Rob

Default G0555 Bansaw coming...recommendations?

Hey gang,
I will be receiving the new Grizz saw soon. I would like to get it
setup with a couple nice Twolf blades. Any recommendations for a good
all-around blade and one for resawing? I am a total bandsaw noob so I
don't know what to look for yet. Does Woodcraft or Rockler carry TWolf
blades, and if not, where is a good place online to get them? Thanks
for any recommendations. From all I've read, I should be very happy
with the saw for the price.

Thanks!
Rob
SwampBug

Phone the Suffolk Machinery people directly and tell them what you want =
to do, they will recommend the proper blade/s. Use them then alter, if =
needed, to personal taste. I have had great satisfaction with the three =
blades they recommended, altho just light stuff so far.

--=20
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Rob" wrote in message =
m...
Hey gang,
I will be receiving the new Grizz saw soon. I would like to get it
setup with a couple nice Twolf blades. Any recommendations for a good
all-around blade and one for resawing? I am a total bandsaw noob so I
don't know what to look for yet. Does Woodcraft or Rockler carry TWolf
blades, and if not, where is a good place online to get them? Thanks
for any recommendations. From all I've read, I should be very happy
with the saw for the price.

Thanks!
Rob
jo4hn

Rob wrote:

Hey gang,
I will be receiving the new Grizz saw soon. I would like to get it
setup with a couple nice Twolf blades. Any recommendations for a good
all-around blade and one for resawing? I am a total bandsaw noob so I
don't know what to look for yet. Does Woodcraft or Rockler carry TWolf
blades, and if not, where is a good place online to get them? Thanks
for any recommendations. From all I've read, I should be very happy
with the saw for the price.

Thanks!
Rob

Call Suffolk for direct to you Twolfs at (800) 234-7297. Tell them your
requirments and they do a pretty good job of recommending the proper blade.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Knothead

I'd also DAGS for Highland harware and look into Woodslicer bands as well.

mnterpfan

I bought some from Lee Valley. They go under the brand Viking or some
other MN sports team. I'm pretty sure its not the Twins or Gophers.

Eric

Ace wrote:
Check out Lee Valley they carry twolf's.

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

(Rob) writes:

Hey gang,
I will be receiving the new Grizz saw soon. I would like to get it
setup with a couple nice Twolf blades. Any recommendations for a good
all-around blade and one for resawing? I am a total bandsaw noob so I
don't know what to look for yet. Does Woodcraft or Rockler carry TWolf
blades,

There is an issue with the name, and who is allowed to use it.
I think Woodcraft has them but they are called "PS WOOD"

Also - get the Duginski book on bandsaws, and the free Iturra catalog.
You have to call Iturra, but the catalog is awesome! It's a How-to book!

Iturra Design
4636 Fulton Rd
Jacksonville, FL 32225
1-888-722-7078

Rob

Thanks for all the great info fellas!

(Nate Perkins) wrote in message . com...
(Rob) wrote in message om...
Hey gang,
I will be receiving the new Grizz saw soon. I would like to get it
setup with a couple nice Twolf blades. Any recommendations for a good
all-around blade and one for resawing? I am a total bandsaw noob so I
don't know what to look for yet. Does Woodcraft or Rockler carry TWolf
blades, and if not, where is a good place online to get them? Thanks
for any recommendations. From all I've read, I should be very happy
with the saw for the price.

Thanks!
Rob

Hi Rob,

I have the same saw. I like it fine.

A good all-around blade is something along the lines of 3/8" with
about 4 tpi. That blade will work fine for most curve cutting and
will do a reasonable job of resawing. I used to go to a wider (1/2"
3tpi) blade for resawing; now I don't think it's worth the bother of
the blade change. A thinner blade works fine for me resawing veneer
down to 1/16".

The tuning on the bandsaw is really more important than the blade you
use. Make sure your roller guides and thrust bearing are set right,
make sure the blade is centered on the rubber crown on the top wheel,
and set the blade tension using the flutter method -- all as described
in the manual.

I've mostly used Timberwolf blades (from
www.suffolkmachinery.com).
The guys there are very helpful; just tell them that you're just
starting out and they'll give you recommendations. I've also used
Olson blades (cheap and pretty good).

Cheers,
Nate

dcc

Take a look at the Fine Wood Working article in the Dec 04 magazine if
you want a good article on resawing. The authour uses a 1/2" 3tpi
carbon steel blade that is under tentioned. He says that you don't
even need a high powered bandsaw. I have a grizzly g0555 14" bandsaw.
I tried to resaw with the blade that I had on the machine. It was an
old timberwolf. It was tough going(the blade was old and I'm not
experienced with bandsaws). I followed his instructions to a tee. I
bought two blades form BC Saw ans Tool in Canada (His suggestion). I
made some cuts on 5" red oak, 5" white oak and Poplar and it was
beautiful. Get the latest FWW. It's great...It's so easy!

During an exchange of E-mails several years ago Art Gschwind (SP?) of
Suffolk said "I let PS sell our blades at shows".

On 24 Nov 2004 01:38:26 GMT, Bruce Barnett
wrote:

Walt Novinger writes:

Woodcraft DO carry Timberwolf blades, by that name. See me at the Raleigh,
NC store and I'll help you get the right one.

Nah. I'm staying home for Thanksgiving. :-)

The one in Latham NY have blades that are labled:

PS WOOD - From the Creators of Timberwolf

What does the blades say in your store?
I'm trying to see if this is a store decision, or a company decision.
AFAIK, these are Timberwolf, but without the lable.

Al Reid

"jo4hn" wrote in message ink.net...
Walt Novinger wrote:
Bruce Barnett wrote:

(Rob) writes:

[...]

Walt

Why not go direct to Suffolk at http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/ . Are
they not the manufacturer?
j4

I don't think that they are. It is my understanding that Suffolk and PS Wood and a few others buy the same bulk Silicon Steel blade
stock from the same Swedish manufacturer. They, in turn, cut to size, weld, package and sell and market the finished, sized blades.

--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
If I don't know where I'm going?

patriarch

"Al Reid" wrote in
:

Why not go direct to Suffolk at http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/ .
Are they not the manufacturer?
j4

I don't think that they are. It is my understanding that Suffolk and
PS Wood and a few others buy the same bulk Silicon Steel blade stock
from the same Swedish manufacturer. They, in turn, cut to size, weld,
package and sell and market the finished, sized blades.

Quite frequently, your local sharpening service will do the same for you.
With mine, I get the personal service, no shipping delay and a pretty good
price.

Patriarch