Pat

Default formula for deck stairs

Hi,
can anyone give me a formula to do deck/patio stairs in metric.

Cheers
Pat

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:17:25 +1100, "Pat"
calmly ranted:

Hi,
can anyone give me a formula to do deck/patio stairs in metric.

25.4mm = 1"

Nexxxxxxxxxxxxxxt!

A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- || http://www.diversify.com
when an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming

Slowhand

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:17:25 +1100, "Pat"
calmly ranted:

Hi,
can anyone give me a formula to do deck/patio stairs in metric.

25.4mm = 1"

Nexxxxxxxxxxxxxxt!

3.28084 feet per meter? When I was 15, dad was a partner with another
contractor on a dam in Oklahoma. It was also the first federal job that
President Reagan had decided to make a metric job to get everyone used to
the forthcoming transition g. Guess what my job was my first summer
there. Converting the metric measurements on the plans into standard so dad
didn't have to think so much! That is a number I will never forget.
Fortunately the next summer I got to go out in the field and bust my butt in
the sweltering heat.
SH - the "I've done my time" woodworker

Badger

Slowhand wrote:
3.28084 feet per meter? When I was 15, dad was a partner with another
contractor on a dam in Oklahoma. It was also the first federal job that
President Reagan had decided to make a metric job to get everyone used to
the forthcoming transition g.

Hummm, still in the dark ages then ;-)

And American companies wonder why selling high tech gear to the rest of
the world is so hard....

Niel.

Below is from my alter self:

http://www.ihs.com/engineering/ihs-i.../200108/3.html

"GO METRICS - Not Adopting is Lliving in the Past
from Niel J.P.Fagan, Lab. and Process Superintendent, England

John P. Schweisthal hit that nail squarely on the head, but in England
we have it even worse with Metric, English Imperial and american english
to contend with.

We buy units from Asia and its metric, from Europe metric again, from
USA a horrible mixture some (few) metric but mainly weird sizes that
make little sense like #8/32 threads. Yes we still have some older kit
with BSF/BSW, but atleast they make some sense and you can still get
most sizes of nuts and bolts off the shelf, unlike most US threads.

Yes we English have gone metric, for MOST things, and its much much
easier to build systems as a result, we still retain BSP (our imperial
pipe thread standard) which has been adopted by most of the rest of the
world and it now has an ISO designation too.

We understand that the USA likes to do things differently, BUT using
non-standard thread systems and the measurement systems that go with
them (or is that the other way round) is just living in the past, as
with most industries here its modernize or die, or atleast get stuck in
an unfavourable trading position time-warp.

I was trained when inches were king, moved through the transition, and
apart from historic equipment (and vehicles, a 1950's Land- Rover being
my preferred mode of transport, for ecological reasons as much as
anything else) most everything is now metric, and fits first time
without wasteful and sometime dangerous adaptors made by unskilled
workers "just to make it fit", re-building is an off the shelf prospect
with standard parts and no problems with odd threads etc.

Move on, don't live in the past, the future is out there, grasp it with
both hands, sure it'll hurt for a while, but change always does, and go
for it, the old'uns will complain, but working in metric is easier, base
10 calc is quicker, and in 15-20 years you may have even have caught-up
with the rest of the world!"
Old Nick

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:17:25 +1100, "Pat"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Or you could look at a few and measure up one that feels good.

Hi,
can anyone give me a formula to do deck/patio stairs in metric.

Cheers
Pat

Mike Marlow

"Pat" wrote in message
I am in Australia, thats why I have asked for Metric. I really have no

idea
about imperial.
What I need is a formula for the angle of the stringers with the drops to
the treads etc.
I have built two sets so far but neither have a 'comfortable feel' to

them.

Forget formulas and angles Pat. DAGS for framing squares and steps.
There's some sites out there that will give you all the info you need to use
a framing square to lay out stairs. Basically, it's rise over run.
Typically, somewhere in the 7" range is what's comfortable for most people,
for the rise. The run should be at least that, and typically more... maybe
in the 10" range. I've heard it said that rise and run should total 17, but
I don't go by that myself. I prefer a bit more tread so that it feels more
like a walk than a step, but that's my preference.

--

-Mike-

Old Nick

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:07:08 +1100, "Pat"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Thanks Old Nick, That was a winner. I now have what I was looking for.
Thanks all.

Pat

Just watch one thing with slopes. They can be tricky *******s. I got
into an argument with a Civil Engineer once, because his 1:3 slope was
different from my 1:3 slope. I am still not sure who said what or what
the accepted standard is. But one of us was measuring 3 up the hill,
then going up 1, the other was measuring 3 dead horizontal, then going
up 1. So we had different angles altogether.

Actually it was 1:2. I said 30 deg, because the in of 30 is 1/2. I
walk up the slope 2 metres and I will be higher by 1 metre. He said
26.6 degrees, because he would go straight along 2 metres then up one.
As far as I was concerned he was welcome to buy a trench dogger
whenever he was working uphiull, and skyhooks when going downward!
G.