David Hall

Default Bosch 1590 jigsaw

Well I have had a B&D jigsaw for about 20 years. It works so "good" that I
probably haven't had it out for 4 or 5 years. While I read all the nice
comments about the Bosch jigsaw here, my expectations weren't real high given
my jigsaw experience. Today I picked up the Bosch 1590 top handle at the Lowes
20% off sale and tried it out when I got it home. So that's what a jigsaw is
supposed to work like!! I can now understand how you can actually use one for
serious work.

Dave Hall
Greg O

"David Hall" wrote in message
Well I have had a B&D jigsaw for about 20 years. It works so "good" that I
probably haven't had it out for 4 or 5 years. While I read all the nice
comments about the Bosch jigsaw here, my expectations weren't real high

given
my jigsaw experience. Today I picked up the Bosch 1590 top handle at the

Lowes
20% off sale and tried it out when I got it home. So that's what a jigsaw

is
supposed to work like!! I can now understand how you can actually use one

for
serious work.

Dave Hall

When I was a kid my dad had one of those tan plastic $20 B&D jigsaws, it
would barely cut anything. 15 years ago I needed a jigsaw for a project. I
got my hands on a Bosch and could not believe the differance!
Greg

Unisaw A100

David Hall wrote:
So that's what a jigsaw is supposed to work like!! I can now
understand how you can actually use one for serious work.

I think the usage/discovery of a "good" portable jig saw is
one of those defining moments that each and every wooddorker
eventually finds himself enjoying. If you review some of
the ancient text you'll find story upon story of almost
everyone's revelations with this thing.

UA100, who went from a Black and Decker (POS Model) to a
Black and Decker (Professional Model (when it actually meant
something)) and now own the Bosch...
GregP

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:32:12 -0600, Unisaw A100
wrote:

UA100, who went from a Black and Decker (POS Model) to a
Black and Decker (Professional Model (when it actually meant
something)) and now own the Bosch...

"The" Bosch ? You mean a particular model ?
TaskMule

"David Hall" wrote in message
Well I have had a B&D jigsaw for about 20 years. It works so "good" that I
probably haven't had it out for 4 or 5 years. While I read all the nice
comments about the Bosch jigsaw here, my expectations weren't real high

given
my jigsaw experience. Today I picked up the Bosch 1590 top handle at the

Lowes
20% off sale and tried it out when I got it home. So that's what a jigsaw

is
supposed to work like!! I can now understand how you can actually use one

for
serious work.

Dave Hall

The main feature in a quality jigsaw is the small backup wheel behind the
blade, the orbital action, and the general tolerances in the mechanism. Also
the blade retention system makes life easier. Set-screws are horrible,
bayonet mounts do the job.

David Hall

Well I have had a B&D jigsaw for about 20 years.

Same as me. They don't work very well, but the #@!$% thing just
wouldn't break. I hated to replace it when I needed the money for tools
I didn't have :-).

Yeah, mine wouldn't break either....might be because I hated it so much I just
didn't use it. Hard to break 'em if you don't use 'em and just can't bring
yourself to throw it against the nearest block wall a few times.

Dave Hall
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Upon some suggestions from The Wrecking Crew of a cpl of years back, I
bought a Milwaukee jigsaw. I just love it...BUT..
I use my buddy's Bosch barrel grip when I need to do something that
requires the utmost of control. I do not think you can get that kind of
control from a top grip...Bosch or Milwaukee..... which makes me think I
need a Bosch barrel grip...yes, that's it...I NEED one of those....

And for only $152, you can have one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi

Unisaw A100

GregP wrote:
"The" Bosch ? You mean a particular model ?

Yeah. The blue and silver one. Came in a white case.

UA100
GregP

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:08:41 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

GregP wrote:
"The" Bosch ? You mean a particular model ?

Yeah. The blue and silver one. Came in a white case.

I guess that it's not the one that came with a "free"
orbital sander at HD back 2-3 weeks ago.

wrote:

GregP wrote:
"The" Bosch ? You mean a particular model ?

Yeah. The blue and silver one. Came in a white case.

UA100

you got a case with yours?

I modified an old makita cordless drill case for mine. one of the old
metal rounded corner makita drill cases. from about 1985 or so...
Unisaw A100

I guess that it's not the one that came with a "free"
orbital sander at HD back 2-3 weeks ago.

Nope. Got it at Nue's in the late 90's.

UA100
Unisaw A100

you got a case with yours?

