Al in WA soon MT

Default Cradle problems?

Hi Guys,

Got the cradle plan SWMBO likes from furniture.com but have a minor problem.
It calls for 3/8" mortises for all the 30 spindles plus a couple other
parts. Don't have a mortiser so how do I drill square holds without one?
Already talked to Santa with my list so that's out. Mentioned it to SWMBO
but she just said, "You'll figure it out as you always do".

Soooo, I was looking at Grizzly's ShopFox G9976 Mortiser. Anyone have this
and have any comments whether it's good or not? Don't want to spend too
much cause we're saving for our retirement move to MT. Not sure I could
convince her that it's a requirement for woodworking in MT. Then again, who
knows?

Help Guys,
Al in WA

Edwin Pawlowski

"Al in WA soon MT" wrote in message

It calls for 3/8" mortises for all the 30 spindles plus a couple other
parts. Don't have a mortiser so how do I drill square holds without one?

Drill it out with a 3/8" Forstner bit then clean it up with chisels. The
first m & t project I had called for about 50 joints and that is what I did.
.. It is possible to use a router and square it or make rounded tenons.

Roger Shoaf

If you wanted square holes make the rails in two pieces and in one piece,
use your router to make slots and then glue the pieces together.

Of course if you do it that way you might need some more clamps...

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

[...]

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:29:34 -0800, "Al in WA soon MT"
calmly ranted:

Hi Guys,

Got the cradle plan SWMBO likes from furniture.com but have a minor problem.
It calls for 3/8" mortises for all the 30 spindles plus a couple other
parts. Don't have a mortiser so how do I drill square holds without one?
Already talked to Santa with my list so that's out. Mentioned it to SWMBO
but she just said, "You'll figure it out as you always do".

Get a mortising chisel and let her hear you pounding on that for
half a day. She'll OK the purchase in a heartbeat. g

Soooo, I was looking at Grizzly's ShopFox G9976 Mortiser. Anyone have this
and have any comments whether it's good or not? Don't want to spend too
much cause we're saving for our retirement move to MT. Not sure I could
convince her that it's a requirement for woodworking in MT. Then again, who
knows?

I haven't used it to its fullest yet, but I love my Shop Fox mortiser.
Two thumbs up!

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown