Prometheus

On 24 Oct 2004 07:33:24 -0700, (Never Enough
Money) wrote:

Ouch.

Actually, after all the "professional" feedback, this woodworker will
NOT drop money for the lift. Even if the feedback had been "it's great
you've got to get it" it would probably not have happened -- it's so
low down on the priority lists.

The real question is what kind of woodworker, I'll refrain from the
derogatory term "worddorker", would by a $250,000 router? That seems
high even for a factory floor. Is it for mouldings? Surely it does
more than route.

BTW, I am tired of reaching under my table and repeatedly adjusting
measuring, adjusting-measuring, etc. until I creep in on an accurate
enough setting......

Also question to the whole group, not just UA100: given all the
anti-router lift pro-shaper feedback, I'd say none of you uses a
router lift. I find that difficult to beleive. Surely there's someone
out there willing to 'fess up.

There was a tip sent in from a subscriber in a recent issue of
Woodsmith that suggested using a bar clamp as a router lift, and it
looked pretty useful to me. Maybe you could try that out, and then
you could use the extra money to get a different tool!

Unisaw A100 wrote in message . ..
Never Enough Money wrote:
http://www.jointech.com/
Looks like an advancment to me. Of course it cost almost $500.00,
that's just for the lift, no router included.

Looks like someone(s) lacking basic wooddorking skills will
soon be out five hunnert dollars.

UA100, who to be truthful, has relied on a $250,000 router
(at work of course) from time to time...

Leon

"igor" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:17:50 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Leon -- Thanks for the comments. I am still intrigued by it, especially
the foot pedal because it seems it would make it easier/safer to do
non-full-length operations, among other things. From what you wrote,
seems
that the best chance would be with a smaller router with limited
integrated
adjustment means.

The way the Bit Jack worked on my particular router is that it threaded on
the shaft that had the jam nuts. these nuts could be positioned on the
shaft to limit up and down travel dimilar th those on a drill press. On my
model the threaded shaft on the router was too far from the 2 plunge shafts
to make a nice parallel force of motion. Oddly if I twisted, turned the
jack in another direction the operation was smoother. Unfortunately that
position left the handle in odd position. I never got to the point of using
the foot operated set up.

Also, FWIW, I noted at Amazon some negative comments about the Triton --
though everyone seemed to like the basic design. Apparently qc issues,
but
they were from 18 months ago. Considering some of your posts about how
determined you are to get service if you find a tool lacking - components
failing -- I assume you did not confront these problems with your router.
Again, thanks. -- Igor

Yeah I read all those comments also. That said I contacted the service
guys with Triton prior to making my purchase. The assure me that the would
take care of any problems that might come up. Several of the issues have
been corrected and I have seen none of the problems with the newer models.
That said, mine would shut off during moderate feed rates with shallow cuts.
The switch literally vibrated and shut off. Sooo I contacted Triton and
they admitted to having heard of "1" other instance... Hummm.. They
instructed me to return it to the store that I bought it from 2 months prior
and exchange it for another unit. The new one has been doing fine. Fit and
finish is a bit to be desired but performance and features have been a
delight. Also I bought from Woodcraft. They have a 1 year bring it back if
you are not satisfied policy so the risk was low. I have about 7 months
left to see if any thing else happens but for the last 90 days nothing has
been a problem. It was a toss up between this router and the big Milwaukee.
Feature for feature the Triton took the race.

Never Enough Money

If my boss tells me I "dorked it up" it's a bad thing. Therefore,
wooddorking means, to me, doing bad things to wood. To call one a
wooddorker, therefore, would be to cal them "one who messes up wood.

Merriam-Webster says "dork" is "perhaps an alteration of dick."

Dick has several meanings. One is "fellow or chap", another is
"penis". When used as a verb, it means a mistake made with a penis.
Wooddicker.

Dicker, Dickin',Dickification.

I guess, I still think it's derogatory, only slightly less so than
using it's synonym: dick.

Money) wrote:

derogatory term "worddorker", would by a $250,000 router? That seems

Dorker, dorkin', dorkification - Dork is not derogatory at all.
Kind'a like "Nerd", but not at all like "Geek"...

Leon

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
om...
If my boss tells me I "dorked it up" it's a bad thing. Therefore,
wooddorking means, to me, doing bad things to wood. To call one a
wooddorker, therefore, would be to cal them "one who messes up wood.

