Member

Default Very Moderate Gloat

My neighbor recently moved and I helped him. He had an old (maybe 40 years) Craftsman heavy-as-hell-cast-iron-beast-of-a-table saw that he wouldn't have room for at his new place. He gave it to me for helping him. It works fine, the fence is no Bieseymer but it locks securely and is relatively parallel to the blade - all I had to do was replace a missing knob; I'll probably replace its belt and tune it up as well. The blade on it was actually pretty decent (40 tooth carbide).

We're building a new house right now. When it is time to do the finish work I'll take it to the job site and chain it in the garage - no real loss if someone steals or vandalizes it. And if they don't, I guess I can live with having two table saws (maybe SWMBO will let me put my woodshop in the 2 car bay of the garage instead of the single bay - that would be a Super Gloat, but I won't hold my breath!). I guess that since I'm going to have a dedicated woodshop (14 ft. by 23 ft) in our new house’s garage this posting should probably count two gloats!

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!
ToolMiser

I will give you a gloat for that. At times here we sometimes get hung up on
unisaws (I own two), etc. but when it comes down to it a table saw is a very
simple tool, and there is no reason that yours can't work very nice.

Merry Christmas
George H Hughes

Do you really know what you have here? Years ago Craftsman tablesaws were
made King-Seeley. Heavy as hell and a great saw. From what I understand
they were very outstanding and draw good price now-a-days. I would check it
out.....
George in Georgia

--
makesawdust

WaltC

I have one of those and it still works great. No plans to replace. I
did put an upgraded fence on it, just because. The old one worked ok
if you were careful about pushing it tight to the table before locking.

Sounds like the saw I use. I like it a lot (it could have more power).
I also replaced the fence with one of the new Craftsman Align-a-Rip
(or some such name). I also like this a lot, and for the $ (less than
$200) it's a hell of a good fence.

Dan

Mike Marlow

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sounds like the saw I use. I like it a lot (it could have more power).
I also replaced the fence with one of the new Craftsman Align-a-Rip
(or some such name). I also like this a lot, and for the $ (less than
$200) it's a hell of a good fence.

Dan

Count me in as another Align-A-Rip fan. Great fence, better price than the
alternatives. Has consistently gotten good reviews.
--

-Mike-

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George H Hughes
Do you really know what you have here? Years ago Craftsman tablesaws were
made King-Seeley. Heavy as hell and a great saw. From what I understand
they were very outstanding and draw good price now-a-days. I would check it
out.....
George in Georgia
Thanks George. I wasn't aware of the history behind Craftsman tablesaws. I checked, and unfortunately my freebie saw wasn't made by King-Seeley. Nevertheless I am still happy with it, especially at the price of $0.00. I'd say that it is easily worth at least a 1000 times what I paid for it...

My old-new saw's model number is 11329950. The first three digits evidently specify the manufacturer. 103 would mean King-Seeley. 113 means Emerson Electric. Their is also a field on the label that says "Code B67" - from what I read, this refers to the date of production, or 1967. So, my guess of about 40 years old was close. Emerson Electric took over manufacturing Craftsman tablesaws in the early 1960s.

I hadn't realized this until you inspired me to look under the hood, but its motor can be wired to run at either 120 or 240 volts. It says that it runs at 3450 rpm, 60 cycle, 120/240 volts, 13/6.5 amps. But I didn't see a horse power rating - does anyone have any guesses? Maybe 3/4 or 1 hp?

I think that I'm going to mount some wheels to it to make it more portable. Although it is lighter that my Grizzly cabinet saw, it still takes two people lift it!