Curtis

Default Plunge router base for Craftsman

I have a standard 2HP Craftsman router and I'd like to use it to cut
mortises with. I really don't want to go buy a 2nd router for this. Is
there anyone who makes a kit to adapt a standard router for use as a plunge
router? I've searched sears.com, but haven't bee able to find anything.

Brad Bruce

Curtis wrote:
I have a standard 2HP Craftsman router and I'd like to use it to cut
mortises with. I really don't want to go buy a 2nd router for this. Is
there anyone who makes a kit to adapt a standard router for use as a plunge
router? I've searched sears.com, but haven't bee able to find anything.

How deep are you cutting? Is this for hinges etc or for Mortise and
Tenon joinery?

Brad
Curtis

Mortise and Tenon Joinery... For hinges, I don't think I'd need a plunge
router since I can just come in from the side. I was thinking that even for
the deeper mortises, I could just set the router on edge and then "rock" it
down to the work area, but I'm assuming if I tried it, I'd learn why people
don't do it! :-)

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
Curtis wrote:
I have a standard 2HP Craftsman router and I'd like to use it to cut
mortises with. I really don't want to go buy a 2nd router for this. Is
there anyone who makes a kit to adapt a standard router for use as a

plunge
router? I've searched sears.com, but haven't bee able to find anything.

How deep are you cutting? Is this for hinges etc or for Mortise and
Tenon joinery?

Brad

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:30:04 GMT, Curtis wrote:
I have a standard 2HP Craftsman router and I'd like to use it to cut
mortises with. I really don't want to go buy a 2nd router for this. Is
there anyone who makes a kit to adapt a standard router for use as a plunge
router? I've searched sears.com, but haven't bee able to find anything.

Do they make a plunge base?

I attempted mortises without one, then ordered the plunge base for my
690 the next day.

The PC 690 kit with dual bases is only $200 . .

wrote:

I have a standard 2HP Craftsman router and I'd like to use it to cut
mortises with. I really don't want to go buy a 2nd router for this. Is
there anyone who makes a kit to adapt a standard router for use as a plunge
router? I've searched sears.com, but haven't bee able to find anything.

you don't need to change anything. just chuck up a bit, position the
router where you want the mortise and turn it on. ARHA will take care
of the plunge action.

Robert Galloway

you don't need to change anything. just chuck up a bit, position the
router where you want the mortise and turn it on. ARHA will take care
of the plunge action.

Arizona Restaurant and Hospitality Association
American Ranch Horse Association
Australian Reproductive Health Alliance
Rolling Thunder

wrote:

I have a standard 2HP Craftsman router and I'd like to use it to cut
mortises with. I really don't want to go buy a 2nd router for this. Is
there anyone who makes a kit to adapt a standard router for use as a plunge
router? I've searched sears.com, but haven't bee able to find anything.

I've a standard Craftsman router and make mortises with a router table
with a fence. I mark on the fence the mortise limits, hold the work
piece against the fence making sure the bit is between my
mortise marks on the fence, and slowly force down the
work piece onto the router bit. Then just move the work piece
between the marks on the fence and corresponding layout
marks on the work piece. You could use a stop in lieu
of one of the marks as well. Just don't go more than
a 1/4 inch depth at a time. It is a lot smoother operation
that way and not as much tear out.

Thunder