ezalpha

Default installing cedar shingles.

Can I install cedar shingles directly on the 7/16" OSB plywood sheathing on
the backyard shed I built. Rafters are 16 .o.c. Or do I have to strap with
1 x 3" and attach the shingles to the strapping?
Dave

Dave Jackson

You can install directly to the osb. Make sure the fasteners you use
penetrate the shake and all the way through the osb, just as roofing nails
would. This will keep the fastener from working it's way out. --dave

"ezalpha" wrote in message
.. .
Can I install cedar shingles directly on the 7/16" OSB plywood sheathing
on the backyard shed I built. Rafters are 16 .o.c. Or do I have to strap
with 1 x 3" and attach the shingles to the strapping?
Dave

dondone

The 1x slats,w appropriate gaps but w/o solid sheathing, are commonally used
in wet climates like the Pacific northwest of the US. This lets air
circulate better in and around wood shakes & shinges to promote quicker
drying for longer life. Keeping them damp promotes mildew growth. Here in
the US southwest, wood shakes (we don't see many wood shingles) are applied
directly over sheathing like your OSB since moisture is not a problem.

"ezalpha" wrote in message
.. .
Can I install cedar shingles directly on the 7/16" OSB plywood sheathing
on

Slowhand

"ezalpha" wrote in message
.. .
Can I install cedar shingles directly on the 7/16" OSB plywood sheathing
on the backyard shed I built. Rafters are 16 .o.c. Or do I have to strap
with 1 x 3" and attach the shingles to the strapping?

Make sure to install tar paper over the osb before you put the shingles on.
SH

ezalpha

Thanks. I bought the 1 x3 and was going to strap it. Then I read where
it's best to sheath about 2' around the perimeter of the roof surface and
strap inside that. One said use tarpaper and another said don't use
tarpaper because it can trap moisture on the underside. In the end, I
sheathed the whole thing. The main determinant for me is that it's getting
cold. I finished the sheathing today, but it's only about 38 degrees. If I
can just get the shingling done before the snow flies I'll be happy.
Another question - the building supply sold me 1 1/2" galvanized nails for
the shingling, but I'd like to avoid all that hammer work. Is there a type
of air-powered nailer and fastener I can use. I'd rent an ashphalt shingle
nailer, but everything I've read says shingles (shakes) are easily split,
and I think an ordinary asphalt-type shingle nail might split the shake.

Dave

"dondone" wrote in message
The 1x slats,w appropriate gaps but w/o solid sheathing, are commonally
used in wet climates like the Pacific northwest of the US. This lets air
circulate better in and around wood shakes & shinges to promote quicker
drying for longer life. Keeping them damp promotes mildew growth. Here
in the US southwest, wood shakes (we don't see many wood shingles) are
applied directly over sheathing like your OSB since moisture is not a
problem.

"ezalpha" wrote in message
.. .
Can I install cedar shingles directly on the 7/16" OSB plywood sheathing
on

PDQ

"ezalpha" wrote in message =
.. .
| Thanks. I bought the 1 x3 and was going to strap it. Then I read =
where=20
| it's best to sheath about 2' around the perimeter of the roof surface =
and=20
| strap inside that. One said use tarpaper and another said don't use=20
| tarpaper because it can trap moisture on the underside. In the end, =
I=20
| sheathed the whole thing. The main determinant for me is that it's =
getting=20
| cold. I finished the sheathing today, but it's only about 38 degrees. =
If I=20
| can just get the shingling done before the snow flies I'll be happy.=20
| Another question - the building supply sold me 1 1/2" galvanized nails =
for=20
| the shingling, but I'd like to avoid all that hammer work. Is there a =
type=20
| of air-powered nailer and fastener I can use. I'd rent an ashphalt =
shingle=20
| nailer, but everything I've read says shingles (shakes) are easily =
split,=20
| and I think an ordinary asphalt-type shingle nail might split the =
shake.
|=20
| Dave
|=20
Strapping is a good thing as it helps keep the shingles dry.

