Carlos Moreno

Default Finishing (oil, wax, etc.) -- when exactly?

Hi there,

I'm near the end of my very first woodworking project
of considerable magnitude -- a Mahogany bed, 2m x 2m
(yes, 80 inches by 80 inches -- it's been *a lot* of
work and *a lot* of fun).

I'm planning to give it a very simple finishing;
something matte that keeps the natural look of this
beautiful wood.

My question: is the finishing oil/wax/whatever applied
after the whole thing is assembled? Or should I apply
the finishing to the pieces before assembling? (I tend
to think that the latter makes sense but it would be too
complicated).

I'll be most grateful for any advice you may offer!

Thanks,

Carlos
philski

--

Either works just fine. If you are using a stain, keeping each piece
near the same color/hue, you will want to pay close attention to how

Philski
RonB

But as far as oil, such as
tung oil or Danish oil, you can apply it either before assembly or after.

I would add: If you have not used one of these oil finishes, pay attention
to the directions on the can. It is very important to wipe excess oil off
20 - 30 minutes after each coat. If you allow tacky oil to build it will
take a LONG time to dry. This seems especially true with Danish. Also,
sand lightly after the first couple of coats and after each coat thereafter
(220-400 grit).

Other than that oil is a pretty forgiving product the provides a nice
finish.