handles for that....

Silvan

Patriarch wrote:

DAGS for "plane wood". There are lots of sources for replacements, if you
aren't up to making your own. We ARE woodworkers, aren't we?

It's a bit of a bitchy job though. I shaped one to perfection, finished it
with beeswax, and then drilled the hole. Through the side of the
handle.

Sacrificed that one to JOAT's woodworking gods. The beeswax burned good.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
AAvK

Thanks for the link!
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/sta...flowchart.html

I just determined that I have a "Type 2" made 1869-1872. I've decided to
"retire" this plane into my small collection of antique tools which are more
for display (but can be used.) It just looks to good to keep in the shop
now! --dave

Rightious! Now that is a valuable and collectable antique. My type 11 #5 was made
1910-1918, but I'll be using it.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher
I just got my grandfathers old Stanley No. 5
Anyone tell me some info on this plane?

Searcher1
I don't think that it is officially a gloat until someone tells you that you suck. So, you suck. But seriously, it doesn't matter if it is worth a dime or $10k, it's pretty cool that you have one of your grandfather's planes. Some of my most treasured tools came from my grandfather...I even have a spokeshave and a handful or auger bits that more-or-less survived the fire that burned down his shop. They're not "worth" anything, but I wouldn't part with them. So, congrats.

Dave in Fairfax

Searcher wrote:
The handles not that bad and I can still use it rather well, Boy this thing
really stayed sharp over all those years. I cleaned it up and it looks great
for its age. I will use it and I am sure that my GF soul is in this thing.
When I visit my GM I look at those doors and think this plane fit those
doors!

Good for you. THAT'S the feeling I was talking about. When you
need new tote and knob, Woodcraft sells the set for about $25.
SAVE the nut and shaft that go through each peice, the threads
won't match the ones to modern Stanleys. If you have a bandsaw,
and a lathe, you can make your own totes and knobs as you need
them. Give me a yell if you have any questions.

Dave in Fairfax