Rolling Thunder

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:30:04 GMT, "Curtis"
wrote:

I have a standard 2HP Craftsman router and I'd like to use it to cut
mortises with. I really don't want to go buy a 2nd router for this. Is
there anyone who makes a kit to adapt a standard router for use as a plunge
router? I've searched sears.com, but haven't bee able to find anything.

I've a standard Craftsman router and make mortises with a router table
with a fence. I mark on the fence the mortise limits, hold the work
piece against the fence making sure the bit is between my
mortise marks on the fence, and slowly force down the
work piece onto the router bit. Then just move the work piece
between the marks on the fence and corresponding layout
marks on the work piece. You could use a stop in lieu
of one of the marks as well. Just don't go more than
a 1/4 inch depth at a time. It is a lot smoother operation
that way and not as much tear out.

Thunder