noOne

Default Rikon Band Saw

I'm new to this community and I know this is a tired topic, but I can't
seem to find anything on the Rikon 18" 2HP Steel Frame saw as seen on
Woodcraft's web site. I am in desperate need of a good (not great, not
mediocre) saw for 12" capacity resawing. This will be my primary use
for the band saw as it currently stands. Is there anybody out there
that has either purchased the Rikon or researched it and would be
willing to share your comments? The only other option I can see are
the Grizzly G0555 w/ riser block. If there are other sub $1000 saws or
a good place to find a used saw quickly, I'd love to hear about that as
well. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
When asked "Who's happier than you?",
you respond "No One"

Tom

"No One" wrote:I'm new to this community and I know this is a tired topic, but
I can't
seem to find anything on the Rikon 18" 2HP Steel Frame saw as seen on
Woodcraft's web site. I am in desperate need of a good (not great, not
mediocre) saw for 12" capacity resawing. This will be my primary use
for the band saw as it currently stands. Is there anybody out there
that has either purchased the Rikon or researched it and would be
willing to share your comments? The only other option I can see are
the Grizzly G0555 w/ riser block. If there are other sub $1000 saws or
a good place to find a used saw quickly, I'd love to hear about that as
well. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

It rated "best value", or something like that in a recent edition of Fine
Woodworking magazine. Just a minute, I'll find the #. Sorry, can't find it
right now, but I'm betting it's the May '04 issue. Unless it's April's. Tom
Work at your leisure!
noOne

Thanks for your reply. I have seen that mentioned in other posts, but
I haven't yet found anything from anyone who has actually used it in
their shop. Even as inexpensive as this is, it's still a major
investment for me. I'd also love some other options. The best thing
going for the Rikon is that I can get it locally at Woodcraft
(unconfirmed). Again, thanks for the response.

noOne

Thanks for your quick reply. I have seen several other posts make
reference to this review. I was hoping someone had actually used one
and could offer some personal advice. The best things the Rikon has
going for it is the price tag and the fact that I can get it locally at
Woodcraft (unconfirmed). I'm not set on this saw and would welcome any
other candidates. Thanks again for your response.

Tom

noOne wrote:I haven't yet found anything from anyone who has actually used it
in
their shop.

May/June #170 FWW. And the tester really used the saw. If only my Woodcraft had
one, it'd probably be in my little shop by now. Tom
Work at your leisure!

Bob

"noOne" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for your quick reply. I have seen several other posts make
reference to this review. I was hoping someone had actually used one
and could offer some personal advice. The best things the Rikon has
going for it is the price tag and the fact that I can get it locally at
Woodcraft (unconfirmed). I'm not set on this saw and would welcome any
other candidates. Thanks again for your response.

Are you sure its going to be $1000? That's the website price, but they
clearly state you have to pay shipping separately.

I wondered why you picked the Grizzley model with the risers. Its pretty
feeble for 12" resaw (1 hp motor).

If you're reallying going to be doing a lot of big thick resawing, I think
your budget is a little low.

Bob

noOne

I can appreciate that it is low, but budgets aren't set by the
idealist. If I could buy the LT16HD that I want, I wouldn't exactly be
working in the constraints of a budget at all, just buying the tool I
want. The reason for the grizzly is that is the only other alternative
I have found for my price range. I don't plan on buying the Rikon off
the website. I'm hoping they carry it in store at this point.
Obviously this situation isn't ideal, but I gotta play the cards I'm
dealt.

Harry Mangalam

noOne wrote:

I can appreciate that it is low, but budgets aren't set by the
idealist. If I could buy the LT16HD that I want, I wouldn't exactly be
working in the constraints of a budget at all, just buying the tool I
want. The reason for the grizzly is that is the only other alternative
I have found for my price range. I don't plan on buying the Rikon off
the website. I'm hoping they carry it in store at this point.
Obviously this situation isn't ideal, but I gotta play the cards I'm
dealt.

Amazon has a good collection of reviews of the Grizzly G055 (including
mine)."

Dunno about the Rikon, but the upshot is that for the price, you can't beat
the Grizzly. I do have some further quibbles (the lower blade guide
(supposedly sealed) bearings filled up with dust and had to be replaced
already. However they are they are cheap and the same size as rollerblade
bearings, so I have a large stock of them from that source.
Be happy to answer further questions about the Grizzly if you have them.

Harry

Bob

"noOne" wrote in message
oups.com...
I can appreciate that it is low, but budgets aren't set by the
idealist. If I could buy the LT16HD that I want, I wouldn't exactly be
working in the constraints of a budget at all, just buying the tool I
want. The reason for the grizzly is that is the only other alternative
I have found for my price range. I don't plan on buying the Rikon off
the website. I'm hoping they carry it in store at this point.
Obviously this situation isn't ideal, but I gotta play the cards I'm
dealt.

Grizzley has quite a few more models to choose from that may match your
criteria much better in your budget.

Their model G0513 claims 2 hp, 12" resaw capacity. $750 + $78 shipping. I
don't know how it performs - just letting you know there are some more
choices.

Bob

Rikon Tools Brian Woodworking 0 July 27th 04 02:05 AM
Rikon 18" Bandsaw Mortimer Schnerd, RN Woodworking 12 July 24th 04 07:42 AM
Rikon Tools Tim Schubach Woodworking 1 February 18th 04 10:00 PM
Rikon Jointer/Planer Carl McCarty Woodworking 3 January 4th 04 06:36 PM