An air nailer can do the job if you get the air pressure low enough.
I mannaged to put 1 1/4 inch brads into 1/4 inch plywood without going =
past the finish layer by setting the gun pressure to 50 psi instead of =
my usual 90 psi. At 90 the brads went clear through to the substrata. =
Just waste a few nails in a test shingle.

Shingle nails are usually blunt ended so they punch through the shingle =
rather than part it. The latter action can cause a shingle to split.

--=20

PDQ
--
=20
|=20
| "dondone" wrote in message=20
| The 1x slats,w appropriate gaps but w/o solid sheathing, are =
commonally=20
| used in wet climates like the Pacific northwest of the US. This =
lets air=20
| circulate better in and around wood shakes & shinges to promote =
quicker=20
| drying for longer life. Keeping them damp promotes mildew growth. =
Here=20
| in the US southwest, wood shakes (we don't see many wood shingles) =
are=20
| applied directly over sheathing like your OSB since moisture is not =
a=20
| problem.
|
| "ezalpha" wrote in message=20
| .. .
| Can I install cedar shingles directly on the 7/16" OSB plywood =
sheathing=20
| on
|
| =20
|=20

ezalpha

Thanks PDQ ref the brad nailer. If I understand it my normal 1 1/4 " brads
( I think 16 ga but maybe they're 18) is what you're
suggesting? Brads look like they're made of aluminum, so they wouldn't
rust. I'm not too worried about condensation or mould. This is just a
backyard shed I've built and it won't have any plumbing (but I am starting
to think about insulation and maybe an electric baseboard heater. One of my
aims is to move my table saw and jointer activity out of the basement (for
dust reasons). Another was to move out all the lawn and garden stuff that
makes parking the cars in the garage a challenge. Now I'm starting to think
10 x 14 maybe should have been bigger. Anyhow, I'll take up your suggestion
of the brad nailer and fire a few test shots. I wasn't sure this group was
appropriate for construction-type questions, but I couldn't find any others
so I appreciate the pointers. Thanks
"PDQ" wrote in message
.. .

"ezalpha" wrote in message
.. .
| Thanks. I bought the 1 x3 and was going to strap it. Then I read where
| it's best to sheath about 2' around the perimeter of the roof surface and
| strap inside that. One said use tarpaper and another said don't use
| tarpaper because it can trap moisture on the underside. In the end, I
| sheathed the whole thing. The main determinant for me is that it's
getting
| cold. I finished the sheathing today, but it's only about 38 degrees. If
| can just get the shingling done before the snow flies I'll be happy.
| Another question - the building supply sold me 1 1/2" galvanized nails for
| the shingling, but I'd like to avoid all that hammer work. Is there a type
| of air-powered nailer and fastener I can use. I'd rent an ashphalt
shingle
| nailer, but everything I've read says shingles (shakes) are easily split,
| and I think an ordinary asphalt-type shingle nail might split the shake.
|
| Dave

Strapping is a good thing as it helps keep the shingles dry.

An air nailer can do the job if you get the air pressure low enough.
I mannaged to put 1 1/4 inch brads into 1/4 inch plywood without going past
the finish layer by setting the gun pressure to 50 psi instead of my usual
90 psi. At 90 the brads went clear through to the substrata. Just waste a
few nails in a test shingle.

Shingle nails are usually blunt ended so they punch through the shingle
rather than part it. The latter action can cause a shingle to split.

--

PDQ
--

| "dondone" wrote in message
| The 1x slats,w appropriate gaps but w/o solid sheathing, are commonally
| used in wet climates like the Pacific northwest of the US. This lets
air
| circulate better in and around wood shakes & shinges to promote quicker
| drying for longer life. Keeping them damp promotes mildew growth. Here
| in the US southwest, wood shakes (we don't see many wood shingles) are
| applied directly over sheathing like your OSB since moisture is not a
| problem.
|
| "ezalpha" wrote in message
| .. .
| Can I install cedar shingles directly on the 7/16" OSB plywood
sheathing
| on

PDQ

Sorry to mis-advise. I did not mean for you to use a brad nailer. It =
was only for an example of what can be done.

For your shingles, use a proper nail gun and shingle nails. P-C has =
them in coils. In any event, be sure to turn down the air pressure at =
the gun as 90 psi will blow right through the shingles.

