Chris

Default finishing on MDF

I'm making a couple of racks for my vinyl out of MDF and I stained them
ebony. I put on two coats of the stain and they look great, but now the
stain rubs off a bit when I pick the cases up and I'm afraid the same will
happen when I slide my vinyl in and out of the cases. What would you guys
suggest? I was thinking of applying a spray on poly, but any other
suggestions are welcome. I'm primarily concerned about the stain rubbing
off, less so than I am about long term wear and tear protection on the case.
Thanks a bunch,
Chris

Woodcrafter

"Chris" wrote in message
I'm making a couple of racks for my vinyl out of MDF and I stained them
ebony. I put on two coats of the stain and they look great, but now the
stain rubs off a bit when I pick the cases up and I'm afraid the same will
happen when I slide my vinyl in and out of the cases. What would you guys
suggest? I was thinking of applying a spray on poly, but any other
suggestions are welcome. I'm primarily concerned about the stain rubbing
off, less so than I am about long term wear and tear protection on the

case.
Thanks a bunch,
Chris

I'd probably try the poly route. I haven't used MDF a lot, and when I have,
its always been a painted finish, but it sounds like you need some kind of
clear protective layer, and poly comes to mind first to me also. There may
be better suggestions to come...

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 60 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction
- Milescraft SignCrafter

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 22:22:26 -0800, "Chris"
wrote:

What would you guys suggest?

I use a matt black blackboard paint (very hardwearing) and then wax
over the top to put a shine on it.
mac davis

wrote:

I'm making a couple of racks for my vinyl out of MDF and I stained them
ebony. I put on two coats of the stain and they look great, but now the
stain rubs off a bit when I pick the cases up and I'm afraid the same will
happen when I slide my vinyl in and out of the cases. What would you guys
suggest? I was thinking of applying a spray on poly, but any other
suggestions are welcome. I'm primarily concerned about the stain rubbing
off, less so than I am about long term wear and tear protection on the case.
Thanks a bunch,
Chris

Chris.. I think I'd at least rub the hell out of the stain with a rag
first...
Seems like if the stain is rubbing off, it's either not drying or just
flaky, and in either case not good to topcoat..

You might try some Minwax rubbing poly... worst case is that you'd rub
it black and it would harden and seal.. might be an interesting
effect, black poly..