William Brown

Default refinish stairs - slippery not wanted

I had good results with a low-sheen waterborne urethane. The steps
don't seem at all slippery. I didn't sand them really smooth and I
think the grain I left helps.

blue wrote:
Just about to sand and finish the stairs going from the main floor to
the upstairs bedrooms. The stairs are maple I believe (seems to be the
same wood as the rest of the house which is maple). My first thought was
to simply sand and Verethane but I can see this being a slippery surface
for stairs and with a child's bedroom upstairs, this is out of the
question. I realize I could simply add a carpet runner, but prefer not to.

What other alternatives are out there that would provide me with similar
protection to Verethane but wouldn't be as slippery? I wouldn't mind
doing a coloured stain, but will this provide the wear protection that
stairs need? I read on some web site that "Minwax's Polyurethane
products have been tested for slip resistance", anyone had any
experience with this brand and slipperiness?

Suggestions welcome.

there.