Adam Diehl

Default Clampless straight edge seen on This Old House

This morning on This Old House, Tom was using a clampless straight edge
to rip and cut dadoes into plywood using handheld tools. I did not catch
the episode number, but it is one of the Concord cottage episodes. Of
course, because the show airs on PBS, they did not say who the
manufacturer is. I wonder if any of you know who makes this straight
edge? It looked to be made of extruded aluminum, and had three or four
long rubber gaskets on the bottom that keep it from sliding when there's
pressure on it, so it did not need to be clamped to the stock being cut.
The tool rode on a protruding rail, so it didn't need to be pressed
against the edge of the straight edge. It appeared that the router and
circular saw were fitted with a special base to ride on the rail. I can
neither afford or house a table saw, large router table, or jointer
right now, and it seems like this tool would offer a reasonable
compromise. I am especially impressed by the rail feature that keeps the
tool aligned and riding straight; the clampless feature sounds
convenient, but I'm not hell-bent on having it if there's another (more
affordable) tool that is comparable. Any information would be
appreciated. Thanks!

-AD
Wes Stewart

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:07:58 -0500, Adam Diehl
wrote:

|This morning on This Old House, Tom was using a clampless straight edge
|to rip and cut dadoes into plywood using handheld tools. I did not catch
|the episode number, but it is one of the Concord cottage episodes. Of
|course, because the show airs on PBS, they did not say who the
|manufacturer is. I wonder if any of you know who makes this straight
|edge? It looked to be made of extruded aluminum, and had three or four
|long rubber gaskets on the bottom that keep it from sliding when there's
|pressure on it, so it did not need to be clamped to the stock being cut.
|The tool rode on a protruding rail, so it didn't need to be pressed
|against the edge of the straight edge. It appeared that the router and
|circular saw were fitted with a special base to ride on the rail. I can
|neither afford or house a table saw, large router table, or jointer
|right now, and it seems like this tool would offer a reasonable
|compromise. I am especially impressed by the rail feature that keeps the
|tool aligned and riding straight; the clampless feature sounds
|convenient, but I'm not hell-bent on having it if there's another (more
|affordable) tool that is comparable. Any information would be
|appreciated. Thanks!

|-AD

http://www.festool-usa.com/

John Siegel

"Adam Diehl" wrote in message

[...]

There are other suppliers of straight edge guides which have the tool
ride on a plate instead of against the edge. Those that I have seen in
catalogs do use clamps. One supplier is Penn State Industries. I
cannot speak at all to the quality of their product as I have never seen
it but it seems to meet your description. I suspect it is a lot less
expensive than any tool from Fein.
John

Gerald Ross

I would wonder how well the rubber gaskets would hold once they got a
dusting of sawdust.
I made my circular saw guides out of a piece of 1/2 " aluminum channel
from Lowes, bolting it onto a strip of scrap paneling. It is very cheap,
very accurate and has to be clamped.

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA