blue

Default refinish stairs - slippery not wanted

Just about to sand and finish the stairs going from the main floor to
the upstairs bedrooms. The stairs are maple I believe (seems to be the
same wood as the rest of the house which is maple). My first thought was
to simply sand and Verethane but I can see this being a slippery surface
for stairs and with a child's bedroom upstairs, this is out of the
question. I realize I could simply add a carpet runner, but prefer not to.

What other alternatives are out there that would provide me with similar
protection to Verethane but wouldn't be as slippery? I wouldn't mind
doing a coloured stain, but will this provide the wear protection that
stairs need? I read on some web site that "Minwax's Polyurethane
products have been tested for slip resistance", anyone had any
experience with this brand and slipperiness?

Suggestions welcome.

--
Remove YOUR CLOTHES to email me.
William Brown

I had good results with a low-sheen waterborne urethane. The steps
don't seem at all slippery. I didn't sand them really smooth and I
think the grain I left helps.

blue wrote:
Just about to sand and finish the stairs going from the main floor to
the upstairs bedrooms. The stairs are maple I believe (seems to be the
same wood as the rest of the house which is maple). My first thought was
to simply sand and Verethane but I can see this being a slippery surface
for stairs and with a child's bedroom upstairs, this is out of the
question. I realize I could simply add a carpet runner, but prefer not to.

What other alternatives are out there that would provide me with similar
protection to Verethane but wouldn't be as slippery? I wouldn't mind
doing a coloured stain, but will this provide the wear protection that
stairs need? I read on some web site that "Minwax's Polyurethane
products have been tested for slip resistance", anyone had any
experience with this brand and slipperiness?

Suggestions welcome.

there.

blue

Thanks William, I think I am going to give that a try. I just found out
today that staining maple isn't a grand idea because maple doesn't stain
well (apparently will end up blotchy?). We did the floors in water-based
Varathane so having the stairs match would be fine. I tried sliding
across our hardwood floors this evening and it wasn't as slippery as I
thought. :-) Good call on the low-sheen though, I think I might do satin
for the stairs instead of semi-gloss (like we did the floors), for some
reason I think it would be even less slippery?

blue wrote:

[...]

In Saskatoon.
Remove YOUR CLOTHES to email me.
jeffc

"blue" wrote in message

What other alternatives are out there that would provide me with similar
protection to Verethane but wouldn't be as slippery?

The best thing to do rather than mess with crazy painting ideas is to just
use gloss polyurethane, and then add slip-free adhesive strips.

jdk

jeffc wrote:
"blue" wrote in message

What other alternatives are out there that would provide me with similar
protection to Verethane but wouldn't be as slippery?

The best thing to do rather than mess with crazy painting ideas is to just
use gloss polyurethane, and then add slip-free adhesive strips.

use the gloss as stated above. then put non slip granules in some of the
urethane. it comes in the can. test the amount to mix on a scrap board.
i used this in a bath on cork for my wife with ms.