Konstantin

Default Linoleum fabrication process

Hi.
I am interested in experimenting with making linoleum and was digging
on the internet about how actualy make linoleum, but did not found any
step by step procedures, only ingredients (linseed oil, cork , pine
resin and fluor, etc.) and general info. I want to experiment with
linoleum on wood, some crazy ideas I want to try on. So has anyone
seen the linoleum recepy around? I guess the linoleum patent must have
the specifics about the elaboration process but is that info of public
domain?

Konstantin.
Charlie Self

Konstantin asks:

So has anyone
seen the linoleum recepy around? I guess the linoleum patent must have
the specifics about the elaboration process but is that info of public
domain?

I wouldn't worry about patents, except maybe to locate the patent file at the
Patent Office and copy any listed ingredients. I very much doubt you'll find
step-by-steps, though. This is an old process for a material that is so many
years out of date.

The Flax Council offers the following: "Linoleum was invented in England in
1863 by Frederick Walton who coined the name linoleum from the Latin name,
linum, which means flax, and oleum, which means oil. Later in the century,
Michael Nairn, a flooring manufacturer in Kirkcaldy, Scotland perfected the
flooring, introducing qualities such as inlaid patterning €” a feature seen
today.

Linoleum is a flooring that is manufactured by oxidizing linseed oil to form a
thick mixture called linoleum cement. The cement is cooled and mixed with pine
resin, and wood flour to form sheets on a jute backing. The term, linoleum is
often used incorrectly to describe any sheet flooring, when in fact flooring
can be made from other materials such as polyvinyl chloride."
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would
promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self

Larry Jaques responds:

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would
promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Finally, a valid use has been found for politicians!

And missionaries.

Charlie Self
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
nothing."
Redd Foxx
Mark Jerde

Larry Jaques wrote:

* OPERA: A Latin word
* meaning
* "death by music"

Sorry if this has been asked before. Where do you come up with these? They
nearly always make me chuckle.

-- Mark

Robert Bonomi

In article Elymd.10383$pP5.7716@trnddc05,
Mark Jerde wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

* OPERA: A Latin word
* meaning
* "death by music"

Sorry if this has been asked before. Where do you come up with these? They
nearly always make me chuckle.

Ah, all it takes is a good classical education. e.g. ---

------------------------------------
* EUREKA: Classical Greek word
* meaning
* "Damn, that bathwater is HOT!"
------------------------------------

Konstantin

I want to make some sorf of a very customized finish of exotic hard
woods, like phernambuco and ebony. And I want to go through the
linoleum manufacturing process and see where can I alter it to suit my
particular needs.
I tried googling the about linoleum but haven yet found the "process"
only general infos and some manufacturers.
Linoleum has many caracteristics that I find useful for the purpose of
finish instead of contemporaneous lacker/polishing techniques.

If anyone digs up the original linoleum patent number, please let me
know.
Konstantin.
Andy Dingley

On 17 Nov 2004 16:35:45 -0800, (Konstantin)
wrote:

I want to make some sorf of a very customized finish of exotic hard
woods, like phernambuco and ebony.

OK, now you've confused me.

And I want to go through the
linoleum manufacturing process and see where can I alter it to suit my
particular needs.

One thing you'l need to alter is the drier used. The original recipe
almost certainly used a lead drier (commonplace for linseed oil in its
day) and this is now forbidden. Sadly lead-dried linseed has a
particular surface texture that can't be reproduced by other driers.

I tried googling the about linoleum but haven yet found the "process"
only general infos and some manufacturers.

You take linseed oil, cook it once with a metallic drier, mix it with
the filler materials (which you will probably vary), apply it to the
backing hessian (which you aren't using), then heat it again.

Most of this is oil-curing chemistry, which is described in several
sources. Bill Knight's pamphlet "Staining and Finishing for
Muzzleloading Gun Builders" is one of the most convenient for
woodworkers, "The Modern Gunsmith" (1930s) and Leighou (1942) are
others. I think oil basics will help you, but the specifics for
linoleum aren;t near enough to what you're trying to achieve.

Linoleum has many caracteristics that I find useful for the purpose of
finish instead of contemporaneous lacker/polishing techniques.

Like what ? Do you want linoleum, or just the surface of a cured
linseed ?

--
Smert' spamionam
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:05:24 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

* OPERA: A Latin word
* meaning
* "death by music"

Sorry if this has been asked before. Where do you come up with these? They
nearly always make me chuckle.

I come up with a few of my own, but most are gleaned from my earlier
visits on BBSes, reading other newsgroups, email sigs, etc.

Speaking of BBSes, does anyone have one of the original texts of
the trials and tribulations of "Murray".

Here's one from 1998:
--snip--

A Captain's Tale

Long ago lived a seaman named Captain Bravo. He was a
manly-man who showed no fear in facing his enemies.

One day, while sailing the seven seas, a look-out spotted a
pirate ship and the crew became frantic. Captain Bravo bellowed
"Bring me my Red Shirt." The First Mate quickly retrieved the
captain's red shirt and whilst wearing the bright frock the
captain led his mates into battle and defeated the pirates.

Later on, the look-out again spotted not one, but two pirate
ships. The captain again howled for his red shirt and once
again vanquished the pirates.

That evening, all the men sat around on the deck recounting
the day's triumphs and one of the them asked the captain: "Sir,
why did you call for your red shirt before battle?" The captain
replied "If I am wounded in the attack, the shirt will not show
the wound and thus, you men will continue to resist, unafraid."

All of the men sat in silence and marveled at the courage of
such a manly man.

As dawn came the next morning, the look-out once again spotted
not one, not two, but TEN pirates ships approaching. The rank
and file all stared at the captain and waited for his
usual reply.

Captain Bravo calmly shouted: "Get me my brown pants."
--snip--

* OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design
* meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos
* "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com

Konstantin

Linoleum has many caracteristics that I find useful for the purpose of
finish instead of contemporaneous lacker/polishing techniques.

Like what ? Do you want linoleum, or just the surface of a cured
linseed ?

I guess you got me right. Not exactly linoleum but cured linseed oil.
Checking up on oil-curing chemistry will be interesting.

Konstantin
Mike Dempsey

Actually the plant visited by Norm and Steve in This Old House was in
Kirkcaldy in Fife, Scotland which is only about 5 miles away from me in
Glenrothes. It is Forbo Nairn now but was started by Sir Michael Nairn over
a century ago. The parent company is now Unilever, a Swiss (I think) owned
multi national company who are in the process of running it down and will
probably close it within the year. The lino we got from them a year ago is
crap and so soft it can be punctured quite easily. This is not the true lino
which is hessian backed and is almost bullet proof.
If I remember correctly the true lino consists of woodflour and linseed
which is mixed at temperature and rolled out into sheets like plasticene and
then rolled again when still soft when the hessian sheets are 'bonded' to it
by the heat and the two layers become one. the lino is then hung it large
heated driers till it is dry
and then cut to width and length. These driers occasionally go on fire and
that is why the plant has its own Fire Brigade.
Nearly everyone in this area knows someone who works there and can get lino
at a discount price for them.
As to the patent, I dont know when it was filed but if you contact someone
at Kirkcaly Museum which is part of Fife Council's Community Services I am
sure the Curator could tell you exactly when Nairn's first started or you
could phone the plant direct.
Whether or not you could make you own lino I dont know but good luck anyway

Mike Dempsey