John Moorhead

Default polyurethene: sanding, nibs & thinnnnning

Folks -

Ok, okay..... she had her pick of a dozen stains, dyes & shellacs for a
solid oak Shaker Cradle.... and the choice is Natural Tone Satin
Polyurethene... So, that's that...

I am prefinishing the red oak before I cut and assemble, in a bid to get a
smoother finish. A Couple of questions have crept up on me:

1) Even though I am brushing the finish on the boards in a fairly warm room,
the finish is rather thick. I would * really* like to thin it with paint
thinner ~ 5% by volume to improve levelling. Would this be good practice?
What kind of trouble can I get into?

2) Nibs - I got 'em! I expect that I'll wet sand with thinner and a sanding
block for better flatness than I might get with steel wool. What grit
should I use?

3) I have started with 2 coats and will let it dry in a warm location for
2-3 days before I sand - any tips for the final applications of poly? I
should expect to do some finish sanding, no?

4) I'd like to tape off the areas that will be glued - is blue painter's
tape up to the task if I am careful about finishing near the tape line?

TIA for your remarks...

John Moorhead

John Moorhead

JT -

Well, yes... Of course I read the directions... I was asking for personal
experience of those on the board in addition to the MFR's instructions that
may well have been vetted by a bunch of Lawyers rather than experienced
woodworkers.... My bad!

I'll bet you're also the only guy that drives 55.0 in a 55 zone too.... Ah
yes, as Mark Twain said, virtue is its' own punishment.

Thanks SO much for the advice!

John

Mike Myers

I normaly sand with 220 grit, dampen the wood and let it dry. Sand again
lightly with 220 or higher just enough to remove the nibs. I have been thining
Minwax Polys about 25% and applying as a wipe on. Usually takes 3 to 5 coats.
Sometimes I add BLO to the first and second coat. Lightly sand or steelwool
between coats as needed. I also prefinish parts before assembling when they are
hard to get at.

Mike