ezalpha

Further to my roofing effort. I'm not trolling, just a duffer. The shingles
I bought are No2 sawn shakes. Now that I'm ready to start the actual
shingling, I notice the bundle has mostly wide shakes. My question: Do you
have to lay out the shingles according to width, or just start installing.
The bundle has wide shakes almost exclusively, on the top couple of layers
at least. I realize there comes a point where (approaching a gable end for
example) you have to split a shake to make it fit. What I'm not sure is
whether you would also split a shake in the center of a course for no other
reason than to break up a pattern of all wide shakes, except for a skinny
one on the end. Hope this makes sense.
BTW really happy with my new Bostich stick framing nailer. Did manage to
shoot myself in the pointing finger this weekend though. No real damage,
just a painful lesson. Leaked all over the nifty framing gloves that came
with it. None the less, I having fun. Wife doesn't appreciate quality
work. She just thinks I'm slow.

EA

"ezalpha" wrote in message
.. .
Can I install cedar shingles directly on the 7/16" OSB plywood sheathing
on the backyard shed I built. Rafters are 16 .o.c. Or do I have to strap
with 1 x 3" and attach the shingles to the strapping?
Dave