Nova

ezalpha wrote:

Further to my roofing effort. I'm not trolling, just a duffer. The shingles
I bought are No2 sawn shakes. Now that I'm ready to start the actual
shingling, I notice the bundle has mostly wide shakes. My question: Do you
have to lay out the shingles according to width, or just start installing.
The bundle has wide shakes almost exclusively, on the top couple of layers
at least. I realize there comes a point where (approaching a gable end for
example) you have to split a shake to make it fit. What I'm not sure is
whether you would also split a shake in the center of a course for no other
reason than to break up a pattern of all wide shakes, except for a skinny
one on the end. Hope this makes sense.

You want to use a width shingle so that the butt seam of the next shingle will
be offset from that in the previous row.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA