RonB

Default Router Speed Controls - Comments

Any experience with the stand-alone router speed controls? I have a 2-year
old single speed Bosch 1617, love it and I don't want to replace it. I
would, however, like the capability to control the speed and the stand-alone
controllers look like a good investment.

Only concern - Is any compromise on the router motor,or internal circuitry
from a reliability standpoint? I don't want to cook my Bosch.

Bob

"RonB" wrote in message
Any experience with the stand-alone router speed controls? I have a

2-year
old single speed Bosch 1617, love it and I don't want to replace it. I
would, however, like the capability to control the speed and the

stand-alone
controllers look like a good investment.

Ron, I'm not trying to put you off, but I think there's a wealth of
experience and comment in Google group archives on this topic, including
comments on use with specific routers. I'd recommend you comb the previous
posts to get the info in a much shorter time.

Go to http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.woodworking and search for
"router speed control".

Bob

sandman

In article Qyjxd.14278$F25.6424@okepread07, "RonB"
wrote:

Any experience with the stand-alone router speed controls? I have a 2-year
old single speed Bosch 1617, love it and I don't want to replace it. I
would, however, like the capability to control the speed and the stand-alone
controllers look like a good investment.

Only concern - Is any compromise on the router motor,or internal circuitry
from a reliability standpoint? I don't want to cook my Bosch.

I have played with one of those before. I found it was 'searching' in a
pulse-like fashion for a speed to settle into when it was not under
load.
Motor fans are sized for optimum airflow at a specific RPM. In the case
of single speed, they're optimized for maximum RPM.
EVS devices are 'fanned' for lower RPM and loads.
Your Bosch, or any single speed device, wouldn't be blowing the same
amount of air at lower RPM even though the load could be generating a
****load* of heat. That lower airflow may still be adequate, just that
we don't know for sure, eh?
I'm sure that with the smaller bits it wouldn't be cause for concern,
but those horizontal raised panel bits?

*****load = Canadian term for 'a lot'. May be metric.

Rob

"Common sense is not common"
(Voltaire)
Ba r r y

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:15:14 -0600, "RonB" wrote:

Any experience with the stand-alone router speed controls? I have a 2-year
old single speed Bosch 1617, love it and I don't want to replace it. I
would, however, like the capability to control the speed and the stand-alone
controllers look like a good investment.

Replace? G

More than one router is not a bad thing...

Barry

Leon

"RonB" wrote in message
Any experience with the stand-alone router speed controls? I have a
2-year old single speed Bosch 1617, love it and I don't want to replace
it. I would, however, like the capability to control the speed and the
stand-alone controllers look like a good investment.

Only concern - Is any compromise on the router motor,or internal circuitry
from a reliability standpoint? I don't want to cook my Bosch.

I have use the external variable speed units. IMHO they do what they are
suppose to do but unlike many routers with built in variable speed they do
not maintain the router speed under a load. Typically the router with the
built in variable speed has feed back and will maintain speed under load to
a greater degree.

RonB

"
More than one router is not a bad thing...

Oh, I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact I own two now including the Bosch and an old Craftsman that does OK.
I do plan to buy one of the BIG MOMMA's for a router table later on. I have
been seeing the speed controls in the $30 range and thought it would help
for now. However, based on some good comments I have received here, I am
going to hold the speed control capability off until I acquire big momma.