David

Default Veritas steel straight edge:

If you have one, please comment on it's accuracy.

Everything Veritas has ALWAYS been above average in accuracy, precision
and workmanship. They appear to take extra care when it's their own
brand.

Rumpty

I have one and it's as flat as they say it is.

--

Rumpty

"David" wrote in message
If you have one, please comment on it's accuracy.

John Moorhead

David -

I have the steel one - works wonders! Far more accurate than I am, tho'
sometimes that's not saying much. I only wish they had a 36" one as well.

John

"David" wrote in message
If you have one, please comment on it's accuracy.

robdingnagian1

Make sure to do that end to end and not face to face.

robdingnagian1

Make sure to do that end to end and not face to face.

philly

Starrett sells a 36", 48", and 72" straight edge, as well as shorter
lengths.

Philly
"David" wrote in message
If you have one, please comment on it's accuracy.

My Old Tools

For a reasonably priced longer straight edge, try carpet installers tools
http://www.installertools.com/cgi-bi...traight%20Edge

--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"David" wrote in message
If you have one, please comment on it's accuracy.

Robin Lee

"David" wrote in message
If you have one, please comment on it's accuracy.

Hi John -

We have a 38" and a 50" (both in Aluminum) coming in the January
supplement...

Cheers -

Rob

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:12:43 -0600, "My Old Tools"
wrote:

For a reasonably priced longer straight edge, try carpet installers tools
http://www.installertools.com/cgi-bi...traight%20Edge

would they be .001 or .003 accurate?

wrote:

For a reasonably priced longer straight edge, try carpet installers tools
http://www.installertools.com/cgi-bi...traight%20Edge

would they be .001 or .003 accurate?

carpet laying doesn't need that kind of accuracy, and the tools see a
lot of abuse. I doubt that the manufacturers would bother.
Robin Lee

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
Robin, Is it extruded or solid I-beam type? Does it have hardened edges?
If so, put me down for one of the 50"

Dave

. ..

"David" wrote in message
If you have one, please comment on it's accuracy.

Hi John -

We have a 38" and a 50" (both in Aluminum) coming in the January
supplement...

Cheers -

Rob

Hi -

It's the same extrusion as our current one - also a milled edge.

We claim straight to within .003" over the length of all sizes in aluminum.
Our first batch of aluminum straightedges was straight to within about .001"
though...of course - we're not going guarantee that....

Cheers -

Rob

Frank Ketchum

"My Old Tools" wrote in message
For a reasonably priced longer straight edge, try carpet installers tools
http://www.installertools.com/cgi-bi...traight%20Edge

Why in the world does a carpet installer need a six foot straightedge within
5 thousanths?

Upscale

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message

Why in the world does a carpet installer need a six foot straightedge

within
5 thousanths?

A carpet for the space shuttle?

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:50:27 -0500, "Robin Lee"
calmly ranted:

Hi -

It's the same extrusion as our current one - also a milled edge.

We claim straight to within .003" over the length of all sizes in aluminum.
Our first batch of aluminum straightedges was straight to within about .001"
though...of course - we're not going guarantee that....

Especially after UPS and FedEx get through with 'em, eh?

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Morris Dovey

Frank Ketchum wrote:

"My Old Tools" wrote in message

For a reasonably priced longer straight edge, try carpet
installers tools
http://www.installertools.com/cgi-bi...traight%20Edge

Why in the world does a carpet installer need a six foot
straightedge within 5 thousanths?

Frank...

Can you imagine a carpet looking worse than an orange/purple/pink
shag carpet that's more than 0.005" /oversize/?

(-8

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Charlie Self

Morris Dovey responds:

Why in the world does a carpet installer need a six foot
straightedge within 5 thousanths?

Frank...

Can you imagine a carpet looking worse than an orange/purple/pink
shag carpet that's more than 0.005" /oversize/?

Probably the guy who did a house I looked at in Parkersburg. One bedroom had
purple and grfeen shag carpet, with one wall all mirrors (several of them
broken), while another bedroom had brown and yellowish orange shag, with one
wall all bookcase--badly built but firmly nailed to the wall.

Charlie Self
"Vote: the instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself
and a wreck of his country." Ambrose Bierce
Unisaw A100

Robin Lee wrote:
We have a 38" and a 50" (both in Aluminum) coming in the January
supplement...

This is good news. I've been awaiting the re-emergence of
the longer straight edge.

UA100

robdingnagian1

Unisaw A100 wrote:
Robin Lee wrote:
We have a 38" and a 50" (both in Aluminum) coming in the January
supplement...