Merriam-Webster says "dork" is "perhaps an alteration of dick."

Dick has several meanings. One is "fellow or chap", another is
"penis". When used as a verb, it means a mistake made with a penis.
Wooddicker.

Dicker, Dickin',Dickification.

I guess, I still think it's derogatory, only slightly less so than
using it's synonym: dick.

Yeah I see it your way too but in this news group, it is a lot like You
Suck. If you boss sucks, that is not a good thing, ...... usually not a
good thing.

patrick conroy

"J T" wrote in message
Interesting point of view. Just remember tho, if I were ever to
call you a dork, it will be meant in as degoratory a way as you can ever
imagine. Which is why I refer to trolls as dorks.

OK Joat, noted.
And if I ever call you a "WebTV User"...

Upscale

wrote in message

the thing is, Wooddorking is a term native to the wreck. it was penned
as a typo by one of our regulars some 5 or 6 years ago. I don't
remember _who_ it was, but I remember the post. Here it is a term of
endearment and frankly a badge of honor. you may use it as a
derogatory, and outside of the wreck you'd probably be understood, but
here it would be a misuse of the term.

I have to agree. It depends on the context in which the word is used. Here
in this NG, I've always taken it to simply mean, "one who works with wood".
Whether the project turns out fine or is a pile of junk is irrelevant, it's
just a familial name that one applies to themselves or a fellow woodworker.

Unisaw A100

jo4hn wrote:
Remember dorks spelled backward is skrod. Somethin' fishy here...

Let's see,

Main Entry: skrod
Pronunciation: 'skräd
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
a young fish (as a cod or haddock); especially : one split
and boned for cooking: a bottom feeder

Main Entry: wooddorker
Pronunciation: 'skräd
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
a young fish (as a cod or haddock); especially : one split
and boned for cooking: a bottom feeder

Wow! I'd never even thought to consult Webster (1).

(1) The book-o-definitions, not the cute little black kid.

UA100
Unisaw A100

Bridger J:
the thing is, Wooddorking is a term native to the wreck. it was penned
as a typo by one of our regulars some 5 or 6 years ago. I don't
remember _who_ it was, but I remember the post. Here it is a term of
endearment and frankly a badge of honor. you may use it as a
derogatory, and outside of the wreck you'd probably be understood, but
here it would be a misuse of the term.

If my memory serves me, the hand of O'Deen is/was in there
somewhere in which case there is an honor by association.

UA100
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:55:25 GMT, jo4hn wrote:

Remember dorks spelled backward is skrod. Somethin' fishy here...

Did you ever drive a taxi in Boston ?

(an old A.U.E joke)

Never Enough Money

ok. I'll try not to be insulted. So just in case you're pulling my
leg, I'll still not use it. There may be some other "me" out there
that might take offense.

While we're on the subject of vocabulary unique to rec.woodowrking,
what does "neaderthal" mean? I think it manes those that like hand
tools, but I'm not sure. What's the opposite, i.e. what do you call
those that like power tools?

"Upscale" wrote in message ...
wrote in message

the thing is, Wooddorking is a term native to the wreck. it was penned
as a typo by one of our regulars some 5 or 6 years ago. I don't
remember _who_ it was, but I remember the post. Here it is a term of
endearment and frankly a badge of honor. you may use it as a
derogatory, and outside of the wreck you'd probably be understood, but
here it would be a misuse of the term.

I have to agree. It depends on the context in which the word is used. Here
in this NG, I've always taken it to simply mean, "one who works with wood".
Whether the project turns out fine or is a pile of junk is irrelevant, it's
just a familial name that one applies to themselves or a fellow woodworker.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:31:29 GMT, igor wrote:

What can a shaper not do that a table-mounted router w/ a lift can do?

Give a good finish.

UK practice is that shapers have collets, and the ones with the shaft,
large head and separate knives are called spindle moulders. My shaper
experience has been something of a disappointment, because the edge
speed is too slow for optimum cutting. Spindle moulders use the same
rpm on a much large cutter diameter, so they're OK.

--
Smert' spamionam

An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Router Table Top Questions Max Mahanke Woodworking 1 May 10th 04 07:12 PM
Router Cabinet bowhunter Woodworking 8 February 19th 04 04:22 PM
Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1 Greg G. Woodworking 37 January 8th 04 02:37 AM