I can appreciate your saw removal. I got mine into the basement in =
pieces. Now I hesitate to take them apart to get them out.

To rip an 8 foot board you need 8 feet before and after the saw. To =
cross-cut you need the same on the sides. Makes for 16X16 and 20X20 =
would be best. No matter how big the shed, the table saw goes in the =
middle and all the other stuff goes along the walls.

If you put the saw on wheels, you can manage in a 10X14 as long as you =
get the saw outside before firing it up and use the shed as an outfeed =
location for ripping.

--=20

PDQ
--
=20
"ezalpha" wrote in message =
.. .
| Thanks PDQ ref the brad nailer. If I understand it my normal 1 1/4 " =
brads=20
| ( I think 16 ga but maybe they're 18) is what you're
| suggesting? Brads look like they're made of aluminum, so they =
wouldn't=20
| rust. I'm not too worried about condensation or mould. This is just a
| backyard shed I've built and it won't have any plumbing (but I am =
starting=20
| to think about insulation and maybe an electric baseboard heater. One =
of my
| aims is to move my table saw and jointer activity out of the basement =
(for=20
| dust reasons). Another was to move out all the lawn and garden stuff =
that
| makes parking the cars in the garage a challenge. Now I'm starting to =
think=20
| 10 x 14 maybe should have been bigger. Anyhow, I'll take up your =
suggestion
| of the brad nailer and fire a few test shots. I wasn't sure this =
group was=20
| appropriate for construction-type questions, but I couldn't find any =
others
| so I appreciate the pointers. Thanks
| "PDQ" wrote in message=20
| .. .
|=20
| "ezalpha" wrote in message=20
| .. .
| | Thanks. I bought the 1 x3 and was going to strap it. Then I read =
where
| | it's best to sheath about 2' around the perimeter of the roof =
surface and
| | strap inside that. One said use tarpaper and another said don't use
| | tarpaper because it can trap moisture on the underside. In the =
end, I
| | sheathed the whole thing. The main determinant for me is that it's=20
| getting
| | cold. I finished the sheathing today, but it's only about 38 =
degrees. If=20
| | can just get the shingling done before the snow flies I'll be happy.
| | Another question - the building supply sold me 1 1/2" galvanized =
nails for
| | the shingling, but I'd like to avoid all that hammer work. Is there =
a type
| | of air-powered nailer and fastener I can use. I'd rent an ashphalt=20
| shingle
| | nailer, but everything I've read says shingles (shakes) are easily =
split,
| | and I think an ordinary asphalt-type shingle nail might split the =
shake.
| |
| | Dave
| |
| Strapping is a good thing as it helps keep the shingles dry.
|=20
| An air nailer can do the job if you get the air pressure low enough.
| I mannaged to put 1 1/4 inch brads into 1/4 inch plywood without going =
past=20
| the finish layer by setting the gun pressure to 50 psi instead of my =
usual=20
| 90 psi. At 90 the brads went clear through to the substrata. Just =
waste a=20
| few nails in a test shingle.
|=20
| Shingle nails are usually blunt ended so they punch through the =
shingle=20
| rather than part it. The latter action can cause a shingle to split.
|=20
| --=20
|=20
| PDQ
| --
|=20
| |
| | "dondone" wrote in message
| | The 1x slats,w appropriate gaps but w/o solid sheathing, are =
commonally
| | used in wet climates like the Pacific northwest of the US. This =
lets=20
| air
| | circulate better in and around wood shakes & shinges to promote =
quicker
| | drying for longer life. Keeping them damp promotes mildew growth. =
Here
| | in the US southwest, wood shakes (we don't see many wood shingles) =
are
| | applied directly over sheathing like your OSB since moisture is =
not a
| | problem.
| |
| | "ezalpha" wrote in message
| | .. .
| | Can I install cedar shingles directly on the 7/16" OSB plywood=20
| sheathing
| | on
| |
| |
| |
| |=20
|=20

dondone

The old pro's tell you that you should hand nail wood shingles and shakes so
as to get just the right set: not enough to dent the shingle, but enough to
just hold the shingle firm. I think that a roofing nail is not the answer
since they are too large in diameter. I would think a regular nail, about
6d and galvanized would do fine. That is what was used for my 20 year-old
shakes that I removed before re-shaking. In spite of that, around here
(Phoenix) and in Seattle the roofers use staples applied with an air powered
stapler to install shakes. Not sure what they use for wood shingles.

