Charlie Self

Fred notes:

Supposing Penn or Teller stops you in the street and asks you
to sign a petition to stop dihydrogen oxide. If you 'get it'
you probably also realize that you won't get on TV unless you
play along.

You're probably right, but one question: why would you want to get on TV,
particularly portraying yourself as an idjit?

Two questions. Sorry.

Charlie Self
"When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
hereditary." Thomas Paine
U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:08:15 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:39:04 GMT, "U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" "Charles
wrote:

There are serious petroleum scientists who cite the association of
Helium with petroleum deposits as evidence that Petroleum, unlike coal,
is not a "Fossil Fuel" but has some other geologic source

Scientist singular, not plural.

Fred Hoyle, and he was a Loon.

And thomas gold.

For a discussion of various things petroleum, with citations:

http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/progress/energy.html

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

You're probably right, but one question: why would you want to get on TV,
particularly portraying yourself as an idjit?

Dunno. Ask all the people who signed release forms allowing themselves to
be featured on COPS.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Charlie Self

Silvan notes:

Charlie Self wrote:

You're probably right, but one question: why would you want to get on TV,
particularly portraying yourself as an idjit?

Dunno. Ask all the people who signed release forms allowing themselves to
be featured on COPS.

What's COPS? I haven't watched much more than parts of a ball game and the
news, and occasionally Jeopardy, for nearly 20 years.

Charlie Self
"When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
hereditary." Thomas Paine
Silvan

Ba r r y wrote:

What's COPS? I haven't watched much more than parts of a ball game and the
news, and occasionally Jeopardy, for nearly 20 years.

The original reality show, dating to the late 80's. A camera crew
rides with officers in different cities, on various busts, rescues,
and aid calls.

Nearly every episode features some sweating, shirtless drunk sitting
in his vinyl recliner, which is of course located in a trailer,

And it's relevant to the original point because these people have to give
permission to show their arrest/shame/other humiliation on TV.

"Sir, we have shots of you running out of your trailer with no pants on,
including prominent views of your hair butt crack, right before the cops
whacked you in the head with the billy club and washed the vomit off your
belly with a fire hose before shoving you in the car. Would you please
sign this release so we can feature it on national TV? Thanks."

trying to make sense of the situation. The show's popularity gave
birth to the Comedy Central spoof "Reno 911".

I personally enjoy Reno 911.

"Excuse me sir, do you realize your balls are hanging out?"

It has its moments, but I don't usually watch it. It's a bit too stupid.
(Of course, I'm not a TV watcher.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Ba r r y

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:16:22 -0400, Silvan
wrote:

It has its moments, but I don't usually watch it. It's a bit too stupid.
(Of course, I'm not a TV watcher.)

It's about as stupid as stupid can be, which is why it works when I'm
in the mood for truly mindless entertainment. G

Barry
Charlie Self

Barry responds:

It has its moments, but I don't usually watch it. It's a bit too stupid.
(Of course, I'm not a TV watcher.)

It's about as stupid as stupid can be, which is why it works when I'm
in the mood for truly mindless entertainment. G

I always believed the argument against the inanity of TV was specious. We all
need some inanity from time to time. Drivel often makes reality easier to bear.

What I can't stand for more than 30-40 minutes at a time is advertising. The
marketing mind that presents itself on TV is a truly marvelous thing. One
marvels that the parents didn't strangle the infant at birth.

Charlie Self
"When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
hereditary." Thomas Paine
RonB

I'm Kinda sorry I started this.

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

The marketing mind that presents itself on TV is a truly marvelous thing.
One marvels that the parents didn't strangle the infant at birth.

I feel the same way about used car salesmen, and, well, anybody in any
flavor of the sales trade.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

What I can't stand for more than 30-40 minutes at a time is advertising.

Now up to 15 + minutes in some 30 minute time slots.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Charlie Self

Swingman responds:

What I can't stand for more than 30-40 minutes at a time is advertising.

Now up to 15 + minutes in some 30 minute time slots.

In the mists of memory, the feds had at one time limited advertising, or the
networks did so voluntarily to keep from having the feds do it, to about 7
minutes per 30. Doubling that had to help profits, but also drove audiences
away, IMO.

As I recall, this was one of the more benign influences of cable.

Charlie Self
"When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
hereditary." Thomas Paine
David Hall

And it's relevant to the original point because these people have to give
permission to show their arrest/shame/other humiliation on TV.

"Sir, we have shots of you running out of your trailer with no pants on,
including prominent views of your hair butt crack, right before the cops
whacked you in the head with the billy club and washed the vomit off your
belly with a fire hose before shoving you in the car. Would you please
sign this release so we can feature it on national TV? Thanks."

You forgot the part about "here's $20 so you can buy some more booze".
George

Time is _much_ cheaper on cable stations. Nobody is gouging, in spite of
conspiracy theories. Most agencies will also allow targeting advertising
across channels with similar demographic for a modest extra fee.

FCC licenses over-the-air and rules apply.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
In the mists of memory, the feds had at one time limited advertising, or

the
networks did so voluntarily to keep from having the feds do it, to about 7
minutes per 30. Doubling that had to help profits, but also drove

audiences
away, IMO.

As I recall, this was one of the more benign influences of cable.

J. Clarke

George wrote:

Alpha particle, produced by radioactive decay, electrified. Any where but
under a lot of cover, gone to space.

So why only in gas wells? There are plenty of places on Earth where there
is "a lot of cover" and no helium.

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/phys...aParticle.html

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

If you're talking about Fred Hoyle the astronomer, he was hardly a
"loon". And it is a reasonable question--where did the helium come from
and why is it in those deposits and no others?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 18:14:59 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

So why only in gas wells? There are plenty of places on Earth where there
is "a lot of cover" and no helium.

But where else do we go drilling for it, into a large volume where the
lighter gases have already had a chance to stratify.
George

Precisely. The geology of helium wells is fairly unique, but the real
reason for examining it is the methane.

Then there's the question of radioactive source, which we're unconcerned
about, but is required for the phenomenon.

news