This is good news. I've been awaiting the re-emergence of
the longer straight edge.

UA100

How accurate are machinist parallels? Can they be used to accurately
true up table saws and jointers? What exactly do machinists use them
for?

Eric T

patrick conroy

"robdingnagian1" wrote in message
oups.com...

How accurate are machinist parallels?

How ok are you with non-Euclidian space?

Robin Lee

"David" wrote in message
Any pricing info, Robin? (I'm sure someone in Canada will complain
about the unfair pricing...) :

David

Hi David -

Right now, they sit at :

38" - 39.50 CDN, 33.50 US
50" - 65.00 CDN, 55.00 US

Not sure about shipping surcharge (Canada) on the 50" one - but I think
we're eating it....nothings final 'till it's printed though.

Cheers -

Rob

Charles Spitzer

"Robin Lee" wrote in message
news

"David" wrote in message
Any pricing info, Robin? (I'm sure someone in Canada will complain
about the unfair pricing...) :

David

Hi David -

Right now, they sit at :

38" - 39.50 CDN, 33.50 US
50" - 65.00 CDN, 55.00 US

Not sure about shipping surcharge (Canada) on the 50" one - but I think
we're eating it....nothings final 'till it's printed though.

fold it to make it short enough so you don't have a surcharge

Cheers -

Rob

Edwin Pawlowski

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message

Why in the world does a carpet installer need a six foot straightedge
within 5 thousanths?

Ok, lets say the wall is out of parallel by 10 thousandths. . . . . . . . .
..

Ba r r y

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:24:54 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Ok, lets say the wall is out of parallel by 10 thousandths. . . . . . . . .

The same wall that's framed by guys who mark with crayons? Never!

Barry
John

Rob

Any possibility that you are going to come out with those lengths in
STEEL??

I know, they would be MORE expensive, but frankly, I prefer Steel over
Aluminum for things like those that I intend to keep and USE for many,
many years

John

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:10:13 -0500, "Robin Lee"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Any pricing info, Robin? (I'm sure someone in Canada will complain
about the unfair pricing...) :

David

Hi David -

Right now, they sit at :

38" - 39.50 CDN, 33.50 US
50" - 65.00 CDN, 55.00 US

Not sure about shipping surcharge (Canada) on the 50" one - but I think
we're eating it....nothings final 'till it's printed though.

Cheers -

Rob

Robin Lee

wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Any pricing info, Robin? (I'm sure someone in Canada will complain
about the unfair pricing...) :

David

Hi David -

Right now, they sit at :

38" - 39.50 CDN, 33.50 US
50" - 65.00 CDN, 55.00 US

Not sure about shipping surcharge (Canada) on the 50" one - but I think
we're eating it....nothings final 'till it's printed though.

Cheers -

Rob

Hi John -

We're looking at longer steel versions - but it requires new equipment, the
weight becomes a factor, as does the stress relief....it won't be fast...

Cheers -

Rob

Mike Marlow

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message

Why in the world does a carpet installer need a six foot straightedge
within 5 thousanths?

Ok, lets say the wall is out of parallel by 10 thousandths. . . . . . . .

..
.

Clearly a problem Edwin, but that's where the art of splicing on a carpet
shim comes in. Stick a little duct tape on the underside spanning the
joint, and marry in the .0010 needed to follow the wall. Geeze...

--

-Mike-

patrick conroy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Ok, lets say the wall is out of parallel by 10 thousandths. . . . . . . .

..

I've got one wall in this house that's laughable, unless you owned it.
Thankfully it's a interior wall inside of a closet.

Ba r r y

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 07:31:01 -0800, David wrote:

Barry, don't scoff at the guys with crayons! Crayons are much more
accurate than using a spray can of inverted marking paint.

This reminds me of a recent WSN article I read. A former boat
outfitter was describing how nothing in a boat is square, and
everything needs to be scribed. Just like a lot of new homes! g

Seriously, though, the boat fitting has to make working with funky
compound angles second nature.

Barry
John

Rob

Well thanks for at least saying you are contemplating it - will live
with my 2ft steel one till you come out with one 4ft+

John

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:30:01 -0500, "Robin Lee"
wrote:

.. .

Straight Edge Wanker Woodworking 36 August 12th 04 07:05 AM
Concrete Floor Question E5I5O Home Repair 9 February 17th 04 01:28 PM
Clampless straight edge seen on This Old House Adam Diehl Woodworking 6 January 18th 04 03:40 PM
Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 115 November 17th 03 07:56 PM