.. .

"dondone" wrote in message
The 1x slats,w appropriate gaps but w/o solid sheathing, are commonally
used in wet climates like the Pacific northwest of the US. This lets air
circulate better in and around wood shakes & shinges to promote quicker
drying for longer life. Keeping them damp promotes mildew growth. Here
in the US southwest, wood shakes (we don't see many wood shingles) are
applied directly over sheathing like your OSB since moisture is not a
problem.

"ezalpha" wrote in message
.. .
Can I install cedar shingles directly on the 7/16" OSB plywood sheathing
on

Tom

someone wrote: In spite of that, around here
(Phoenix) and in Seattle the roofers use staples applied with an air powered
stapler to install shakes. Not sure what they use for wood shingles.

We use the same set-up, shorter shanked staples with a 1/2 inch crown. On
walls, mansards and the like, stainless fasteners are preferred. You'll not get
dark oxide stains that way. There's a nifty mesh underlayment made to install
under cedar, allowing ventilation when they're installed over ply. Tom
Work at your leisure!

Slowhand

"ezalpha" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks. I bought the 1 x3 and was going to strap it. Then I read where
it's best to sheath about 2' around the perimeter of the roof surface and
strap inside that. One said use tarpaper and another said don't use
tarpaper because it can trap moisture on the underside.

I live on the north oregon coast and use tar paper. Have for 20 years. I
think we are the moisture capital of the world g.

Is there a type of air-powered nailer and fastener I can use.

We use narrow crown air staplers. Because of our close proximity to the
ocean, we use 1 1/2"stainless. Spendy buggers! I don't know if you get
much wind in your area but if you do, stay away from brads of any sort. A
good windstorm will find you gathering up kindling from your yard. Ask me
how I know this. lol. If you do choose to hand nail it, I would reccomend
a 5 penny shingle nail. Just ask for them at your local building center.
Happy shingling!
SH

ezalpha

Further to my roofing effort. I'm not trolling, just a duffer. The shingles
I bought are No2 sawn shakes. Now that I'm ready to start the actual
shingling, I notice the bundle has mostly wide shakes. My question: Do you
have to lay out the shingles according to width, or just start installing.
The bundle has wide shakes almost exclusively, on the top couple of layers
at least. I realize there comes a point where (approaching a gable end for
example) you have to split a shake to make it fit. What I'm not sure is
whether you would also split a shake in the center of a course for no other
reason than to break up a pattern of all wide shakes, except for a skinny
one on the end. Hope this makes sense.
BTW really happy with my new Bostich stick framing nailer. Did manage to
shoot myself in the pointing finger this weekend though. No real damage,
just a painful lesson. Leaked all over the nifty framing gloves that came
with it. None the less, I having fun. Wife doesn't appreciate quality
work. She just thinks I'm slow.

EA

"ezalpha" wrote in message
.. .
Can I install cedar shingles directly on the 7/16" OSB plywood sheathing
on the backyard shed I built. Rafters are 16 .o.c. Or do I have to strap
with 1 x 3" and attach the shingles to the strapping?
Dave

Nova

ezalpha wrote:

Further to my roofing effort. I'm not trolling, just a duffer. The shingles
I bought are No2 sawn shakes. Now that I'm ready to start the actual
shingling, I notice the bundle has mostly wide shakes. My question: Do you
have to lay out the shingles according to width, or just start installing.
The bundle has wide shakes almost exclusively, on the top couple of layers
at least. I realize there comes a point where (approaching a gable end for
example) you have to split a shake to make it fit. What I'm not sure is
whether you would also split a shake in the center of a course for no other
reason than to break up a pattern of all wide shakes, except for a skinny
one on the end. Hope this makes sense.

You want to use a width shingle so that the butt seam of the next shingle will
be offset from that in the previous row.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA