Mike Dempsey

Actually the plant visited by Norm and Steve in This Old House was in
Kirkcaldy in Fife, Scotland which is only about 5 miles away from me in
Glenrothes. It is Forbo Nairn now but was started by Sir Michael Nairn over
a century ago. The parent company is now Unilever, a Swiss (I think) owned
multi national company who are in the process of running it down and will
probably close it within the year. The lino we got from them a year ago is
crap and so soft it can be punctured quite easily. This is not the true lino
which is hessian backed and is almost bullet proof.
If I remember correctly the true lino consists of woodflour and linseed
which is mixed at temperature and rolled out into sheets like plasticene and
then rolled again when still soft when the hessian sheets are 'bonded' to it
by the heat and the two layers become one. the lino is then hung it large
heated driers till it is dry
and then cut to width and length. These driers occasionally go on fire and
that is why the plant has its own Fire Brigade.
Nearly everyone in this area knows someone who works there and can get lino
at a discount price for them.
As to the patent, I dont know when it was filed but if you contact someone
at Kirkcaly Museum which is part of Fife Council's Community Services I am
sure the Curator could tell you exactly when Nairn's first started or you
could phone the plant direct.
Whether or not you could make you own lino I dont know but good luck anyway

Mike Dempsey