Yah! It's all white and metal. It was their anniversary
that years so it's got all that onnit also. I really wanted
to take out and bash it against a pile of gravel to see if I
could beat the "I'm a newbie" look out of it. I do that
when I get a new hard hat also. I hate showing up on site
with a shiny hat.

UA100

Tony

Hi, my Bosch jigsaw came in a very nice white metal case, wife tried to
swipe it to keep her sewing stuff in it, that she carries with her. Seems
most of the cases are plastic.

Tony

wrote:

GregP wrote:
"The" Bosch ? You mean a particular model ?

Yeah. The blue and silver one. Came in a white case.

UA100

you got a case with yours?

I modified an old makita cordless drill case for mine. one of the old
metal rounded corner makita drill cases. from about 1985 or so...

Leon

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
you got a case with yours?

Yah! It's all white and metal. It was their anniversary
that years so it's got all that onnit also.

I figgered they would have an anniversary about every year or so. ;~)

J. Clarke

David Hall wrote:

Well I have had a B&D jigsaw for about 20 years.

Same as me. They don't work very well, but the #@!$% thing just
wouldn't break. I hated to replace it when I needed the money for tools
I didn't have :-).

Yeah, mine wouldn't break either....might be because I hated it so much I
just didn't use it. Hard to break 'em if you don't use 'em and just can't
bring yourself to throw it against the nearest block wall a few times.

Hey, at least you can break a B&D by throwing it at a wall. I kind of wish
my Bosch would break so that I'd have an excuse to get a new one with a
tilting shoe, quick blade release, and dust blower. But I don't think I
want to replace the wall that badly (I suspect the wall would break before
the saw).

Dave Hall

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Leon

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
David Hall wrote

Hey, at least you can break a B&D by throwing it at a wall. I kind of
wish
my Bosch would break so that I'd have an excuse to get a new one with a
tilting shoe, quick blade release, and dust blower.

I am afraid that you will need to perhaps throw gasoline on it and lighter
up to destroy that saw... ;~)

The quick blade change is a blessing for those that change blades or
actually wear blades out.

J. Clarke

Leon wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
David Hall wrote

Hey, at least you can break a B&D by throwing it at a wall. I kind of
wish
my Bosch would break so that I'd have an excuse to get a new one with a
tilting shoe, quick blade release, and dust blower.

I am afraid that you will need to perhaps throw gasoline on it and lighter
up to destroy that saw... ;~)

The quick blade change is a blessing for those that change blades or
actually wear blades out.

I'm forever misplacing that long thin screwdriver--if I had to change blades
more often I might have more luck keeping track of it. Trouble is that the
only time I need to change blades usually is going from wood to metal or
putting a scroll blade in, and I don't have to do that change very often.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Leon

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
David Hall wrote

Hey, at least you can break a B&D by throwing it at a wall. I kind of
wish
my Bosch would break so that I'd have an excuse to get a new one with a
tilting shoe, quick blade release, and dust blower.

I am afraid that you will need to perhaps throw gasoline on it and
lighter
up to destroy that saw... ;~)

The quick blade change is a blessing for those that change blades or
actually wear blades out.

I'm forever misplacing that long thin screwdriver--if I had to change
blades
more often I might have more luck keeping track of it. Trouble is that
the
only time I need to change blades usually is going from wood to metal or
putting a scroll blade in, and I don't have to do that change very often.

IMHO your saw has a better blade change setup than the next generation,
the one with the combination lock style knob that you spin a few times. But
the latest and greatest is super. My Milwaulee has the lever release and it
is wonderful.

Slowhand

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
David Hall wrote

Hey, at least you can break a B&D by throwing it at a wall. I kind of
wish
my Bosch would break so that I'd have an excuse to get a new one with a
tilting shoe, quick blade release, and dust blower.

I am afraid that you will need to perhaps throw gasoline on it and lighter
up to destroy that saw... ;~)

The quick blade change is a blessing for those that change blades or
actually wear blades out.

Aint that the truth. I've had the 1590 (previously had the 1587) for about
4 months now. Huge improvement over the 1587. The 1587 blade ejection
system was horrible and found it to be a major reason NOT to own the 1587.
The 1587 had plenty of power but...yep, the blade ejector just sucked.

The only thing I don't like about the 1590 is the bottom plate anti scuff
dealybobber doesn't fit tight and falls off. I remedied that by sticking
some 2 sided tape to it to hold it in place.
SH