Charlie Self

Konstantin asks:

So has anyone
seen the linoleum recepy around? I guess the linoleum patent must have
the specifics about the elaboration process but is that info of public
domain?

I wouldn't worry about patents, except maybe to locate the patent file at the
Patent Office and copy any listed ingredients. I very much doubt you'll find
step-by-steps, though. This is an old process for a material that is so many
years out of date.

The Flax Council offers the following: "Linoleum was invented in England in
1863 by Frederick Walton who coined the name linoleum from the Latin name,
linum, which means flax, and oleum, which means oil. Later in the century,
Michael Nairn, a flooring manufacturer in Kirkcaldy, Scotland perfected the
flooring, introducing qualities such as inlaid patterning €” a feature seen
today.

Linoleum is a flooring that is manufactured by oxidizing linseed oil to form a
thick mixture called linoleum cement. The cement is cooled and mixed with pine
resin, and wood flour to form sheets on a jute backing. The term, linoleum is
often used incorrectly to describe any sheet flooring, when in fact flooring
can be made from other materials such as polyvinyl chloride."
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would
promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken